[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hi /g/! tl;dr: What is your opinion about Alienware laptops,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 7
File: alienm17xr3_9524_g1.jpg (85 KB, 775x500) Image search: [Google]
alienm17xr3_9524_g1.jpg
85 KB, 775x500
Hi /g/!

tl;dr: What is your opinion about Alienware laptops, do they really worth it?

So, I need to buy a laptop, building a desktop is not an option (I already have one), I need to move it, and I don't want a mac. I'm thinking about buying an Alienware, I want it for good quality gaming (WoW, FFXIV, etc) and for working with Adobe programs, mostly Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign, all at the same time. I have been lurking around and I'm not sure about it, it looks like there are other laptops with almost the same specs but the are a lot cheaper, so it is basically just paying more for having the brand Alienware or do they really have something special?
>>
>>55401360
>paying for the name?

Yes. Paying for the glaring LEDs all over. The stupid fucking logo. And the name. If you absolutely NEED a gaming laptop, get something from the Asus ROG line. Or order a custom Sager. If you're looking to drop dosh on Alienware trash, you have plenty of money for the Sager models.
>>
>>55401360

>alienware
>laptop

Those things are thicker than cheeseburgers and weigh as much as a heifer. I've had alienware "laptops" before and they are not ideal if you actually care about mobility and battery life. Oh and I hope you are a fan of 5000+ rpm fan speeds because those things will not shut off even if you are casually surfing the web. In short, I would not recommend an Alienware, but if you absolutely must, get it with the Nvidia mobile graphics card option. Trust me.
>>
>>55401537
Yes, I am worried about the weight too, I currently have a 17" and it is very heavy and a pain to mover after a while. The 15" inch Alienware has the same weight and has a smaller screen, so I was thinking in only buying the alienware if it has something so special that it worths the pain on my back, haha.
>>
>>55401405
I will look for them, thank you!
>>
>>55401360
You have a gaming desktop. Just get a used mac. the 13in non-retina is goat. the 2012 one is perfectly usable today. Windows laptops are always good except for one thing. the trackpad, the keyboard, the screen, the build quality. None are perfect.
>>
File: rzrblade14-03.png (151 KB, 1500x1000) Image search: [Google]
rzrblade14-03.png
151 KB, 1500x1000
Should I buy a Razer Blade laptop or just get a macbook pro?
>>
>>55401906
mac.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (168 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
168 KB, 1280x720
>>55401360
Didn't read, but why doesn't dell slap their ayylmaoware division silly? Dell does produce a few good looking laptops, so they know what good looking is. How does someone over the age of 14 see this abomination and go "that looks sikk as fukk i gotta have this"?
Looks like one of those decorated japanese trucks, jesus shit.
Let alone the overpriced trash they sell, ayylienware needs to get it together on the design department.
>>
>>55401360
alienware is shit but if you do decide to get one make sure you call and haggle with them. you can generally get 10-20% off plus some free merch
>>
>>55401360
Alienware is ass. I had 2 friends buy their laptops, and they both had major issues within a year. They are literally just a brand selling it's brandieness and a shiny case. Buy from someone else, read reviews on your specific model. Don't be so desperate to call yourself a ritchfag that you buy shitty hardware
>>
>>55401906
Getac
>>
>>55401360
>>>/wsr/
>>>/v/
>>
File: Capture.png (36 KB, 401x473) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
36 KB, 401x473
>>55401360
>buy a 2009 Alienware m15x r2
>buy an i7 920x and 2x 8gb RAM
>buy an Nvidia 980m, or essentially any MXM GPU
>replace optical disc drive with another HDD slot
>have great cooling so can OC the CPU and/or GPU
>runs basically as well as newer gaymen laptop for much less shekels

I'm using a Dell Precision M6600 upgraded to a quadro k4000m and Overclocked by around 60% on both memory and core personally, but the old m15x is a bretty solid laptop today if upgraded and dirt cheap.

Pic related, never even hits 70c at max load.
>>
>>55401360
They're unbeatable if you're looking for a Gaming laptop.

Best performance in the smallest package (Alienware 15), yet provides stupid long battery life when you're just dicking around on the laptop.

/g/ seems to hate it because there's a heavy Asus shilling prescence on /g/, and a small but vocal minority that shits on anything that costs more than $1500.

