[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>At work >Around 20 laptops get decommissioned (No, no
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1
>At work
>Around 20 laptops get decommissioned (No, no thinkpads)
>Only thing that was done with them during decommissioning was taking out the hard drives and physically destroying them while everything else was left untouched
>Get permission from boss that I can keep one of the decommissioned laptops (they were going to be thrown away and recycled anyway)
>Take it home and turn it on
>BIOS password preventing from boot
>Inventory ID tag was ripped off so can't check who it belonged to in the system
>Service tag shows that laptop is out of warranty and HP support refuses to help me since company doesn't have HP out of warranty service or some shit like that

I know that you have to replace/reflash the BIOS chip, but should I even bother doing that or just throw it into the recycle bin at work? It's HP Compaq 6735B btw.
>>
Project is dead but I'm sure you can find the files of you look hard enough

http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/49497-HP-Probook-Elitebook-BIOS-Password-Reset-Utility
>>
Give it back, Jamal
>>
>>55515072
Wait, how do you even use this if you can't even boot into any OS or change BIOS settings
>>
>>55515118
CMOS reset the password?
>>
>>55514968
did you already try removing all power from the laptop? you need to take out the battery and the CMOS(RTC) battery.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Video-Display-and-Touch/Reset-BIOS-Password-EliteBook-8540w/m-p/927235#M30136

it would help to know the laptop's specific model.
>>
>>55515309
>>55515366
Throws up BIOS Password recovery error (500), reboots and asks for password again
>>
>>55515072
Righto, found it. Now how do I get the UUID from the laptop and actually get it to boot from the USB stick?
>>
give it back jamal
>>
>>55514968
duh just take the MB battery out and put it back in. Depending on what laptop this may be simple or hard af to get to the battery.
>>
>>55515756
As I said, resetting the CMOS/RTC does jack shit
>>
>>55515652

UUID, no idea.

But I think you'll find most HP laptops of that vintage will have a BIOS recovery force flash option. I had a 2540p and you had to hold a particular key combo and have a USB floppy/emulated floppy plugged in and it would blindly flash the file and beep when it was done.
>>
>>55515873
Yeah, apparently the key combination is Windows + B

All I got it to do was just black screen with flashing caps lock icon, Doesn't seem like it's doing anything in such state with the USB plugged in
>>
>>55515811
yeah a lot of laptops dont keep bios pass on cmos anymore
>>
>>55515811
there might be reset pins on the motherboard. check the documentation
>>
>>55516440
Alright, gonna go open it now
>>
>>55516440
Took it apart and checked the documentation
no such thing as reset pins or jumpers
>>
Fuck it, just gonna throw the whole thing into the recycling bin at work
>>
Give it back Jamal.
>>
>>55516141

That's because it'll only take a USB floppy or a thumb drive that can emulate a FDD.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.