[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Linux Wine and Malware
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
File: chloe2.jpg (67 KB, 634x859) Image search: [Google]
chloe2.jpg
67 KB, 634x859
so if I pirate a game and install it on a separate drive and run it with wine is it possible to get a bad virus with it?
>>
>>55355330

Yes.
>>
>>55355338
there has to be some way I can safely pirate without getting BTFO
>>
>>55355364
Virtual Machine with pci-e passthrough and no internet. Maybe.
>>
>>55355330
what a beautiful body
>>
Yes, but wine are easy to isolate using winetricks.
Simply create new wine home, unmap your root / drive (usually mapped to Z:\\).
Run the program, if no good then delete your wine folder.
>>
File: uduk0ek.gif (733 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
uduk0ek.gif
733 KB, 500x281
>>55355330
What happened to her? She used to be perfect!
>>
>>55355784
>unmap your root / drive (usually mapped to Z:\\)
This. It's important.
>>
>>55355784
That would stop common windows malware, but be aware that you can still call linux syscalls from wine. Remember: wine is not an emulator.
>>
>>55355330
>this is considered fit in clapistan
>>
>>55355330
Ask yourself this. Who puts a virus for Linux in a windows application?
>>
>>55355330
Puberty ruins precious little girls.
>>
Stop ruin my waifu!
>>
>>55355414
Probably but remember that when someone is providing you the way to bypass a protection on a program that was not meant to be used for free, most of the time you must trust blindly on the provider of that crack.

>>55355784
>>55355857
It's possible too, however remember that wine is not a sandbox and it's not meant to be one, it's a compatibility layer. It may be possible if you run wine in a container similar to the one snap packages use, but otherwise remember that a computer cannot distinguish between executing desirable code and undesirable code. The best it can be done is limiting permissions to access resources unless the user allows it explicitly, use a list of known undesirable programs and use heuristics.
>>
>>55355330
Chloe is gonna be a big fatty when she's older.
>>
>>55355330
The Apple MacBook Pro with Retina Display doesn't have this problem.
>>
>>55355330
Yes, WINE compatibility with viruses are much greater than games.
>>
>>55357559
>>55358129
Someone at Subway should start some sort of foundation to keep girls from getting fat in their teen years.
>>
>>55355555
>>
>>55355330
clamav found a active x homepage resetter in my IE tmp internet files one time (years ago).
It didn't seem to me like it was doing anything though.
>Virus wouldn't work if it couldn't find the expected path to other files probably.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.