[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
DE Roundup
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 4
File: Jerry-Seinfeld.jpg (110 KB, 1252x1252) Image search: [Google]
Jerry-Seinfeld.jpg
110 KB, 1252x1252
Unity:
>"I've considered other options, I swear!"
KDE:
>"It's not an unsuably buggy piece of shit this time, I swear!"
GNOME:
>"It's optimized for productivity, I swear!"
MATE:
>"It's better than XFCE, I swear!"
XFCE:
>"It's better than MATE, I swear!"
i3:
>"When mom tells to to take out the trash, I swear!"
>>
OP:
>"I will shitpost again, I swear!"
>>
>i3
>DE

no, it's a WM. it is also shit.

spectrwm master race reporting
>>
>>55402396
Basically:
>Unity
Unusable garbage designed in a hipster coffee shop
>KDE
Jumped the shark with KDE 4, but recovered somewhat
>Gnome
Good before 3, then same shit with Unity\
>MATE
Acceptable
>XFCE
Acceptable
>>
>tfw you realize gnome 3 set back desktop linux at least 5 years
>>
Unity looks good and works without issues.
>>
File: 1467503513634.jpg (158 KB, 720x480) Image search: [Google]
1467503513634.jpg
158 KB, 720x480
>>55403851
>tfw it used to be good too
>>
>Unity
Works

>KDE
Buggy

>GNOME
Works

>MATE
Works

>XFCE
Deprecated

You can customize all of them to your liking so "muh looks" is a moot point.
>>
Unity
>If you are not interested in vain definitions of being cool. It works, looks pretty. Stable

KDE
>I enjoy staying in the well-structured german town of KDE.

Gnome
>My home. When I try something else, I miss it. Perfect for me.

Mate
>A revided zombie who used to be called Gnome 2. This is great if you are autistic and hate change.

Xfce
>I feel like I'm lost in a stagnate town whenever I use this. Good enough.. Snappy.

Enlightenment
>What is this? Everything acts so strange, where have I arrived? It's really pretty, I must say.
>>
File: 7vpLYVz.jpg (254 KB, 1440x1238) Image search: [Google]
7vpLYVz.jpg
254 KB, 1440x1238
JWM>all
>>
>>55404359

Puppy user?
>>
>>55402396
What about cinnamon?
>>
>>55404639

nice enough...
>>
>>55403971
>>Unity
>Works
For limited definitions of "works".
It "works" as in "it does what it was designed to do".
It doesn't "work" as in actually be a productive DE.
>>
>>55403971
>>XFCE
>Deprecated
top kek
>>
Why are you guys betatesting plasma 5? Kde 4 is stable and just works.
>>
>>55403851
>tfw home sweet GNOME
>>
I just use Xfce. Easy, fairly lightweight, can be easily customized to pretty much have the same layout as the other DE's.

If not that, then I like Cinnamon.
>>
Switched from XFCE to Mate recently, both are pretty comfy, will probably continue to use XFCE on potato tier hardware though
>>
>>55404778
>memes
>>
KDE master race
>>
>Runs autistic OS
>Tries to normie it up by using DE with it
Just why? Are you autists in denial?
>>
File: why.webm (2 MB, 1020x765) Image search: [Google]
why.webm
2 MB, 1020x765
>>55405034
>>
>>55406078
I can see why that's annoying, and it's something that should be fixed, but it's a minor annoyance at best
>>
>LXDE
>>
>>55403230
You are wrong. Your Computer is figuratively your desk. You organize your files and tools in it.
If you open a file, it lies on your Desktop, so you can read and edit it. i3 provides the environment of this desktop. So i3 is a DE. It's minimal but still a DE.
>>
>>55406132
are you fucking joking

that's the kind of bug that I would expect to see in a prototype desktop from the 80s
>>
Cinnamon:
>Sips tea and carefree
>>
>>55408602
Nothing crashed, and how often do you need to keep resizing a window? You're getting annoyed over the equivalent of having to add your own salt (something you seemingly have an endless supply of) to your fries.
>>
>>55408626
>add your own salt (something you seemingly have an endless supply of) to your fries.
I don't even know what that means.

Linux DEs are full of shit like this. Little random flaws that don't get fixed because they don't do enough testing with a large range of people who have different behaviors. The least broken ones are Gnome and Unity, because they actually do get tested.
>>
>>55408679
>I don't even know what that means.
Being this new
>>
>>55403779
so mate (gnome2) is acceptable but gnome before 3 (gnome2) is good?
>>55403851
that is somewhat true. they had a functioning desktop enviroment and instead of upgrading its performance/rewriting bad parts they essentially tossed everything away , and screwed up people who liked gnome2 by forcing them to rewrite it too so that names wont collide.

In other words MATE could have few years of active development and bugfixes instead of rewriting packages to work with new names.
>>
>>55402396
Cinnamon is most comfy DE tobh
>>
>>55404831
KDE5 - only DE that can break by doing the same thing over and over until it breaks. Source: switching between vsync options on recent Kubuntu, or frequently changing the theme between bright/dark until it messes itself up.

Inb4
>Kubuntu is shit try the X distro
>X distro breaks - try the other X distro

And yes I'm aware that other stuff breaks in stupid places too (for example gnome/unity system settings daemon after a package update), but KDE is very prominent at it.
>>
>>55404738
whats unproductive about it, except for the messed up window switcher (that you can still use super+w instead of and have ungrouped miniatures of windows that you can switch on)
>>
>>55408679
if you thing Unity is not broken then i have some news for you:
-dash doesn't update the list after application install, needs reboot, this sometimes work and sometimes doesn't (since 15.04).
-basically all unity configuration tools are broken after a package upgrade and need reboot to work again (since forever)
-wacom tablet configuration is broken with different versions of kernel (tablet still works and is configurable from cli but in gui settings its not detected) (since ubuntu 14.04.1 for every point release, this also applies to gnome)
-since the new green bash prefix (15.10 +) , you have a random chance of ~./bashrc not copying on install, disabling autocompletion and requiring manual copying from default - its an annoyance
-since 14.04 default mouse acceleration on unity is plain retarded to everyone who first touches unity, disabling it needs a ,conf file in /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/
- my favorite: you cant enable menu icons in the global menu. ever. you need to either remove globalmenu - this breaks menus for several new gnome packages - or just deal with it.
Looking for an tool in inscape/libreoffice/gimp ? learn shortcuts or read it aloud or deal with it. Lets just install icons and disable them so they just sit there and do nothing.
>>
>>55402396
>>55403956
>>55408563
Shitposters

>>55404639
>>55408745
>>55408617
>written in JS and CSS
GTK is literally webdev: the framework
>>
>>55408563
That's all nice and dandy, but there's already an established terminology about WMs/DEs.
>>
How about Lumina DE?
anybody tried it?
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.