[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is linux better than windows?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 15
I recently installed Mint 18 on my new build, and im already experiencing an insane amount of problems with it than I would have with windows. First, as a test, I installed steam using the software manager and ran it. It worked perfectly while it updated itself but as soon as I logged in it crashed. Literally in the first 10 minutes I had to find some commandline function that a normal human being would not have figured out by themselves, and create a script out of it because the steam launcher was not working at all. I then rebooted and my taskbar is invisible and insanely laggy. My mouse and keyboard are also lagging as well as any other program. Am I just retarded or is this how its supposed to function?
>>
File: 292644-1874032-reign2_image.jpg (120 KB, 360x278) Image search: [Google]
292644-1874032-reign2_image.jpg
120 KB, 360x278
>anti linux thread
>problems with steam

Every time
>>
install gentoo
>>
>>55459182
Ok, what about the instant lag?
>>
>>55459157
Thank you Jitesh. Another 10INR have been deposited in your account. Your continued support is noted.
>>
>>55459157
>Am I just retarded
Yes, you're extremely retarded. Reinstall windows 10 and stop bothering us.
>>
File: sell.jpg (39 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
sell.jpg
39 KB, 600x800
Moar Linux Hate........
>>
>>55459253
It's just /v/ kiddies on summer vacation. They'll get bored with /g/ when they return to middle school.
>>
File: hardcore-casual-gamer.jpg (32 KB, 550x230) Image search: [Google]
hardcore-casual-gamer.jpg
32 KB, 550x230
>>55459278

Thank fuck for that
>>
>>55459157
daily reminder that linux is not a product, we don't care if you use it or not.
>>
>>55459209
Sounds like you fucking around with the terminal
>>
Recently, I added Windows 7 to my machine. It broke my bootloader, which I had to repair from linux.

Then, when I booted into Windows, I was reminded that nothing fucking works in a fresh install and I had to go dig out my motherboard driver disk to install a network adapter driver before I could even get online to download any more recent drivers. These are all things that worked out of the box on my machine on linux.

Then, I tried to update windows, and it borked itself. Immediately and without wasting any time. I've never once run apt-get/yum/dnf/pacman/whateverr update and had a linux distribution immediately break itself after an install. Thankfully, I was able to return windows to a bootable state... from linux.

These are just a few reasons why I fucking hate windows and prefer linux.
>>
File: Linux.png (32 KB, 900x500) Image search: [Google]
Linux.png
32 KB, 900x500
>>
>>55459941
I find it funny that normies are still making threads like these. I can understand being put off by Debian circa 2000, but I think Ubuntu or Mint today are in fact more user friendly than Windows. Even if you do run into a problem, the tech support you get from the linux community far surpasses the joke that is Microsoft support.
>>
>muh gaymes!
>>
>>55460327
>the tech support you get from the linux community far surpasses the joke that is Microsoft support
Couldn't agree more

Installing programs through the terminal is easier than looking for the download page to an exe too.
>>
I think Linux is too hard to use for the avarage user. Somethings that are suposed to be simple take me a couple of hours of reading to do, I might not be a pro on Linux but I do have experience.

I now have windows on my home machine, reasons:
1) Games - Some games I play don't run on linux, wine doesn't deal with gpu acceleration very weel. The games that have Linux versions do run A LOT faster.

2) My wife, I had a hard time to not install MS Office, I don't want to go on the road to change OS right now.

But I kind of babysit 5 servers, 4 linux and 1 windows and I shit you not, the windows one gives me more trouble than the other 4 combined.
>>
>>55461386
>I shit you not, the windows one gives me more trouble than the other 4 combined
I find this very, very easy to believe.
>>
>>55461023
>Installing programs through the terminal is easier than looking for the download page to an exe too.
It is waaay easier, but it's also less intuitive for people who don't use a command line.

Basically, Linux is fantastic, but if you are scared by typing in commands, it is harder.
It does have a way around 99% of the things you'd need the terminal for, but Windows still supports using a GUI for everything better, even if the final result is slightly slower, or technically more difficult.
>>
>>55460327
>the tech support you get from the linux community far surpasses the joke that is Microsoft support.

Quality meme.
>>
>>55459157
>ven if you do run into a probl
If you want to play games then go with Windows, but for work all the way Linux.
I personally use osx as there are some software that I lack on Linux.
So basically, I would say:
Games - Windows
Work & Daily - Linux
Alternative - OSX
>>
>>55460327
This. Ubuntu is so much easier to configure and use, and apt is both easier and more secure than downloading random shit off the internet.
>>
>>55459157
Mint is a shit distro though.

