[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the hardest IT job overall? Or one that commands
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: verticalscaling.jpg (5 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
verticalscaling.jpg
5 KB, 250x250
What's the hardest IT job overall? Or one that commands the most respect?

I think I'd have to say DBA.

>requires a wide breadth of knowledge from various technology fields and some very specific knowledge. Can take a very long time before you're considered a "good DBA"
>responsibility is huge since you're responsible for a client's data
>little to no room for errors or mistakes
>requires very good communication skills as you have to work with a variety of technology or business professionals
>can't afford downtime since a majority of applications are very dependent on databases... if it occurs databases must be brought back up ASAP

What do you think?
>>
>>55504953
>What's the hardest IT job overall?
Critical incident manager.

Somewhere between herding kittens and trying to outsmart raptors.

>Or one that commands the most respect?
Data center manager.

Want to play games? Get your shit out of my data center. On, and I'm the DCM, so you're going to have to run that lab in your office, because you're not running it here.
>>
>>55504976
Incident management definitely seems stressful. I'd probably hate the job after a couple of years.
>>
>>55504953
I know it's not the hardest, but online tech support can be rough sometimes, since it combines many aspects of call centre work with tech support, with the added difficulty that you don't have the machine within reach to look at and work on yourself.

You roll with it though, and I get to work from home. Thinking of applying to Lockheed Martin though, they looking for people locally and probably have a great benefits package.
>>
What about SAP technician for a big company? I tried and failed because it was like trading my sanity for money and it was such a dry and dull work environment
>>
>>55505083
>this

I'm a tier 3 tech support for Xerox, but my actual job description has more to do with Apple devices- go figure.

With how simple Apple products are you'd imagine a toddler could figure them out, but alas I'm never surprised by the stupidity of aging housewives that can't pay sync up their latest bachelorette episodes on iTunes. He horror!
>>
>>55505083
>>55505146
Honestly dealing with people is one of the aspects I hate the most in IT.

I wish I could just be some kind of hermit that no one bothers and I just maintain the systems.
>>
>>55504953
>DBA
no
>>
>>55505237
Why not?
>>
>>55505146
>>55505201
I'm with Geek Squad. Honestly I don't mind dealing with people half the time, but prefer it through chat than over the phone... I may or may not be working at the moment, and the morning is just a slow one.
>>
>>55504953
Of course everyone is gonna say, their own job.

But my weeks been a hell, I work in Financial Tech doing support for end-users. It's essentially a call centre job but there's no defined roles and I've gotten the chance to learn lots about IT business practice, just not much technical skills.

Last month, a team member left. Then, the company that brought us out 2 years ago started a fight with the previous owner who was in caretaker mode. The company forced us out of the building with the previous owner, and my team leader quit. So I got promoted just as we settled into a temporary office.

Then we're pretty sure the previous owner starting fucking around with endpoints and B2B and all our systems went down once a day. First week as team leader and I had more downtime than the two team leaders I had been under for 2 years, and we're down 2/5th of our usual team size. Big name banks loan processing systems went down - fucking fire came raining down, and I copped all of it.

Pretty chuffed I made it through the roughest period this job could have though, looking forward to next week.
>>
>>55505083
Is not that is hard per se, but it can be stressing, specially if the clients (and your boss) is putting pressure on you to respond back and solve their problems.

And I do it via forums and tickets.. can't even imagine in real time (I might have to eventually, but I started only a month ago, some coworkers with more experience do it).
>>
>>55504953
Data scientist.
>>
I've been working at my job doing general IT work for a few plants (plastic extrusions and such) for a few years now and I have to say although it may net be the roughest, network admining can be really rough. I work with a guy who is the Network admin and right when I started is when the company was switching over from standard phones to lab phones using the Lync system (kill me now) and over the course of the year and a half it took to install the few thousand phones and such, his hair has greyed and he is not as relaxed as he use to be. I would never do his job, to much stress.
>>
IT manager

>have to handle the herd of cats that IT people are
>have to deal with the absolute morons that the non-IT people are

Shittiest position to be in, tbqh.
>>
>>55505251
no
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.