[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How feasible, or perhaps present, is the idea of controlling
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 5
File: kayak.png (323 KB, 600x564) Image search: [Google]
kayak.png
323 KB, 600x564
How feasible, or perhaps present, is the idea of controlling a device physically if it's connected to a web?

For instance, could a mobile phone company build cellphones and make some of them break on command, or call a single number all at once? Could a car company drive your car for you? This is an idea that I often see in science fiction. Could this be used as a weapon, like selling something for a great price at a given country in need of it until it is dependent on it somehow. Could an antivirus service blow the computer of a hacker from afar? Or some government to not only map where a computer is, but to control it and use its memory for a bigger plan?
>>
>there's no actual occurence of the word kayak in that grid
>>
File: KAYAK.png (210 KB, 600x564) Image search: [Google]
KAYAK.png
210 KB, 600x564
>>
File: win.png (210 KB, 600x564) Image search: [Google]
win.png
210 KB, 600x564
>>
File: Image 001.png (171 KB, 673x637) Image search: [Google]
Image 001.png
171 KB, 673x637
>>
>>55413623
>How feasible, or perhaps present, is the idea of controlling a device physically if it's connected to a web?
Yes
>For instance, could a mobile phone company build cellphones and make some of them break on command, or call a single number all at once?
Yes
>Could a car company drive your car for you?
Tesla
>This is an idea that I often see in science fiction. Could this be used as a weapon, like selling something for a great price at a given country in need of it until it is dependent on it somehow. Could an antivirus service blow the computer of a hacker from afar?
No unless all computers are rigged with explosives.
>Or some government to not only map where a computer is, but to control it and use its memory for a bigger plan?
Yes, it's called a botnet.
>>
>>55413724

>dumbasses that talk without knowing
>>
File: Capture.png (692 KB, 1458x1423) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
692 KB, 1458x1423
>>
>>55414222
Blow in the sense of an electric short circuit that would fry a computer in just the right places.
>>
>>55414564
In that sense it could but if Anti-Virus can do that to a hacker, why can't the hacker do that to his victim to erase evidence of his presence?
>>
>>55414596
I guess it could. I'm just thinking in terms of who is in charge of the thing. Who made the system in the way that one can blow the computer of the other, and the hacker as a person that may or may not break the system and use it as well.
>>
>>55414596
>>55414564
the real problem is the hard drive, even if you fry the cpu and the motherboard traces will be left in the hard drive ,you cant fry metal disks and if you want to nuke it with zeros the hacker or victim would notice quite fast and just shut off the power source because of the noise of the disk and the time it would take
>>
>>55414763
>Some Year in the Future
>Still using a HDD
>>
>>55414275
I don't see it
>>
>>55414793
a 1tb hdd is enough for me and i cant be bothered to waste money on an upgrade i don't need
>>
>>55415021
It's the one upgrade that will have the biggest difference from before.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.