[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's a good laptop I can get for $1000?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2
File: image.png (86 KB, 960x655) Image search: [Google]
image.png
86 KB, 960x655
What's a good laptop I can get for $1000?
>>
>>55500457
Chromebook.
>>
Buy as many thinkpads as you can. That's the only thing that matters.
>>
>>55500465
How are these at running games?
>>
How does the xps 15 compare to an x1 carbon (4th gen)
>>
Inspiron 7559
>>
>>55500457
Thinkpad T520 for $200
>>
>>55500582
The hardware won't be able to run any games, and neither will the os
>>
HP specter 13.3
Wait for it to go on sale down to $1000.
>>
1-) Thinkpad
2-) Thinkpad
3-) Thinkpad
>>
Not a laptop.
>>
File: Macbook with Kali Linux.jpg (269 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
Macbook with Kali Linux.jpg
269 KB, 2048x1536
>All these NEETs suggesting shitty chink-tier laptops
Get a MacBook Pro with Retina Display, OP. I have one and I love it.
>>
>>55500457
Dell XPS 13
If you want gaymen, get the XPS 15 because you can use an external gpu on that shit
>>
>>55501382
That image is golden.
>>
>>55501382
bad bate.
thinkpads are not chink-tier (well maybe the new ones) but the older ones are tanks
>>
>>55501438
Cant an xps 13 use an egpu? Also don't the 15 already have dedicated graphics?
>>
Acer aspire e15, get the i7 buy some ram and hdd then you good.
>>
Not the OP, but which one of these is better? keep in mind that im not from the US, also, all of them are used:

1.- Thinkpad T520 with 4gb of ram and a i5 2520m for $210
2.- Dell Latitude E5540 with 6gb of ram and a 4th generation i5 (doesnt say which model) for $270
3.- Latitude E6320 4gb of ram 2nd generation i5 for $197

I want something which may last as long as possible, since im a poorfag and god knows when i may be able to afford another laptop (last one i bought was back then in 2011)
Also, ive had bad experiences with Thinkpads, since last one i bought (a T61p) lasted me just 1 and a half years. But since you guys insists that they are amazing so i may give it a 2nd chance.
Want it for college, browsing and to watch movies.
>>
>>55502019
Second has the most powerful guts

1 and 3 are both 2nd gen i5
>>
>>55502019
I'm a total thinkfag but Option 2 is the best deal out of your options

I have an E5540 at work, it's a pretty badass machine. Sturdy as fuck, aluminum body. I don't know the battery life since it lives in a dock most of the time but I wanna say it's at least 6 hours. You can get an extended battery if the one you're looking at doesn't have one. For that price it's definitely the best deal by far, they still sell new for over a grand

T520 still has a spot in my heart for dat 7 row keyboard tho

E6320 seems to be the worst of the three, doesnt even take a 1080p panel and unlike the T520 has no 7 row keyboard, so it has no redeemable features
>>
>>55502019
2 is a steal, even on ebay those things sell for $500 and up
>>
>>55502019
If you watch a lot of movies 2 has the best screen, if a bit of a blue hue

1 has better colors on its display (that is, if it is one with the 1080p display) but a worse viewing angle
>>
ThinkPad 13
>>
>>55502019
>But since you guys insists that they are amazing so i may give it a 2nd chance.
The main reason we insist it is that they're cheap as fuck.

Really though, we appreciate all business class laptops. Thinkpads just happen to be the most common in the US, and until recent models had a notoriously good keyboard. But, any business laptop you get is going to be a shitload better than consumer crap.

2 is a nice deal, those sell for $500-$700 here, and it's way better than the equivalent Thinkpad T540, so that means that deal overrides our Thinkpad boners, get that one
>>
>>55502484
I know that, but is the gap between prices worth it? we are talking about 60-73 more... which i could use instead to either buy more ram or get a SSD.

>>55502532
Aluminum body? thats pretty cool, battery life doesnt really matter since id practically use it as if it were a desktop, id just occasionally take it out for school and shit.
How's the screen? im partially blind so a good screen might be a deal breaker here. And keyboard? decent keyboard never hurts.

>>55502595
Hah! and i thought it was expensive, im used to expensive shit here.
I might get the 2nd one since it seems to be so good, hope it last tho, im pretty unlucky when it comes to buy used shit.
>>
>>55502660
>hope it last tho, im pretty unlucky when it comes to buy used shit.
Well, I dropped mine off my 4 foot standing table and accidentally yanked it off the table by ethernet cable twice and it's still working so it must be pretty sturdy

>How's the screen? im partially blind so a good screen might be a deal breaker here.
It's the only IPS display out of the three, the other two are TN. 1 and 2 are both 1080p so that might be a bit hard to read since text will be small. But you can fuck with DPI settings or use a lower resolution in your OS to mitigate that.
>>
>>55502660
>I know that, but is the gap between prices worth it? we are talking about 60-73 more... which i could use instead to either buy more ram or get a SSD.
If youre lucky it already has an SSD/Intel Rapid Start coming with it

Any more info on what's in that particular laptop?
>>
>>55502604
As long as it lasts... at first i wasnt too convinced about T61p's yellowish screen and i ended up liking it, hope that blueish tone works for me.

>>55502641
They arent really cheap here, thats why im unsure about thinkpads anymore.
I ended up overpaying for mine and it didnt last long, plus it'd get really hot while using it (which, afaik this particular must have been faulty since they seem to run somewhat cool)

>>55502682
I actually like the fact it has a high res, it will be great while watching movies/reading/coding (which im learning)
And yeah like you said i may just tweak my DPI settings, since i dont like to use set my screen at any different res than native one.

>>55502709
Not much, but it doesnt have a SSD (or i doubt so) since he only mentions a capacity of 320gb.

Thank you all for your answers, seems like that particular laptop might actually be a good deal.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.