[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Rust
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2
File: rust-logo-512x512-blk.png (11 KB, 512x512) Image search: [Google]
rust-logo-512x512-blk.png
11 KB, 512x512
Is Rust just another meme/hipster language or does it actually have potential?
>>
File: 7281.png (73 KB, 2048x1024) Image search: [Google]
7281.png
73 KB, 2048x1024
Meme.
>>
It is good. Idk if it will ever replace C fully for a lot of reasons but it is a good language by itself
>>
>>55335989
>Rust
Just*
>>
>>55335989

I want to like rust but I fear it's going to be left behind because while go was finalising its design and getting the public on board to help write libraries rust was going through further language design iterations which obviously isn't productive

I really seriously doubt rust will ever end up like python2 vs python3 but I feel if they had got their shit together sooner they might have had a serious chance at competing with go rather than playing catchup

either way I love both new languages but rust offers some seriously nice features
>>
>>55336290
>Go vs Rust
I wish this meme just went away. Go is not even in the same category.
>>
>>55336889
>I wish this meme just went away.

me too bud but it's always going to be the way with languages (see: c#/java, ruby/python etc), more than two choices confuses people so they focus on the two major languages that emerge around the same time period

I only mention go because it's "the other" memory safe new language that was nearing final release around the same time as go, and as a result they're competing languages not for the same utility or the same programmers but for the public's contribution with libraries, apis, etc

so it's all fine and dandy saying they don't compete but people were hopping on golang 1.0 final and writing libraries while rust was still going through major language revision changes that was breaking backwards compatibility pushing back development of libraries and the like
>>
>>55335989
It has some genuinely unique features that, if you care about shit like that, would be hugely beneficial to your program.
However, those same features make it less enjoyable to program in.

Honestly if someone just made a version of C with ct templating (D like, not shitty C++), operator overloading, function overloading, etc.
That would be perfect
>>
Sick of hearing about this language

It has ONE feature (safety) where it's stronger than C, it's weaker everywhere else
- Runs slow
- Compiles slow
- No numbers in templates
- No implicit casts
- No polymorphism
- Interface system is worse than Go with all the same drawbacks
- None of the libraries work on Windows

Nobody will ever sell a game made in this language, nobody will ever use it at work
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.