Remember Dell, the ones responsible for the award winning XPS 13, owns Alienware so you know you're buying quality. Do not get anything else.
>>
>>55404109
Most people shit on it because it's fucking hideous, all other considerations aside.
>>
>>55404179
The newests ones are a bit more conservative in design, but they can't just abandon the biggest moneymaker 15-20 age segment just like that. Older audiences would just get the Dell Precision equivalent if they needed top end CPU and Graphics with added security features for enterprise use.
>>
>>55401906
Should I shoot myself on the foot or on the knee?

Now here this rare advice:
Try not shooting yourself
>>
>>55401906
do you doing any video editing or design of any sort professionally? If no, do not get a mac.
>>
File: 1465096419585.gif (953 KB, 330x300) Image search: [Google]
1465096419585.gif
953 KB, 330x300
>>55401360
Do people actually buy these? I always assumed they were the meme computer.
>>
>>55404276
They are, and people do.
>>
>>55401360
>>>/v/
>>
>>55401360
No, they aren't worth it. They're completely overpriced and you're only paying for a brand. WoW requires only 2GB RAM so any shit laptop made in the last 5 years will play it. Just buy a laptop with an SSD, 128Gb should be enough. Also buy one with 8GB RAM since you're probably gonna need it. If you spend over $1000 on a laptop you've been cucked.
>>
>>55401360
Most if not all alienwares have problems.
Look up alienware hinge and see for yourself.
I myself bought one 5 years ago when I was in graduated school now I cringe every time I turn it on. Not much I can do since I bought it for 1200$ back then.
>>
Just get MSI GT80
You won't regret it.
>>
>>55401360

Never had one but their support forums are full of "the display is so shit backlight bleed everywhere what the fuck"
>>
>>55401906
I have a razer blade laptop anon. It feels great the first week, then starts shitting itself and overheating, along with the shit battery life, about 30 minutes if you're lucky. and this is like brand new. I also have a couple Mac pros, and they're just as shitty.
>>
>>55401405

>not wanting a gaudy laptop that screams how much money you're willing to blow on portable gaming
>>
>>55404099
that's very interesting... i'll keep that in mind when ill'have to buy a new laptop
>>
File: 1467418908792.jpg (35 KB, 460x345) Image search: [Google]
1467418908792.jpg
35 KB, 460x345
>>55401360
DON'T EVEN TOUCH IT ANON. I own one it's fine for the first month or so but then the performance FOR SOME REASON turns to absolute shit don't know why. The screen is shit, fans are way to fucking loud, it's heavy and so on. Look at clevo, msi, sager or even Asus, don't touch alienware with a 100 foot stick
>>
>>55404265
Pajeet, this is too low. Even for you
>>
I have a g752 and really like it. It's heavy, yeah, but not out of this world unless you're carrying a bunch of books or something at the same time.

When I got mine I heard the usual complaints about laptops:
>they're loud
This one is pretty much silent when playing overwatch at ultra. Maybe the fan will fire up once in a while, but it's still not loud and runs passive cooling 90% of the time.
>they overheatttt
Mine runs at 67-68* during most gaming. I know that's high compared to a well sorted desktop, but that's not bad and it's never thermalfucked itself or throtted down even after 2-3 hours of straight gameplay.
>gpu is shit
It's not as good as it could be, but for a 75hz 1080p screen the 980m works just fine. I can max most everything, only turn it down a bit so that I can prevent any potential frame drops (even if they don't happen they could in certain situations) during intense fights. I'd love 1080 or 1070 tier stuff but that'll come.
>my girl shoulders cant handle the weight!
That's the one real thing.
>>
File: 1354824937381.gif (496 KB, 142x142) Image search: [Google]
1354824937381.gif
496 KB, 142x142
>>55401360
>>55401537
>>55401405
>>55402149

My alienware laptop is the most durable laptop I've ever owned.

My alienware's survived Afghanistan twice, 1st time it spent a year working in a tent, I;ve abused the shit out of my laptop and it keeps on ticking.

The worst laptop I ever had was an Asus, it survived 1 tour in Iraq then died when I took it to Vegas.

TLDR if your constantly on the road and need a durable laptop buy alienware.
>>
>>55404099
>i7 920x
>runs basically as well as newer gaymen laptop
yeah no
>>
so what the verdict then? i need a laptop pretty much the same as op, but you all seem to have very different opinions on whats good. asus is good and bad and so is dell? im confused, what do i buy
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.