[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Google Alternatives Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1
File: photo.png (12 KB, 512x512) Image search: [Google]
photo.png
12 KB, 512x512
So what are some decent alternatives to Google's services such as:

>Android
>Gmail
>YouTube
>Google Search
>Chrome
>Google+
>etc

I'm getting really tired of Google's shit and I don't feel like supporting them anymore.
>>
>>55478350
>ios or windows
>hotmail or any other provider
>vimeo
>duckduckgo or bing
>firefox or pale moon
>wtf a google+ user? you guys exist?
>etc

im getting really tired of you niggaz who cant google their problems
>>
>decent alternative to Android
>implying

I agree with the rest though, you can find better alternatives for everything else. Except Android.
>>
>Windows Phone
>Outlook
>Vimeo
>Bing
>Edge
>Facebook
The alternatives exist, you just refuse to look at them.
>>
>>55478350
>Replicant
>cock.li
>vimeo
>startpage
>firefox
>4chan
>>
>Android
iOS, BBOS
Only iOS really seems to be supported right now though. I guess Windows too but everything about microsoft is so fucking odd. Could also go the AOSP route.

>Gmail
Curious about good email providers too, not just for personal use, but also similar to the google apps for work program. Are there any really good ones?

>YouTube
None really due to this being content based. You can stop giving google money on youtube by using a variety of ad blocking/script blocking software. Sure there are other video hosts like dailymotion, vimeo, but content likely won't be the same.

>Chrome
Brave browser or one of the various firefox forks until firefox gets shit together officially.

>Google+
Don't know why anyone is still using this, there are way too many social networking sites (or blogging tools) to bother listing them all.
>>
>>55478418
>>55478459
>>55478465
>Video

Wew
>>
>>55478350
>fighting a monopoly
welp, enjoy your broken and unsupported unknown shit!
>>
>>55478602
>unsupported unknown shit
>>
>>55478350
>Anything other then android
>Cock.li+thunderbird
>Literally any website
>Firefox
>Facebook or diaspora if you want open source.
>>
>Android
gapps free android. Cyanogenmod + Fdroid
>Gmail
Fastmail
>YouTube
Vimeo to upload your own stuff if you need to, otherwise just browse youtube not logged into an account with uMatrix/ublock.
>Google Search
Duck Duck Go
>Chrome
Firefox
>Google+
No one uses this
>etc
Open Street Maps for Google maps, otherwise just use it while not logged in if you need to use it once in a while.
>>
Yahoo
>>
>>55478350
>>Android
No least worse mobile OS atm, unfortunately.

>>Gmail
Mail.Ru

>>YouTube
Rutube, VKontakte, etc

>>Google Search
Yandex

>>Chrome
Firefox'

>>Google+
VKontakte

>>etc
и т.д.
>>
>>55478350
Yeah, that "hurr durr black love matters" bullshir after the death of 5 cops got on my skin too.

I have another thread opened trying to decide what Linux to use from now on ( because I'm sure Microsoft will jump on the blm bandwagon soon).
>>
>>55479765
play around with a bunch of them through their live cd/usb things
reading about them and watching videos on them is good research but not really enough
>>
>>55479979
I just need for simple things like navigating on the Internet, a good list of programs, ease to use and stability of the OS.

Don't need to be pretty desu, but the less I need the terminal, the better.

Also, my computer is not that old. Maybe xI could use Ubuntu instead of the lubuntu.
>>
>>55478418
>who cant google their problems
But that's the problem
>>
I don't' use Play Services. Firefox for browsing, email, general activity and media (background playback). Also Spotify for music if needed.
>>
>>55478350
>Android
iOS
>Gmail
Too many but gmail got pretty decent security, so it's not necessary.
>YouTube
None, rest are niche sites by now.
>Google Search
Absolutely fucking none, don't even bother.
>Chrome
Safari if you're Applelfag, Firecuck if Winshit/Looniux user
>Google+
FB ... wait, why would you use any of them? Go outside.

No real alternatives for Gmaps and many of their other shit either.
>>
>>55478350
>get a clean AOSP ROM and this solves most other problems
>k-9 mail with privacy-focus web service or self-host
>torrents and personal private network
>ixquick or DDG
>chromium or firefox
>a good AOSP ROM lets you pick how much google you want. so if you have friends on G+ you must manually install it
>>
>>55478350
>AOSP Rom
>Protonmail
>Nothing
>Startpage
>Firefox
>Who the fuck uses google+
>>
>>55480039
In that case, would probably recommend you looking into (sorry for listing a bunch but just want to give you options): ubuntu, fedora, elementary, or linux mint cinnamon.
All each have their own take. With ubuntu for example, you can even go with a minimal installation (after you've fully decided to switch to it!) and install pieces as you need - mind you this is a more hands on approach.

Personally waiting for elementary's loki to leave beta.
>>
>>55478350
>>prism-break.org
>>
>>55478350
>no alternative, don't install gapps
>protonmail
>dailymotion
>no idea
>Opera
>just don't
>>
>>55478350
>Ubuntu
>Protonmail
>Vimeo and/or DailyMotion
>Duck Duck Go
>Vivaldi and Firefox
>Needed only to shitpost on Youtube videos, otherwise Facebook.
>Et Cetera.
>>
brave browser
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.