[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you guys even care about synthesizers? I'm in the planning
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1
File: Modular.jpg (416 KB, 842x800) Image search: [Google]
Modular.jpg
416 KB, 842x800
Do you guys even care about synthesizers? I'm in the planning stages of my first modular. Any modular nerds here?
>>
>do you guys even care about $1?
>any $2 nerds here?
>>
>>55387573
>$2 nerds are best nerds
>>
>>55387545
See, modulars are actual technology.. You need to understand voltage levels, signal paths, discreet circuits and how they interact with each other, and know how to deal with the fact that cables are not made idiot proof like PC cables are. Which of course means the consumerfag fuckheads on this board have no chance of comprehending it.

There's plenty of us VCOfags on /diy/, including a dude who is making a light pen/CRT based modular looper. Pop though some time OP, it's a blast.
>>
>>55387836
Will do. I've been thinking about diy modules because it's a lot cheaper, but I have zero soldering skills right now. I guess it's probably worth the effort to learn to solder, plus actually learning to read circuit diagrams and understanding how synths actually work.
>>
>>55387885
So you don't know how to solder and you don't know how to read circuit diagrams witch implies
>you have 0 EE experience

Face it dude you are no gonna do shit any time soon.
Get a 555 and some buttons. maybe get two then you inevitably burn your first one
>>
>>55387927
Thanks for the motivation bro. I wasn't actually going to do anything I just said I was, but now that some random faggot on the internet has challenged my ability to do so, I will 10000% percent do it for no other reason than to prove you wrong. From now on my life is devoted soldering a circuit for no purpose other than to prove a random internet poster how wrong they are. When I'm done my precise NASA quality soldering will be able to fuck your mother so hard she'll wish your neckbeard ass wasn't living in her basement so she wouldn't be some embarrassed of her screams of pleasure. Meanwhile you'll be lying on your dirty mattress wishing you had the soldering skills to be able to fuck your own mother. Go find a greasy cock to suck you fucking homosexual.
>>
>>55387885
As much of a cunt as >>55387927 is, he's right. A 555 based VCO is a snap to build and gets you thinking about how component values determine frequencies, duty cycles, and everything else that goes into it. Once you have that, then you can snatch up some OP-AMP's and build your first filter. Bam you now have two modules. Forget soldering skills for now, just grab some breadboard and a hand full of common value components (see "components" at http://blog.thelifeofkenneth.com/2011/06/so-you-want-to-build-electronics.html, pick and choose everything else but stick with the component recommendations, and read the whole thing, lots of good protips), that will be all you need to make some noise. Buy a shitbox soldering iron, pull a board out of something dead, and practice removing and replacing components so you don't fuck anything important up. As you look for and build circuits, schematic reading will become second nature as typing does to someone who is learning to computer.

Forget what >>55387927 says, you need nothing more than interest and motivation, which is clearly something this guy does not have if his bitterness is anything to go buy. Google will fill in everything else.

>>55388028
Kek. See you on /diy/.
>>
>>55387545
Unless you're pretty much creatively tapped out on normal synths, I fail to see the point in a large modular. Small ones are fine, but large ones end up becoming time sinks. Modulars really aren't for everyone anyways.

You'll waste an absurd amount of time trying to make something complex and just settling for something simple that you could have done on another synth with some cv tweaking.

Your patches will sound different when you power it up the next day.

You will struggle getting it to sync up with midi and other gear unless you invest extra into running everything off an external clock.

DIY modules can behave very erratically to the point of frustration/uselessness. Just poke around some gear forums before making your choice.

You have admitted to not having even a basic understanding of EE, which will only make it more frustrating when building and using DIY modules.

If you still really want to build a modular, look into simpler, smaller options first before making a huge investment or picking up a bunch of DIY modules. There are plenty of options for small builds that will let you figure out if using a modular is something you really want to invest your time and money into. Walk into the water slowly, instead of jumping off a pier.
>>
I have a small modular setup built with the cheapest modules that you can get. New and used and most of the uses stuff is worn out.
I like the kinda broken, out of tune sounds with a lot of phasing though. Gives it character.
Still cost me quite a lot though.

As for synths, I recently acquired a Minilogue. The cleanliness of the sound compared to my gritty modular setup makes for a nice contrast in my tracks.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.