[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it even possible to be a freelance network architect? or is
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: sbjozszjhk6siezm4fqs.png (97 KB, 140x140) Image search: [Google]
sbjozszjhk6siezm4fqs.png
97 KB, 140x140
Is it even possible to be a freelance network architect? or is network architect just a title companies give, and if you freelance you're always a network engineer.
>>
everything is just a title
>>
It's all just a title.

My first job was a 'network engineer' at a small business consulting company. I made $12/HR cleaning spyware and setting up printers.
>>
>>55500593
And installing adobe reader, no doubt
>>
>>55500611
No doubt.
>>
I work for a massive software company and architect roles are the highest technical track you can achieve. My internal org of 300 people has only one. It's the top of the top.
>>
>>55500653
but is it applicable to a freelancer?
>>
>>55500653
I'm at a medium size company of which about 600 are software engineering. The group under my manager is about 40 software engineers, of which about 30 all work on one application. Three are lead programmers and one is an architect.

Architect is a high role but it can mean a lot of things. It's just a title, as a result.
>>
Just name yourself as Network Architect as a freelancer, it's just a title and they don't really matter for freelancers
>>
>>55500768
Generally how long does it take to become an architect at your company? Do they have to have management experience?
>>
>>55501606
I'm the other guy, but as it's the top position on the technical track, it is not a management position in that you will not have people reporting to you, but it is a leadership position that will pay senior management money, maybe even director level money.

The nice thing about big tech companies is that they have separate management and technical tracks so you don't have to go into management later in your career. Also it's not unusual for senior technical staff to be paid more than their manager.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.