[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
for those of you who use the official *tips OS* OS, do you build
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
File: tips OS.jpg (15 KB, 620x384) Image search: [Google]
tips OS.jpg
15 KB, 620x384
for those of you who use the official *tips OS* OS, do you build all of your apps from source? I'm running fedora 23 and have the rpm fusion repos enabled, but it seems like a lot of apps are missing in the repos.

What do you autists do? I'm comfing from ubuntu where everything is pretty much already there.
>>
>>55378104
fedora is literally shit
>>
>>55378104
make
make install
>>
>>55378125
I'm figuring that out. I just liked that they push kernel updates regularly. I guess I got memed on.
>>
>>55378125
yes linus mint is better xd
>>
>>55378104
I have not required getting anything outside of official repo (no fusion) with the exception of opencl drivers. What apps are you trying to get?
>>
>>55378104
Most of the apps I use are available from official repositories. What do you need that isn't available?
>>
>>55378223
I can't think of anything off the top of my head, but I tried to get chromium browser and it wasn't on there, and it seems like anytime I want something else it isnt there.
>>
>>55378223
Open source amd drivers for starters

>>55378235
There is a repository you can add for chromium
>>
>>55378235

http://rpmfusion.org/Wishlist
Request: Chromium
Summary: Open source upstream of Google's Chrome web browser
URL: http://www.chromium.org/Home
Why not in RPM Fusion: Chromium violates Fedora's policies of handling libraries and various other issues, opposed to the belief of some that it's due to legal reasons. A full explanation can be found here: http://ostatic.com/blog/making-projects-easier-to-package-why-chromium-isnt-in-fedora. Since Chromium violates policies that RPM Fusion also has, this cannot be included in RPM Fusion.
Notes: A person from the Fedora Project is packaging Chromium in his free time, see the wiki for more details: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Chromium
>>
>>55378257
>There is a repository you can add for chromium
Just added it thanks. But its still kinda obnoxious to have to do this.

>>55378295
Interesting. Seems like autism fits to me.
>>
>>55378348
It takes a few days to set up but that's just linux. You have to do some setting up for every distribution. Once set up fedora is definitely one of the best.
>>
File: 1467482054066.jpg (16 KB, 620x384) Image search: [Google]
1467482054066.jpg
16 KB, 620x384
>>55378104
>>
Have you tried looking at COPR?
>>
>>55378686
bookmarked
>>
don't use more than a few applications, so never see which ones aren't available.

what are you missing exactly?
>>
You should never build directly from source on Fedora, if anything, take that source and package your own RPM to install.
>>
>>55378104
The thing with Fedora is that it's the desktop adaptation of RHEL, which is strict about only supported free software. So as much as Fedora tries to be as convenient and polyvalent as Debian-based distros, you will have to add repos for every piece of software that is not from the free software cult circle.

Whereas RHEL supposedly has perks for usage in servers and office workstations, I don't know of any significant difference between the usability of Fedora and Ubuntu as desktop operating systems, other than the fact that Fedora's support for non-free software is all done through third parties. So I'm not sure there is a point in using Fedora unless you really want to stick to free software.

Fedora is very bleeding edge and supports a LOT of free software, so there's that.
>>
>>55382173
Shameless self reply

I think it's kind of ironic how there are people who build repos of non-free software for a free-software based distribution when there's just distributions that are not free software based for that very purpose.

I mean... what's so great about Fedora that made building and sustaining RPMFusion and Nux Desktop worth it?
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.