[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Dell xps 13 with linux
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: maxresdefault.jpg (306 KB, 1920x1280) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
306 KB, 1920x1280
Hey. I am thinking of buying the latest dell xps 13 model with 3200x1800 resolution and touch display, skylake etc.

Will I have any trouble running linux on with, how will it look on such a high resolution screen and will the touch work?
>>
File: 1461922503281.jpg (377 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1461922503281.jpg
377 KB, 1280x720
>>55379148
Dell generally has great Linux support. Not sure about their newest models though. As for the resolution, there shouldn't be a problem. You might notice some Icons a little stretched I would assume, but nothing HD icons couldn't fix. Touchscreen, my C720p (chromebook) had working touchscreen drivers. Very accurate, unless i was in a fullscreen application that didn't take full advantage of my resolution, it would be un-calibrated, I never found a fix for that. I would assume you would have similar issues with the driver itself, and not the hardware.
>>
doesn't dell have that sputnik program?

comes with ubuntu as default. and since we all know by now that all distros have more similarities than differences, whatever snowflake distro you use will work well with it too.
>>
>>55379148
Have that exact laptop (XPS 13 9350) with Linux, and there ARE some issues thanks to BIOS funkyness. For example, the touchscreen will stop working after waking from sleep so prepare for that. Also, the trackpad is connected using an i2c and a PS2 interface, so you will want to disable the ps2 interface otherwise palm detection will not work correctly.
>>
I have a thinkpad with 6500U and run solely linux on it.

I wish I had bought earlier model, memelake has quirks even though it's a year old arch.
>>
>>55379406
This. Developer Edition comes with ubuntu presintalled. Just go for that.

>>55379148
Also I have one myself, windows 10 version but I booted Ubuntu on it from live USB and everything seemed to have worked. Unity scaling was great and I couldnt help myself but masturbate over how amazing the fonts were.
>>
>>55379148
I have the Broadwell version of the laptop you want. All I can say is that HiDPI is going to be a bitch unless you use one of the 4 (going to be 5 soon) DEs that support it. With that, unless you are using Fedora, HiDPI scaling on gtk2 programs will make you annoyed, and no matter what, qt4 AND some qt5 programs will make you cry. It's better than Windows in the sense that all programs are readable and usable, but they will not be scaled (or in the sense of those qt5 programs, they will be scaled too much unless you have KDE). You will want to reinstall the OS (It comes with Ubuntu 14.04 if you go the developer edition route)

tldr: Install Fedora on it and you should be fine.
>>
>>55379148
XPS 13 3k owner here.
3k screen is a bitch, so go for fHD screen, trust me
>>
If you get the normal version, you'll have trouble with WiFi out of the box, but if you get the developer edition, you'll have zero issues:
http://www.dell.com/us/business/p/xps-13-9350-laptop-ubuntu/pd
>>
>>55379148
I have the FHD version and it's working flawlessly apart from USB Type-C which should get better support with newer kernel releases.
>>
>>55380363
No you won't, that has been fixed since like kernel 4.4. Maybe with Ubuntu because of an isolated issue.
>>
>>55380363
>>55380785 (You)
Although definitely get the developer edition if you can, not saying otherwise.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.