[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
SBCs that respect your freedom
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: Raspberry_Pi_3_Model_B.png (144 KB, 300x197) Image search: [Google]
Raspberry_Pi_3_Model_B.png
144 KB, 300x197
I've been looking at SBCs that don't require proprietary blobs to boot and have noticed that it seems my choices are limited to either paying ~$50 for something with specs just barely better than the orignal Raspberry Pi B or paying $100+ for something with comparable specs to the higher end Orange Pi and Raspberry Pi 3. I've also noticed that the list of FSF approved SBCs seems to be rather out of date as there are newer ones that don't require blobs to boot that aren't listed. Are there any good options out there that are either cheaper than $50 with specs at least a good as the original RPi or cheaper than $100 with good specs relative to other SBCs?
>>
>>55291685
Beaglebone Black?
>>
>>55291700
Those are about $55 now days and only have 512 MB of RAM and a single core ARM processor clocked at 1 GHz. I was really hoping I could either go cheaper than that for comparable specs or get something with better specs that wasn't significantly more expensive. I know they're making a new BeagleBone X15 with better specs but it's supposed to cost $200+ and the specs aren't significantly better than the current higher end sub $50 SBCs that require proprietary blobs.
>>
Bump, found the BeagleBone Green that's just the Black without HDMI for $40.
>>
>>55291685
ODROID-C2.
>>
>>55291769
Sound like my pi zero
>>
File: Screenshot_33.png (321 KB, 363x380) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_33.png
321 KB, 363x380
>>55291685
Just use Windows 10 on a normal computer, whats the point of using these shit mobile computers anyways? I swear to fucking god every time I see some autist try and use these, or ask for help regarding the shit rasberry pi """""computer""""" It makes me step onebday closer to fucking killing myself. I MEAN FUCK, there's literally no valid reason any normal person, or even your normal /g/ autist should even consider buying one of these pieces of shit. All this post really shows is OP's ignorance of microcomputing, and what using a computer is for. I mean it just makes ms so mad to see people use a fucking ARM based computer, then expect the peice of shit to actually function, let alone think they can be used for developement based projects. Last is the fucking hipster shit fucks who make """"gaymer""" tier """"emulation"""" """"consoles"""" Thats not only a waste of a shit computer, but a waste time, energy, and recourses.

Literally fucking kill yourself
fucking autists
>>
>>55292668
>All this post really shows is OP's ignorance of microcomputing, and what using a computer is for.

and what exactly do you think it's for? rpi was designed, manufactured and sold for one purpose: cheap single board low power computing, it does that job perfectly
>>
>>55292707
>responding to pasta
tip: if you see someone write a really autistic wall of text it's probably just pasted from somewhere
>>
>>55292719
thanks for advise
>>
>>55292719

yeah I neglected to search for a line or two, my bad
>>
>>55291769
>scared of proprietary drivers
>willing to pay 5x price
>for the boards made as some student project or demo product
>manufactured in less then 1k quantity
>with no distros, no drivers, no proper testing, no support, no community
>>
>>55291685
>SBCs that don't require proprietary blobs

No such thing unless you want to personally build a calculator out of vacuum tubes.
>>
>>55291685
Pine 64
>>
>>55292608
Looked it up and it seems like it could be good other than claims of questionable support from the manufacturer which I'll need to look into.

>>55293318
Uses a proprietary bootloader.
>>
>>55292608
>>55293548
The C2 appears to also require proprietary blobs to boot:
http://www.hardkernel.com/main/products/prdt_info.php?g_code=G145457216438&tab_idx=3

> Is full source code open and can I build it by myself?
>Yes. U-boot, Kernel and OS platform source code is available.
But there are two exceptions.
>1. GPU user-land drivers are library(binary) format. (Limited by ARM's policy)
>2. Boot blobs are in binary format (Limited by Amlogic's policy)

The C0 and C1 can be booted without blobs though and are cheaper.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.