[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone on here use one of these for day-to-day use? I used to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: IMG_0373.jpg (483 KB, 1920x1344) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0373.jpg
483 KB, 1920x1344
Anyone on here use one of these for day-to-day use?

I used to use an older model at my highschool several years ago and I really enjoyed it.

Now I am considering the 5k 27" model, but I was just wondering if it's actually worth the price. Do any of you use it and can you justify the price tag?
>>
Wait until September to see if they're going to be refreshed
>>
>>55485360
This. They wont be, the MacbookPro probably will.
>>
>>55485347
I had one (first generation 5k) that I sold to a family member. My personal preference would be for a rMBP plus a nice 4k monitor. iMacs are basically laptop components on the inside, so unless you're looking for the whole "only 1 cord" thing, it's not really worth it.
>>
The 5k model uses an integrated laptop GPU. Keep that in mind if you plan on ever doing anything more intense than web browsing/office work.
>>
>>55485414
This. Portability and the potential for a large monitor is way more important.
>>
I use a 2008 iMac. It's only my main machine because I've got servers for when I actually need power. It's definitely worth it
>>
>>55485360
I planned on waiting until then to see if the price would at least go down.

>>55485414
Taken into consideration

>>55485466
I don't game at all, but it might be a problem for development (I design 3D differential gears for CNC machines).

>>55485491
Sorry dad
>>55485494
Yep, those were what I used in highschool. Those were nice.

>>55485516
Sorry dad
>>
>>55485516
you guys keep misspelling kiss. what's the deal?
>>
>>55485494
Using a 2008 iMac too.
One of these day I need to reformat this thing to clear out the cruft. There's stuff still lingering from the G5 I used before it.
>>
>>55485628
The nice thing about an iMac is that they seem to work for all of time. I gave my parents my old 2008 iMac and not even they have managed to fuck it up too bad. I have a friend who's family has a circa 2005 iMac that's still plugging along for web browsing and productivity apps.
>>
>>55485663
That stability sure is nice. It's a pain to have to replace my laptop every few years.

>>55485838
Sorry dad
>>
>>55485347
Yeah, we got one 27" 5K models for my wife. Nice machine. She's a photographer and really likes the screen for her post-processing work. Haven't had any issues with it yet. It was the first Apple computer she has ever used and she really enjoys it. Really, with that screen, if you have a use for it, the price isn't that bad. We got her the 4.0GHz Core i7, Radeon R9 M395X 4GB, 1TB SSD model, 8GB ram and I put more ram in it which jacked the price up. No complaints though.

If you don't have much use for the 5K screen, I wouldn't spend the extra money on it. If money isn't an issue go for it.
>>
>>55485347
I have a 21" 2013 that I use for everything but gaymen (I have a normal desktop for that).
whatever you do don't get a mac with a hard drive in it (even if it's a hybrid drive because those are terrible) and don't get it with anything less than 16 gigs of ram.
also the only good pointing device for it is the trackpad. Mice are terrible in mac os, and if you plan on using anything other than mac os on a mac just kill yourself because it will be less painful.
>>
File: imac.jpg (130 KB, 778x518) Image search: [Google]
imac.jpg
130 KB, 778x518
>>55485347
I've been using an iMac every single day since 2009

It's a good computer, never gave me problems, works as fast as day 1.

It's silent as fuck and has a good screen, its really comfy for watching videos and shitposting on imageboards
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.