[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Intel Non-K CPU overclock thread Yeah, this is old news but
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2
Intel Non-K CPU overclock thread

Yeah, this is old news but I missed all the hype and have a question myself

if anyone is curious about doing this then remember you lose significant avx performance, the ability to read cpu temps normally and apparently L1 cache speeds suffer by 8x (can someone verify?)

I'm currently running a non k oc setup, if you're curious, ask away

Running an i5 6400 @ 4.5Ghz and 1.27V 24/7 with very few issues

24/7 because it only boots about 1/4 of the time haha But when its up and running i haven't had a single crash or problem. The cpu temp readout issue seems to be solved by the gigabyte "system information viewer" utility which shows only around 50c under a prime 95 stress test and cooled by a loud ass liquid cooler.

One thing i've heard is that when a non k cpu is oc'd then the L1 cache speeds get cut by 8x. Just wondering if anyone can confirm this. What kind of impact would this have on gaming, everyday workloads or any other tasks?

I'm relatively new to all this so go easy on me /g/
btw i already posted in the sqg thread and didn't find any additional info
>>
>>55338126
Intel have said that this is illegal. Stop breaking the law and update your motherboard's UEFI.
>>
AVX is very important, especially with Chrome
>>
>>55338126
>very few issues
>it boots 25% of the time
>>
>>55338239
He never specified the severity of the issues, just the amount. I would say 1 issue encountered total would qualify as very few. I'm more surprised the motherboard isn't kicking back the oc entirely and forcing him to reconfigure. But I typically keep watchdog enabled, and I suppose that would be the difference.
>>
I raised the bclk from 100 to 105.3 to get 4ghz on my e3 1231v3 when boosting
>>
>>55338191
any prosecutions yet?
>>55338227
Any links to where I can find more info, maybe even a a description of AVX in layman's terms?
>>55338239
I only turn it off if i know i'm going to be gone for at least 48 hours. I can usually get it running in 5 minutes or less. Sometimes I have to take out a stick or two of ram which involves uninstalling the radiator. It only takes me about 15 minutes all said and done which isn't too bad considering how infrequently it needs to be booted again. Strangely this only happens after a total shutdown. It reboots perfectly fine. Honestly though I haven't seen anyone else report this so it may be an issue with my ram/motherboard.
>>55338285
Not entirely sure about "watchdog" but it has booted me into a separate bios back when i was originally seeing how far I could push it. Also if it boot loops a couple times it will try to make me "restart with optimized defaults" or enter the bios. I fix this by just turning off the psu for a few seconds while holding the power button. It will usually boot with the oc intact after a few tries. And as I said above, I've never had an issue with restarts. Hopefully that's somewhat relevant to "watchdog" haha I don't remember ever turning it off
>>55338327
Awesome, that's Haswell though right? Don't they have the b-clock tied to the PCH or something like that? Did you try to go higher? If so, what happened?
>>
File: Oc6400 stable 4.5g.png (227 KB, 2878x1050) Image search: [Google]
Oc6400 stable 4.5g.png
227 KB, 2878x1050
shameless self bump. nobody knows about the cache speeds issue?
>>
>>55338505
Xeonfag here . Never gone higher . Calculated it at 105 .3 for 4ghz , punched it in and it's been running for over a year now no issues
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.