[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
4 gigs of ram is still all you need Prove me wrong
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: rod of spanking.jpg (87 KB, 480x680) Image search: [Google]
rod of spanking.jpg
87 KB, 480x680
4 gigs of ram is still all you need

Prove me wrong
>>
baitimage.pdf
>>
>>55415728
All I do is shitpost and play the original star wars battlefront. Ubuntu 16.04 and Windows 8.1 both work fine for these things on 4GB of RAM.
>>
>>55415728
You could all your things with twice less memory.
>>
I can't have 20+ tabs in Firefox and have Android Studio open at the same time on 4 gigs of RAM. I tried. I really tried. It kept swapping.
>>
>>55415728

With Plannetary Annilation i need @ least 12 gb of wam.
>>
https://www.downloadmorewam.com
>>
>>55416027
No ssd detected
>>
>>55416124

I didn't have an SSD on that machine, but I do on my current laptop, which also has 8 GB RAM. But whether or not you have an SSD, you should not be swapping.
>>
>>55416143
Point is ssd are now so fast you could probably remove an entire dimm and not notice the difference, especially true if you're running a pcie ssd
>>
>>55416176

The point of an SSD is to be able to start up applications fast and perform disk I/O fast, not to replace RAM. If an SSD is regularly being used as swap storage, it could possibly wear down on its read/write cycles.
>>
>>55416319
Yeah sure but consider that spinning rust drives are the default swap storage for years while ram was in short supply and very expensive. Modern ssd are very reliable anyway, unless you're running a server you're nor going to have to worry about that for years
>>
>>55416406

Yes, but I digress... why not simply have as much RAM as you will need, rather than using your SSD for swap space? RAM is cheap. Some people even have 16 GB on a regular consumer PC, even though they have no need for it. Just because RAM used to be in short supply doesn't mean you should use less of it now.
>>
I work with audio daily, and I often fill 12GB of RAM. 4GB would be clearly not enough for me.
>>
File: 1347839511041.jpg (19 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1347839511041.jpg
19 KB, 400x400
>>55415728
If you have anything more than just a couple tabs of modern websites open on your computer, you're going to get some swapping going on, no matter what OS you're using.

I want the web3.0 meme to end.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.