[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>be me >looking to get into C++ >buy books written by
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1
File: ihatelife.jpg (44 KB, 399x452) Image search: [Google]
ihatelife.jpg
44 KB, 399x452
>be me
>looking to get into C++
>buy books written by local professor in my native language
>released 2010
>won't cover C++11, but that's ok, I can read up on that from elsewhere
>order
>today it arrives
>mfw I open the book and see <iostream.h>
>mfw the book is written as if the C++98 standard doesn't even exist

I'm fucking tired of these god damn """"professors"""" from the last generation refusing to keep up to date with programming languages and at the same time thinking it's acceptable to be teaching shit like it's still the 1980s. I don't even know if this is an issue elsewhere, but now I might as well burn this shit that I've bought and I'd get the same value out of it.

Where the hell do I get good books, /g/? Everywhere I look from local book shops, I can't get Bjarne Stroustrup's books for less than $100. I don't even know how the price can be that jacked up.
>>
I'm trying to self-learn javascript and every problem I research comes up with a million different solutions based on standards of varying antiquity
>>
If it ain't broke, don't fix it :^)
>>
>where

The internet. If you're more comfortable about them being physical just print them.
>>
>>55318276
https://g.sicp.me/books/
>>
>>55318376
Programming: Principles and Practice Using C++ (2nd Edition)
1300+ pages

The C++ Programming Language ( 4th Edition )
1300+ pages

C++ Primer
900+ pages

That's a lot of ink.
>>
>>55318276
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0321563840/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1467209750&sr=8-1&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=C%2B%2B

It will be maybe $80 with postage, you probably won't get a new physical copy for any less.
>>
>>55318425
for the cost of ink to print any one of those books you could purchase 3.5 color laser printers and then print all of those books in <10 minutes with a fraction of the toner included.
>>
>>55318763
bullshit. The cost of the paper alone would be higher.
>>
>>55318276
spic or pajeet?
>>
>>55318888
Neither

Eastern Europe
>>
>>55318837
>paper
>worth anything
from my local office store that overcharge for everything paper is worth $0.005956 per sheet, so it'll cost you $220 to print all those books total, even less if you get a discounted B&W laser.

i'm going to go out on a limb here and say even after buying string and wax to bind the pages you'll still come out better off than paying retail for those books :^)
>>
>>55318325
That just means you're learning about javascript, where quality control is unheard of and there is no such thing as a stable API.
>>
>>55318967
>using the smiley with a carat nose
>>
>>55319136
>not using it >:^|
>>
>>55318888
Nice quads
>>
>>55318276
Programming language theorists make the best programming books. You just need to skip all that talk about formal semantics, normal forms and such.
>>
>>55319858
That might be true, but they're still expensive as fuck
>>
http://bookzz.org/

Sad that I have to mention this on /g/ of all places.
>>
>>55320593

S U M M E R

F R I E N D S
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.