[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What OS would you recommend for a CS student? I´m thinking
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3
File: IBM_Thinkpad_600E.jpg (300 KB, 1557x1619) Image search: [Google]
IBM_Thinkpad_600E.jpg
300 KB, 1557x1619
What OS would you recommend for a CS student?

I´m thinking on a Windows/ dualboot, but I´m not sure what to put in the second place. Debian? Xubuntu? Arch?

I´ll be using a Thinkpad T420
>>
>>55336606

you'll be able to do everything on gnu/linux unless they expect you to dev c#/.net code (in which case it might be doable but visual studio is literally the only reason to dev on windows) but if you can't you probably shouldn't be in cs

but I really would recommend a dualboot on an ssd
>>
>>55336650
I regularly work with .NET/Mono on GNU+Linux and it's really not much of a problem.
Visual Studio Code / Atom / MonoDevelop are decent, Emacs works best for me.
>>
>>55336686
>>55336650
As long as you don't use WPF or some other windows only things you're golden.
>>
I've had no issues with Win 7, but due to proprietary software every time I try to switch to linux it just gets in the way. I'm majoring in CIS though so you might be able to avoid classes that need windows specific software.
>>
>>55336606
Xubuntu if you want something usable and comfy.
>>
>>55337406
This, Xubuntu is max comfy
>>
>>55336650
>>55336686
>>55337139
>>55337364
>>55337406
>>55339045
Windows is mostly because I´m pretty sure I´ll need Visual Basic, and because of a couple other programs I need for my job that don´t really mix with Linux. Or anything else other than Windows, for that matter.

I´ve got plenty of SSDs too, no worries there.

Xubuntu sounds pretty nice, but is there some specific reason to use it instead of something else?

What about battery consumption? I´ll be getting a better battery, but what system would help it live longer?
>>
Gentto
>>
>>55339854
Install gentoo
>>
File: 1464841923833.webm (3 MB, 1080x606) Image search: [Google]
1464841923833.webm
3 MB, 1080x606
>>55336606
isn't it obvious by now?
>>
File: 1466685438327.jpg (44 KB, 594x591) Image search: [Google]
1466685438327.jpg
44 KB, 594x591
>>55339854
Xubuntu is cleaner, smaller and overall better looking than Ubuntu (xfce>amazon-ridden-unity).
I've got it on my x220 and it works great, it uses very little RAM and works out great for battery consumption. However, I'd suggest installing 14.04. 16.04 is a bit young and has several issues.
>>
if you really are a CS student buy a macbook.
they all buy macbooks. (fuck 'em)
will get you girls and friends and thats what you need.

if you want to work in a linux computer job run debian/ubuntu/fedora/redhat and intern at a company that useses it. software will be determined by wherever you intern at.

if you want to learn how it all works: try installing arch, fail, try again, works, level up to gentoo, grow a beard, go back to debian.
>>
>>55340011
>macbook will get you girls and friends
is this how it really is in 'murrica?

european student here and I feel like you'd rather get laughed at for being an apple cuck here
>>
>>55340011
Already got friends and a nice girl, and I´m not blowing up a thousand € in overpriced bullshit.

>>55340155
Roughly the idea. iPads are already high on the "did you really pay for that?" scale.
>>
>>55336606
I ran Arch on mine but got tired of it breaking. I switched to Debian was what I switched to and it wasn't a mistake.
TrackPoint scrolling didn't work out of the box, but it was easy to fix.
>>
>>55336606
As a CS student, I'd say Windows/Ubuntu dualboot is fine.
>>
>>55336606
Learn M$ or Apple in and out, literally the most important two to know about
>b-but muh gentoo

Linux is useless as shit there are no jobs with that OS
>>
The T420 is more than powerful enough to run WIndows as the host OS and a Linux distro as a guest OS in real-time without a single issue (and 3D accelerated too).

>people running one OS at a time
>got Windows 7 Pro as a host and Linux Mint + OSX El Capitan as guests running 24/7 on a laptop
>I mean really

GET WITH THE NEW MILLENNIUM, MILLENNIALS
>>
Windows 10
>>
Qubes OS is the best if your computer supports hardware virtualization
>>
tfw could afford all these t410s/t420s on ebay if it weren't for shipping and import charges

all the euro listed ones are stupid expensive in comparison
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.