[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
When converting from WAV to FLAC, how can I know that the conversion
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 5
File: strange.jpg (105 KB, 500x514) Image search: [Google]
strange.jpg
105 KB, 500x514
When converting from WAV to FLAC, how can I know that the conversion is actually lossless?
>>
>>55339744
Convert from FLAC back to WAV, export the raw PCM from both the transcoded WAV and the original WAV, diff the raw data
>>
>>55339753
How do I do that? Can something like audacity do it?
>>
Compression levels
libFLAC uses a compression level parameter that varies from 0 (fastest) to 8 (smallest). The compressed files are always perfect, lossless representations of the original data. Although the compression process involves a tradeoff between speed and size, the decoding process is always quite fast and not very dependent on the level of compression.
>>
>>55339817
FLAC is specifically designed for efficient packing of audio data, unlike general-purpose lossless algorithms such as DEFLATE, which is used in ZIP and gzip. While ZIP may reduce the size of a CD-quality audio file by 10–20%, FLAC is able to reduce the size of audio data by 40–50% by taking advantage of the characteristics of audio.
>>
>>55339768
ffmpeg -i $1 tmp.flac
ffmpeg -i $1 -f s16le -acodec pcm_s16le original.pcm
ffmpeg -i tmp.flac -f s16le -acodec pcm_s16le transcoded.pcm
md5sum original.pcm
md5sum transcoded.pcm

$1 is your input file.
>>
>>55339744
If you can't tell the difference why does it matter?
>>
Use your ears.
>>
>>55340621
>if (you) can't tell.
Speak for yourself, bro.
Do you even have cable elevators?
>>
>>55340776
>how can I know
Clearly OP can't tell
>>
>>55339744
good album
>>
>>55339744
>how can I know that the conversion is actually lossless
if you cannot hear any loss, then whether there is any or not, it does not matter
>>
>>55341321
rip cd to mp3 and flac.
play mp3 and flac on phone/earbuds.
can't tell difference
burn cd from flac and cd from mp3
play both on a good stereo.
noticeable difference.
hook phone to good stereo tape input with 3.5mm to rca adapter.
compare cd to phone playing mp3.
absolute haram.
>>
You can check the audio hash.
>>
File: 1322615842122.jpg (26 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
1322615842122.jpg
26 KB, 600x600
>>55339744
>I don't want my software to lower the quality of my audio for my listening enjoyment
>I need a software to tell me if the audio lost quality
>>
>>55340621
For when new lossy formats come out and you transcode your music.
>>
File: a.png (28 KB, 578x182) Image search: [Google]
a.png
28 KB, 578x182
check the hashes of the decompressed, raw data, for example;
for i in a.*; do echo $i\:;ffmpeg -i "$i" -c:a pcm_s16le - 2>/dev/null | sha1sum; done
>>
>>55339744
It's a lossless format. How could the conversion possibly not be lossless?
>>
File: ffmpeg-test.png (33 KB, 1077x393) Image search: [Google]
ffmpeg-test.png
33 KB, 1077x393
Well, interestingly enough, I actually tried it out and it seems that it doesn't produce identical output.
Maybe it's because ffmpeg is old?
>>
File: diff.png (144 KB, 1865x676) Image search: [Google]
diff.png
144 KB, 1865x676
>>55344801
Image diff on the right. It seems that the differences have some sort of pattern.
Anyway, what this means for you, OP, is that if you're using ffmpeg N-50911-g9efcfbe on Windows, you might not have actual lossless output.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.