[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I found this: http://www.popularmechanics.com/tec hnology/g
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1
File: gawd dammit sony.jpg (130 KB, 1200x1182) Image search: [Google]
gawd dammit sony.jpg
130 KB, 1200x1182
I found this: http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/gadgets/how-to/a3333/4263321/
Is it possible to turn my PS3 into a PC or it will be turned in trash ?
>>
>>55416134
NO, that was for the older models. They removed the ability to do that with updates.
>>
>>55416353
This

Also performance was shit, even back then when PS3 hardware was considered top tier.
>>
>>55416438
Because Sony severely limited access to the hardware, including walling off the GPU entirely. I believe some progress was made in terms of accessing the RSX, but ultimately it's all just pointless. There's zero compelling reason to use a PS3 to run Linux.
>>
>>55416353
This.
>>
>>55416438
Performance was pretty great for parallel processing when it was new, the PS3's processor is a 6 core PPC. People eventually figured out how to break out of the hypervisor too.
There was a period when it was cheaper to buy a few PS3s instead of an actual server. That contributed to the removal of otherOS since they sold at a loss and the people buying PS3s in bulk never bought games.
>>
>>55416353
>>55416438
>>55416480
thanks guys, I will turn my PS3 into home decoration then :)
>>
>>55416574
this
>>
>>55416134
>or it will be turned in trash ?
It IS already underpowered trash, just like the PS4
>>
>>55416134
First "succesfull attempt of running pirated games on PS3 was by installing linux on it, then running a windows xp VM and playing games trough that.
Good times
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.