Please try Ubuntu before talking smack about Linux, it's the real distro beginners should try.
>>
>>55460135
:^)
>>
>>55459157
Linux is not good for gaming and you should not judge an OS by the availability of manchild games.

Linux is better in terms of privacy and security
>>
>>55464666
What is shit about Mint other than automatic kernel/security updates? (Which is pretty shit)
>>
>>55465203
Lack of*
>>
>>55460327

You are 100% right about that. Microsoft's support is total junk.
>>
>>55460135

Normies are so stupid.

I miss the times back when you were supposed to actually know how computers work to use them, at least normies knew their place, which was as far away as possible from a computer.
>>
>>55464666
ubuntu is for script kiddies who wanna use loonicks because of the 1337 hackers at anonymous but are too dumb to use a command line. use mint if you actually wanna have to learn something about your OS
>>
>>55465331
>use mint if you actually wanna have to learn something about your OS
Install Arch if you want to do that. Otherwise, you're correct. Mint is superior to Ubuntu for normies because its software centre actually works for the newfags that don't know how to use CLI
>>
>>55465129
> using the smiley with a carat nose
>>
>>55465331
grata bata mata lalalalala
>>
File: 1456908074844.jpg (39 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1456908074844.jpg
39 KB, 500x500
>>55459157
>installs linux
>uses it to play games
why do people still do this. Unless you have real work to do just stay on windows.
>>
>>55461023
>Installing programs through the terminal is easier than looking for the download page to an exe too.
And more secure as well. Getting those files from softpedia or brothersoft or cnet or whatevfer, and there's like a million ads that say "download now" on them. Like holy shit. with package managers you know it's approved by the Distro developers.
>>
>>55465331
Actually, Mint is about as user friendly as Ubuntu. However, Cinnamon and Nemo have way more bugs than Unity and Nautilus.

I use Mint on my own system and Ubuntu for my work system, so I get to compare them side by side every day, and there is nothing about your comparison that really holds water.
>>
File: eyeye.jpg (2 KB, 120x125) Image search: [Google]
eyeye.jpg
2 KB, 120x125
>>55460135
>>
File: Advocacy.png (818 KB, 650x4377) Image search: [Google]
Advocacy.png
818 KB, 650x4377
>>55467430
>>
File: Best.png (913 KB, 1280x800) Image search: [Google]
Best.png
913 KB, 1280x800
>>55467994
>>
File: Arch sees an old buddy.jpg (518 KB, 641x4513) Image search: [Google]
Arch sees an old buddy.jpg
518 KB, 641x4513
>>55468005
>>
File: Hipster Linux.png (292 KB, 1682x2684) Image search: [Google]
Hipster Linux.png
292 KB, 1682x2684
>>55468018
>>
Microsoft please, we know you're lying.

Why do you reply to such obvious paid FUD, /g/?
>>
>>55468031
>>
File: Hey baby.png (407 KB, 492x611) Image search: [Google]
Hey baby.png
407 KB, 492x611
>>55468041
>>
File: Timesink OS.png (263 KB, 1660x1940) Image search: [Google]
Timesink OS.png
263 KB, 1660x1940
>>55468057
>>
>>55469544
>Archfags trying to defend their shitty os

No fucking wonders they're not going to gain anything. I actually wonder why Arch exists in the first place.

>Archfags will defend this in every way possible saying I'm some noobuntu fag - please,eat a bag of dicks and fuck off. You're as shit as your sorry excuse of a OS that is shittier than Applel's Mac OS,and you deserve to be taken into shit every time you break a thread. I'll make sure to talk shit about Arch every time.
>>
>>55469758
Honestly, I'm just posting these in response to >>55467430 because I found them kinda funny.

I actually used to use Arch inside of VMs all the time because I could rip out so much on boot. But I hated how I had to subscribe to an RSS feed that would tell me if things were going to break if I ran "pacman -Syu".

I use Debian in my VMs these days because rolling release is really nice for project VMs that you transfer between computers, it means I don't ever have to create a new VM pretty much.
>>
>$0.15 has been deposited in your account
>>
>>55460135
ANYBODY HAVE THAT WINDOWS OS OVERLAPPING ALL OTHER OS'S PIE CHART PIC?
>>
>>55459157
>using software manager
>steam problems
btfo >>>>/v/

Never had any problem with steam on linux, worked fine and without any scripts so you fucked up something.
>>
Mint 18 suuuuucks. I would use something better, like mint 17, manjaro, arch, or a different ubuntu derivative. You could also have meme- I mean gaming peripherals that require special drivers in order to work.
>>
>>55459157
>mint
Serves you right for having the babby duck syndrome.
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.