[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Tell me about your parents, /g/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 4
File: man-holding-DTX.jpg (134 KB, 400x367) Image search: [Google]
man-holding-DTX.jpg
134 KB, 400x367
Are your parents tech-competent, /g/? Were they a positive/negative influence in your interest in tech?

My dad turned 60 this year, and it got me to think about he was an influence on me choosing tech as a career option. He works at the local branch of a cable company as a manager for a lot of the maintenance techs (running diagnostics and fixing shit). My brother and I always had good internet and ample computer access. He's decent enough with computers that he can do minor troubleshooting/swap out drives/install operating systems, but he's good at wiring/electrical stuff, something I find most "CS" students I've met fairly incompetent with.

pic semi related
>>
My father is the coolest fucking dad ever. I learned everything I know from him. How to assemble parts, how to solder, how to fucking even fix bent motherboard pins. I am currently making myself a computer and I got most of my parts from his "lab" for free. An UEFI motherboard, 8GB DDR3 RAM, i5, a motherfucking 600W Cooler Master PSU, RAID10 HDD + SSD etc. etc. You get the deal. He's one of the persons that used a Commodore 64, heck even a IBM Model M computer in Turkey. Yes, they were not common in Turkey but he fucking used them. My father is the fucking best.
>>
>>55499134
Sounds pretty nuts anon, what does he do for a living?
>>
>>55499102
>but he's good at wiring/electrical stuff, something I find most "CS" students I've met fairly incompetent with

CS is basically only the software side, so it's pretty obvious, I'm not too competent at it either being a software technician.

Computer Engineers are the ones that know their shit about electronics, and obviously Electrical/Electronical engineers/technicians, in my family my dad works in Electronics and my uncle with Electricity, but they know how to handle computers.

Honestly I want to go more for the hardware side myself, but there isn't a CE career available in my country, the closest to this is EE or Electronical Technologist, I think I'm gonna aim for the second one as I have to work aswell in the meantime.
>>
My dad yelled at me for putting Google Chrome on his computer 6 years ago when I was 14 because "I don't know that it doesn't have a virus" and that Internet Explorer has been proven scientifically to be the most secure web browser. So yeah. Take from that what you will.

>inb4 botnet

Useless argument when it's a choice between IE and Chrome.
>>
>>55499649
To be fair Chrome was a new thing and a third party free software, "virus" "spyware" "botnet", there isn't that much of a difference, your dad was wise and quite right.

You are the illiterate normie cuck that embraces the botnet (and try to make other people do it, luckily your dad was smarter and didn't listen to you).

Let me with IE over Chrome.
>>
Dad's a dba.
Mom is a musician, and completely tech illiterate.
>>
Pretty much all my alive male relatives are or at some point had careers in computing, which is pretty odd.
First programmer in my family was at least as early as 1951, since one of my grandfathers claims to have worked on the LEO I in its first run.
>>
>>55499690
You're an idiot. IE is unusable.
>>
>>55499102
My father worked on System V, and he's still obsessed with the UNIX philosophy to this day. I got into Linux after he wouldn't stop lamenting to me about systemd at breakfast.
>>
>>55499273
He is an anesteshi-something (I don't know the English word) teacher at a high school, but he also owned a tech repair/internet cafe. Dropped the internet cafe section last year.
>>
>>55499102
Mine has always been good, first computer I got he actually built.

Had all the old technology mostly related to his high tech job with the oil industry and the electrical engineering degree in part.
>>
>>55499134
GOD DAYUM imma jelly
>>
My dad is an electrical engineer, and how he interacts with tech is very strange.
For example, he is very bad at dealing with most consumer tech (simple things like navigating settings in his phone, changing the audio of a video he's watching but leaving the system volume at 0, etc) but he's very adept with things such as Linux and programming.

A bit of a strange combo, but overall I think he's been beneficial to how I view technology. While he hasn't necessarily pushed me towards technology, he's always been supportive and appreciative of the fact that I'm technologically literate and can have some discussions with him on more advanced topics,and help him out with the simple stuff.

He's an electrical engineer that designs micro chips btw.
>>
>>55499102
My father is fairly tech-competent. He's not actually a programmer, but he understands technology fairly well and has done some web development.
My father was no doubt a positive influence on my interest in technical subjects, largely from a genetic point of view - I inherited his nerdy disposition and, to an extent, high IQ.
>>
My dad is an electrician for Amtrak trains

The only thing I ever saw him do related to electricity is solder in a chip to my PS1 to play copied games, and he occasionally used a voltmeter for batteries or whatever

I am an electrical engineer, but I attest this mainly towards wanting to do something sciency from my love of NASA as a kid, and being super interested in electricity after learning about induction
>>
>>55499102
No and negative. They aways said I was breaking shit and wasting my time on computers. They almost never wanted to upgrade my pc too, I was using a Windows 98 machine in 2006.
>>
>mom worked as a webmaster for a state bar
>can barely work a TV or video options on the PS3
>>
>>55500699
>PS3
To be fair using the controller to do a thing is pretty unintuitive.
>>
>>55500631
its possible he has decades of experience with the "older" style stuff, wheras how to navigate a smartphone while not difficult, does need to "get the hang of it"........the old dog new tricks thing, he'll adapt but it isn't cemented in his brain for the past 30 years in a logical way
>>
>>55500699
>PS3
Do her a favor, get her to PC Master Race.
>>
>>55500813
Yeah I think this is a pretty accurate assessment. He's quite competent but he just doesn't have much interest in newer technology like smartphones.
>>
Dad is 42, mom is 38

Both are pretty good with technology, not as adept with newer stuff but my mom grew up with punch cards and terminals, she knows her way around everything up until you get to repairing individual parts.

