[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Complete noob question: I want to start learning a programming
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
File: 5megs.png (564 KB, 720x810) Image search: [Google]
5megs.png
564 KB, 720x810
Complete noob question:

I want to start learning a programming language. I am between Python and Javascript. I know Javascript can be used to generate windows and buttons.

What other types of projects can each of these languages accomplish?
>>
Go for JavaScript, python is so unintuitave and plus if you are a beginner try html5.
>>
>>55329624
>Go for JavaScript, python is so unintuitave and plus if you are a beginner try html5.
Python can be used for many things such as programming rasberypis to do basically anything. Pyhton is also used a lot for math and science as well
>>
JavaScript is mainly used in websites, I wouldn't learn it without looking at full web frameworks like MVC or ruby.

Python's good simple language. Not great syntax but can do most things.

I'd start on c# then move to c++ then on to what ever you want so you have a good grounding
>>
>>55329624
>Unintuitive
>Shills demon language instead

Jesus anon, do you hate him?
>>
If you're serious about it, you should learn C so that you'll get a glimpse at how computers actually work. There's too much weirdness about JavaScript and Python for them to be really good starting points.
But, any complete language can solve any problem that any other complete language can solve. Some languages will give you a head start because other people may have already solved your problem in a way that your language can use, but that's about it. It's probably better to learn the fundamentals first though.
>>
>>55329528
Learn C and read this -> http://csapp.cs.cmu.edu/
>>
>>55329688
I mostly agree. C# is how I first learned to program, then I moved onto C++.

I'd definitely recommend the javascript though. Programs are now APIs on servers, and GUIs are now the browser. Javascript is how you will communicate and display your program's data.
>>
>>55329528

languages themselves can be used to do anything.

A language has a library which is used to generate 'windows and buttons' - this is called a gui library.

Python has tk, Java has swing and FX, C# has GTK, C++ has Qt and Javascript is a special one because it's run on top of the browser, so the browser itself generates the buttons.

If you're interested in learning a language spend a few years learning Python then move to JavaScript. JavaScript is extremely complex and hostile to beginners whereas Python is (along side Java and C#) the simplest language to learn.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.