[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Google is making better apps for the iPhone than for Android
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
File: Perfection.jpg (2 MB, 1920x1280) Image search: [Google]
Perfection.jpg
2 MB, 1920x1280
Even Google realizes how shit and not worth spending time on Android is.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/7/8/12109832/google-apps-iphone-android-motion-stills-gboard-search-hangouts

>Here’s a thing I didn’t really expect to write: I’m finding that I enjoy Google’s apps more on iOS than I do on Android. Or more specifically: I think that there’s more interesting innovation coming out of Google’s iOS app teams than on Android — at least for the moment.

>Back in May, my colleague Ben Popper talked about how Google’s apps on iOS were so good that he saw little reason to switch over to Android, despite the fact that he spends so much time in Google’s waters. Lately, I’ve found myself in basically the same boat. Email? Inbox. Calendar? Google Calendar. Keyboard? Gboard. Maps? Duh. The list goes on and on.

>[Google Keyboard] It’s so good, it makes me wonder why the hell it isn’t on Android. Apparently there are plans to "bring the same functionality to Android," but it sure seems like the iOS side of things is where the innovation is happening right now. Perhaps it's that constraints tend to breed creative solutions, or perhaps it’s just that – even for Google engineers — iOS is simply easier to develop great apps for.

>Let’s take one example: Hangouts, Google’s oft-maligned (and justly so!) chat app. On iOS, it feels coherent and consistent. On Android, the design and placement of the buttons change seemingly every other month. On iOS, you can use extensions to share directly to a person in a chat right inside the pop-up share sheet. Google added the ability for apps to do something like that on Android in October 2015, with a feature called "Direct Share." Hangouts only began supporting it last month.

More at the link
>>
>>55485452
>directly linking to the verge
Kill yourself.
>>
>>55485481
>>>4*2chan
>>>/r/kotakuinaction
>>>/v/
>>
Its because only Indians develop apps for Android, whereas white, educated Americans are able to program for iOS.
>>
Everyone's apps are better on iOS.

Much better APIs, clear human-interface design guidelines and programming best practices, almost everyone is running the latest OS, known hardware.
>>
>>55485509
I think there's actually something to be said for this.

Programming for iOS requires a Mac, which is difficult for 3rd worlders, plus the nice design of iOS will influence programmers to make nicely designed programs (ditto OSX apps).
>>
Don't have much experience in app development but does Android have anything like Xcode? I used it for an hour or so and was blown away by how easy it was to make high quality stuff.
>>
>>55485452
>using shitty google aps in the first place
wew
>>
>>55485579
XCode is fucking awful once your project gets larger than a few views. Stay the away from the storyboard meme if you want to actually have consistent UX for your entire app.
>>
>>55485561
>>55485509
it all makes sense now
>>
>>55485660
What's bad about it
>>
>>55485546
Apple is also really aggressive about deprecating old APIs: keeps developers on their toes and on the cutting edge. Applies to OSX also.

If you're a business running bespoke software and using ancient hardware forever, then Window's (and Android's) commitment to backward compatibility is a big advantage. But from a consumer user's POV it explains whey those platforms suck.
>>
>The Verge
This should be a bannable offense.
>>
>>55487913
See
>>55485492
>>
Chrome on iOS is dogs hit though
>>
>>55487977
Safari is better anyway mate
>>
>>55488055
Safari performs better, but Chrome has a better interface
>>
>>55485452
they probably just don't want to crush their main competitor, otherwise they would have to deal with all the monopoly outcome bullshit
>>
File: image.jpg (2 KB, 300x57) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 KB, 300x57
>>55485481

this

also, meme captcha
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.