My dads about the same, but he knows how to fix hardware issues, repasting the CPU, etc

When I ramble about tech shit nothing goes over their heads really
>>
>>55500829
We actually have a Roku and she has a laptop, the PS3 was just hanging around from years ago. For a while it's basically been a streaming box with a handful of games I occasionally play.
>>
File: IMEkfgH.jpg (1 MB, 3840x2160) Image search: [Google]
IMEkfgH.jpg
1 MB, 3840x2160
My Dad was a Sys-admin in Merrill Lynch on the Municipal Bonds support at their Lower Manhattan location. This was before he got fucked over like so many other by that horribly shit CEO that destroyed the firm. Later in life he moved over from sysadmin work to infosec when got his CISSP and later on more esoteric auditing for PCI DSS for compliance which is less technical but still requires you to have past knowledge.

Case in point he had an influence on me and obviously had to be technically competent. We had computers and internet during the early 90's. I was 5 years old and I had access to dial up in '95. I guess I was lucky to see a server/data center and see him work in them. But specifically I saw was a true dead end sysadmin work was and the bullshit horrible time he had finding work in IT after his tenure at Merril. Which is why I cringe when people brag about working to degrees in IT when so much of the admin work can be done remotely in lights out facilities by poo in loo pajeets in India.
He did tell me and his own regrets is he never really got into coding and its only now he and I really seriously taking a stab at a language (python).
>>
>>55500932
That being said, since he is no longer as involved with hardware and PC building, he is now scoffing at my idea of building a high end gaming PC and probably rightly so that I should be focusing on software skills and development.

That and he is pretty much now gone over to the Mint flavor over the shit storm that is now win10.
>>
I finally convinced my mom that Facebook isn't the whole internet
>>
>>55500346
You DO know that Firefox exists right??
>>
My parents are in the middle. Both have engineering degrees from the late 80's and took programming courses (them promptly forgot about them). My mom is a structural engineer so she's very good with AutoCAD but is average outside of that. My dad is a project manager so he knows Excel well and enjoys torrenting music, but is again average outside of that and clueless with 2010s tech. He hates having to borrow my mom's Moto G because he can't figure out how to use it (and he was just as confused by her Windows Phone before that).
>>
>>55501078
>Not using Opera
fuck off pajeet
>>
File: 1467561367599.webm (997 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1467561367599.webm
997 KB, 1280x720
Grandfather built my first computer in 2001 or 2000 out of scrap from my father's job as a hotel technician although today my father is a big Apple lover.
My mother knows jack shit about tech she always needs help even to change the input on the TV.
>>
My dad is a financial inspector and he is a stupid smartphone fag.
He does everything with it, except (I hope) cleaning his sperm after fap session.

He looks fucking retarded when he watches younger girls, pretty crappy mouth with big eyes.

At home he sleeps all the time and he is becoming super fat, 88kg at the moment but 76kg 5 months ago. He is pretty small, something like 1m68.

He has a big nose but slim glasses and some kind of herpes near his mouth. He looks like a muscled nerd, yes he did tennis and his right arm is fucking big.

He is a football fag too and he can't stop screaming all the time.

He doesn't even know how to use a microwave so I think it's fucking too late to learn something to him about technologies.
>>
>>55499102
I only have a father. He is 57 this year, he was car/cnc mechanics for his whole life.
When I was a kid he thought I will not be able to handle myself in life. However I moved away when I was 18, found a job and went to uni. No one really had ANY believes that I would succeed which really sucked. My sister was spreading shitty words as if I were half-aspergers. I know that my father is a simple man but still he let this spread as well. "We have problems with anon. He doesn't go to school. He doesn't listen, it's as if you were talking to a wall". When I received my engineering degree my uni sent a invitation email to him because I had been in top 5 students of my year. He didn't come. I just got my degree, left the university and got really, really fucked for the next 3 days.

Fuck you now bitch
> 24
> senior backend developer
> 80k £/year
> my own house, car
> travel with gf once every 2 months (unpaid holidays)
>>
I didn't even know my mom was a math/CS double major until I started going to school for CS. It's her fault I got into thinkpads though.
>>
>>55499102
Dads an avionics technician at Boeing after being in the airforce 30 years, he's technically skilled but lacks knowledge on computers.

