[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Where do I start?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1
File: 1463726858283.jpg (49 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
1463726858283.jpg
49 KB, 600x450
Which programming language should I learn? I know basic python and how to work with cmd. /g/eniuses
>>
>>55294004
what does cmd have to do with anything? that's like saying you know terminal.

In the olden days this would be akin to saying you know how to use a computer.
>>
>>55294004
You're a stupid weaboo piece of shit so go ask the programming thread you failed abortion
>>
>>55294004
C/C++
>>
>>55294004
If you alrea
>>
>>55294058
Seconded. A solid understanding of C translates into a solid understanding of how computers work on a fundamental level.

Also knowing C let's you master many languages quickly, as C syntax has served the basis for innumerable languages.

To get started, jump on the terminal and use vi to program and gcc to edit. That's all the tools you need. After that cozy up with some Ritchie and you'll be on your way to mastering your computer.

Btw, C is a powerful language. But with great power comes great responsiblity. You may find yourself beating your head against a wall debugging C programs, but once you figure out all that can go wrong, you'll have the wisdom to be an excellent programmer. It will take time though.
>>
>>55294130
Did you mean 'in your area'?
>>
>>55294306
Can you give me any tips/tools on how to learn a programming language?
Not OP but at the moment I just browse articles and use codecademy on a regular basis.
I just started learning python, but I'm not sure if there isn't a better way of learning it besides using codecademy.
>>
>>55294004
APL

Don't let all these fucking 50K/yr cuckfaces deceive you with non-efficient languages
>>
If I wanted to make a tinfoil hat-friendly and customisable IM program, which language should I make it in?
>>
>>55294740
Some sort of chaos language like APL, FORTH, Iota, Coq, etc.
>>
>>55294684
This is what I did.
First I took this:
https://www.edx.org/course/how-code-systematic-program-design-part-ubcx-spd1x

This is otherwise known as HtDP (How To Design Programs book). It's a pretty good course, because it starts by teaching you functions and tests and nothing else until half way into it. You just do programming, not computer science. You use Racket, which is Scheme (Lisp).

After I was able to write my own cell apps in racket using this: http://www.lambdanative.org/

When I was done, I wanted to start to learn real computer science so I got this book: http://csapp.cs.cmu.edu/ this teaches you bits, floating point, assembly for x64, virtual memory, stacks, networking, ect ect. Full CS course. If you don't know C it covers some of it in review or just read K&R it's only a few hundred pages you can blow through in a weekend.

After that I bought The Unix Programming Environment to learn AWK/grep/sed (regex) and more C. I'm now a "Site Reliability Engineer" sysadmin for some shitty startup where all I do is parse gargantuan logs and network monitor all day long for a good enough salary while I finish doing other books. Speaking of SRE google has a good book about it here http://libgen.io/book/index.php?md5=4B144306A43B16CE0DB7A264E8C8F551
>>
>>55294740
A memory safe one, look up Subgraph OS that's exactly what they did (made a tinfoil friendly IM)
>>
>>55294781
Thanks anon. Which out of those would you say is the easiest to learn?

>>55294800
Awesome, I'll have to look into it.
>>
>>55294839
I personally am learning both APL and FORTH; APL has it's own character-set pretty much but it's highly efficient. Just look at this Java and APL comparison http://pastebin.com/2djVDiUq

I've heard talk Coq is relatively easier than the ones previously mentioned.
>>
OP if you've been learning codecademy for Python you are not ready to move on to another language.
Download the book "learning Python the hard way" and go through that. Once you have completed that complete some projects by yourself and once you think you have a good understanding of the language move on to something else.
>>
>>55295041
Thank you so much man.
>>
>>55294004
IDL
>>
>>55294004
>python
I think you are set for life. Good work.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.