[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's your favorite linux distro? >Pic related
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 7
File: fedora.png (188 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
fedora.png
188 KB, 400x400
What's your favorite linux distro?
>Pic related
>>
>>55442884

Same here. Everything else is sub-standard, most of all slackware followed closely by gentoo.
>>
Kubuntu is fine IMHO.
>>
File: 1466534173316.png (784 KB, 2267x1763) Image search: [Google]
1466534173316.png
784 KB, 2267x1763
>>55442884
So far? Debian stable. Does not rash like my old Ubuntu install.
>>
>>55442884
Xubuntu
>>
>>55442884
Manjaro nigger reporting in
>>
>>55443149
When I tried to install Manjaro it kernel panicked 5 times while booting into the live cd. Fuck Manjaro
>>
Xubuntu or Gallium for a Chromebook?
>>
>>55442991
*crash, fucking brain fart
>>
I just built my first computer, and while I am waiting for the Monitors and Linux-compatible wifi adapter I've been trying to decide what distro to install.

I have Fedora 24 Cinnamon, Ubuntu MATE, and Linux Mint all here already burnt onto discs.
I'm so damn indecisive because they all seem as capable as the other.
>>
Arch, because muh autism.
>>
>>55442884
Ubuntu is my second favorite distro.
All the other distros are tied for first.
>>
File: 1458015437174.jpg (17 KB, 400x338) Image search: [Google]
1458015437174.jpg
17 KB, 400x338
>>55442884
I’d just like to interject for a moment. What you’re refering to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.
>>
>>55443149
Same here, can't find any desktop distro that beats the combo of AUR+pacman+multikernel+openrc+easy access to older packages
>>55443230
Works on my machine™
Void on the other hand farts on half my computers, not sure if it's because of runit or not
>>
>>55443230
>Can't install Manjaro
back to the depths from which you came foul /v/ermon
>>>/v/
>>
>>55442884
>>55442963
Same here. Was very excited for 24.

What am I missing by not using others? Just steam, AFAIK
>>
arch is good =)
>>
Can someone give me a brief comparison of Fedora and Redhat, citing the main differences?
>>
>>55443739
Fedora is basically testing for RHEL.
>>
>>55443785
Thanks. The reason I ask is that I pirated some LFCS training videos for CentOS system administration, in order to become more familiar with Linux before making it my main operating system.

Since Fedora is basically the same thing, after I complete the course, the logical choice for my desktop OS would be Fedora, right?
>>
File: Gentoo-logo.png (29 KB, 512x512) Image search: [Google]
Gentoo-logo.png
29 KB, 512x512
Gentoo because of Portage. RPM based distributions are really popular but I don't really care for them myself.
>>
Fedora 24 reporting in
>>
>>55443860
Seems like a good choice.
Honestly, the only thing that really sets distros apart is the package manager and some config of certain software.

If you're quite familiar with one distro, using others won't really be a problem anymore.

That said, fedora (especially workstation) is a good beginner distro since its not as noob-ridden as Ubuntu and not as complicated to set up and customize as for example arch or gentoo.
>>
*tips OS 23
>>
>>55442884
Arch linux
>>
>>55445415
>That said, fedora (especially workstation) is a good beginner distro since its not as noob-ridden as Ubuntu

It's literally the same shit and mostly used by newfriends who try too hard to fit in by not using "n00buntu". It's also less stable than Arch.
>>
Fedora, with ratpoison of course.
>>
>>55443696
The aur.
>>
File: 105678-2.png (69 KB, 343x314) Image search: [Google]
105678-2.png
69 KB, 343x314
Mint, baby.
>>
>>55443785
You say that like it's a derogatory thing.
>>
Does any of you have bedrock as one of your main OSs? I like the concept, but I don't have any idea how well executed it is. Do you mess around to much with it?
>>
File: stable.png (59 KB, 775x1024) Image search: [Google]
stable.png
59 KB, 775x1024
it just werks
>>
So far arch is the best distro i've tried, I like the build-your-system concept without having to compile everything. One thing I miss from fedora is its easy install but fedora wasn't enough modular for me, I onced tried to remove pulseaudio and gnome went with it
>>
>>55447035
Yeah, if I try to remove vi sudo goes with it
>>
File: sudo.png (82 KB, 870x304) Image search: [Google]
sudo.png
82 KB, 870x304
>>55447464
forgot pic
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.