[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
FAX DIALING 911 BY ITSELF
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1
File: fax.jpg (103 KB, 425x282) Image search: [Google]
fax.jpg
103 KB, 425x282
sup /g/

so the fax in my office recently dialed 911 by itself twice. the cops showed up and almost kicked down the door.

has anybody else had this happen to them? what the fuck could be causing this?
>>
Your shitty fax got haxxed. Maybe you need to upgrade to OpenBSD.
>>
But who was fax?
>>
Search for your fax, every single one is different.

However it is most-likely a prank by someone who has access to it.
>>
>>55361492
how could they do this from outside the office? we have a very small staff, all of which are no-nonsense old person types.
>>
>>55361519
Via the Internet, obviously. Are you retarded?
>>
>>55361492

model is a canon mx472. looked it up but nothing says anything about it dialing 911 vy itself.

when I google this subject all I find is other people having this problem, and no clear answers. it's always "could somebody have tampered?" which is a valid question, but in our case it couldn't be anybody here.

is there any way to access a fax machine from outside an office? it has a dedicated phone line.
>>
>>55361555

dude it's not hooked up to the internet and isn't wireless or bluetooth.
>>
>>55361603
But it's hooked to your dumb office network. And the network is, indeed, exposed to the Internet. I hope they are not paying you for this, because you literally don't know what the fuck you are doing.
>>
>>55361632

dude it isn't hooked up to any network. it has a dedicated fax line.

btw im not paid for this, im just curious.
>>
>>55361655
Look, it's impossible to access the fax via a phone line. I am no oracle, but I will venture a guess and say that either your fax shares an IP phone line or the phone line ends up in a modem together with the rest of your network. It's not rocket science, just trace the line and you will see what the problem is. Faxes are usually notoriously resilient against hacking, as long as you connect them _DIRECTLY_ to a separate phone line.
>>
I guaran-fucking-tee that it's some cunt in the office who thinks it's a lot of fun.
>>
>>55361779
thanks man, this is helpful. the fax does indeed attach to the modem.

how do i fix this or stop it from happening? change wifi password?
>>
>>55362198
No, you just have to configure your network. Install gentoo.
>>
>>55361461
lol wtf bro

what model of fax machine
>>
>>55361461
>what the fuck could be causing this?
your new summer intern.
>>
>>55362275
>model is a canon mx472
>>
It's called greyware you dumb motherfuckers.
>>
>>55361461

We had a similar problem, a legacy PBX system (also not internet-facing) was dialing out to 911 occasionally. We determined that there's actually a call-forwarding function built into it, which we didn't have anywhere in the menu tree, but apparently there's some aging phreak out there war-dialing modems armed with undisclosed 30 year old phone system vulnerabilities.

tl;dr call your fax machine vendor or get a new one
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.