[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Alright laptop is dying. What is the best laptop that has good
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: linux.png (2 MB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
linux.png
2 MB, 1920x1200
Alright laptop is dying. What is the best laptop that has good linux compatibility and can handle photo editing well.
>>
>>55308769
Thinkpad W530
>>
>>55308769
Fucking anything.
>>
>>55308769
>>55308769
>linux
>photo editing
I hope you mean running PS in a VM, right?
>>
>>55308801
Mostly use light zone

>>55308790
so many laptops use hardware that isn't very compatible with linux and makes it a pain in the ass

>>55308788
my x240 is like 2 years old and dying, dont really trust thinkpads anymore.
>>
>>55308858
>
so many laptops use hardware that isn't very compatible with linux and makes it a pain in the ass

It's 2016, not 2002. Linux had support for Intel Skylake graphics before the CPU even came out. Any new laptop will run linux just fine. BSDs are a problem, though.
>>
been considering a dell xps 13 but slightly concerned about build quality/longevity issues and they're pretty expensive.
>>
>>55309469
This x240 (among other newer laptops) have had issues with their touchpad or keyboard on linux.
>>
>>55309478
I have an almost 3 yo Inspiron and never had a single problem with it. A XPS should be even better.
>>
>>55309534
I got a P50 just several weeks ago, only thing that doesn't work is the fingerprint sensor.
>>
>>55308769
Almost any of them.
On my laptop (Elitebook 8560W) only two things did not work out of the box: backlight control via Fn keys and tap-to-click on trackpoint.
First one solved easy by adding shit to the GRUB-file, second one seems I can't do anything about. Which sucks balls for me since I tend to use that a lot. It's not unuseable, it's just an annoyance.
Most laptops would work flawless though. Especially those without 'special' things like said trackpoint (which they call a TouchStyk, it's not a Thinkpad trackpoint)
>>
>>55313811
Oh, three things... fingerprint scanner as well. No drivers seem to exist for this particular model. And I don't have the skill or the time to write my own.
>>
>>55308769
xps 13 developer edition comes from factory with ubuntu suport
>>
>>55308769
keep in mind you need to run the latest kernels to fully support the "new" intel cpus and integrated graphics
>>
Dell with Ubuntu
>>
>>55311444
you shoot low huh
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.