He inspired me from an early age because we're Australian so he's a massive pirate, from ripping dvds in the early days, to modding my consoles and then ending up torrenting lately. That isn't really technically literate but it was enough to show me if you want to get something, or get something done, do some research and figure out how to do it.

Mums just computer literate as in being an office wiz and general for-a-purpose computer usage.
>>
Dad was a electrician in Vietnam. Did all the line work. He moved to Burgerland and got a job wiring up consoles for glue machines, went to Malaysia or something to do electrical work for Intel. Now he works as a maintenance electrician at a food factory. He bought me a Dell beige box when I was two and learned basic computer stuff from him, but he's surprisingly tech illiterate. Now he's joined the Appol cult. I don't know how he would react if I told him I had Debian installed on my computer so I just told him it was Windows. He had me do stuff around the house with him so I'm glad I know how to handle tools.

Mom used to bum my laptop to stream badly Viet dubbed Korean dramas but now she does it on her iPad. I found out that she forgot how to use a laptop after she tried to navigate by touching the screen.
>>
Truthfully, I've never truly understood what my father does. He's worked at IBM, CNN, Boeing, and a bunch of other shit. He works for VMWare now. He definitely brought the tech into our home as I was growing up, but he never taught me much. Most of what I know I learned from dicking around. I still don't know much of anything truthfully; just enough for family members to pester me for tech support.
>>
>>55499102
>Describe in single words, only the good things that come into your mind, about .. your parents?

My parents? Let me tell you about my parents.

pew! pew!
>>
Mom is dead, drowned when she backed her car into a deep pond leaving a friend's house in a blizzard. She was a drug addict anyways so i dont really care. Tech wise she never used any, at least that i saw. She had a basic phone and that was it.

Dad is a maintenance mechanic that now programs PLCs for his work despite typing with 2 fingers at 10 wpm. He uses his work laptop as his personal and only uses apple devices after having a horrible low end HTC android a while ago. He has no interest in tech at all despite being good at troubleshooting. His old personal laptop (its from 2002 or something, low end crap) is full of viruses because he has never updated XP on it afaik.
>>
They both can program in mainframe assembly. Feels good having teh loterate parents.

>>55499134
Hello fellow kebab
>>
>>55502899
>teh loterate
Tech literate*, I fucked up
>>
Dad was a farmer and had some nice mechanical skills, welding, machine repair, that stuff. Used his cell phone all day long (because business) but never used a computer.

Mom works in a book store, has been using the internet since 1998. Still uses AOL and hasn't gotten totally into computers, but she finds her way around.
>>
>>55501795
Did you never speak to her from ages 0-18?
>>
My parents got divorced when I was 7 years old. Don't have much RAM of my dad but he did have a computer running Windows 3.1. He showed me the commands to get Lemmings and a few other games running. I guess that's where I got my Interest in computers. Ay dad if you're on here FUCK YOU.
>>
>>55502899
Hello you non-kenab pleb. How is your day?
>>
My dad was a old school DBA, one of the first people in the UK to setup Oracle Databases in the 1980s, worked on COBOL mainframes for banks etc.

Now he's an Enterprise Architect but very in demand because of how much COBOL is used. Its scary sometimes he says when he works with banks and they have 70% of their infrastructure working on old COBOL mainframes which haven't been turned off for 20 years.
>>
>>55502973
My mother is deaf you inconsiderate fuck
>>
File: 1467649080963.png (369 KB, 566x566) Image search: [Google]
1467649080963.png
369 KB, 566x566
>tfw I'm the only "techy" person in the house and not even really good at it
>tfw reading the thread and got jelly as fuck at some of you guys parents
>tfw both my mom and dad are farmer
>>
Both parents are dead, when they were alive they were somehow familiar with technology, they taught me the basics, I learned from there.
>>
>>55501099
>not using Vivaldi
It's as if you're not even trying to computer.
>>
>>55500346
>still falling for this meme
IE is not the best browser, but it is far from unusable anymore. You have to be 18 to post here and should learn some things about software and related fields before you post.
>>
Parents are teachers who used to know basic and used try to make the computers do cool graphic animations. Since windows dumbed down the operating systems, all they do now is facebook and facebook games
>>
>>55503380
>. Its scary sometimes he says when he works with banks and they have 70% of their infrastructure working on old COBOL mainframes which haven't been turned off for 20 years.

You understand why though?
>>
>That feel when my dad is convincing me to move over to Linux.

I now understand his hatred for windows especially from his experience of working in a server/production environment.

I have to ask myself why any major enterprise would use Server 2013 on any of their systems aside from user workstations.
>>
My father lost his computer skills with Windows 3.11
>>
>>55499102
My mum worked as a script writer for the BBC. Now she doesn't know what the fucking backspace button does. Absolute thicko - she's just spent two hours making an eBay listing which I could've done in about 20 minutes.
>>
Dad is retired military, now works at a military school. Mom is a school teacher. So I became a student with no skills and no cronyism from my parents to help.

>oh wow son you built a computer all by yourself
>wow, how did you get my phone to do that!
>my son is a computer wizard
Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.