[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
How important is power consumption to you when purchasing technolo/g/y?
>>
Medium-high priority. Electricity is unusually expensive for me, 0.227 USD/kWh. I definitely favor low power solutions. Thankfully those are quite common nowadays.
>>
I just recently started measuring power draw of all my electronics and cannot be more shocked.

My desktop PC draws as much as 150W when reading dank memes.

my thinkpad t61 can do the same and only draws 25W
>>
>>55279753
dont care at all
>>
Well, I'm apparently pretty conservative with electricity, because according to my power bills, I only use about a quarter of the average amount per person.

But I don't like actively give a shit about the power draw, as long as it's not like in the bottom 20% of efficiency or something, I just turn shit off when I don't use it.

Makes me wonder what the fuck the average person is doing, to be honest.
>>
>>55279962
Is it average person or average household? Lots of meters are attached to residences with multiple people. It adds up.
>>
>>55279993
If I recall correctly, it was an average household of your size, so basically the same as average person.
>>
>>55279844
This. I've stopped using my desktop for everything but photoshop and video games and shit, everything is now on my laptop.
>>
>>55279753
Semi-important. I don't pay for electricity, but higher consumption means more powerful and more expensive PSU and UPS and shorter battery runtime.
>>
File: guts_shitty.jpg (3 MB, 3840x2160) Image search: [Google]
guts_shitty.jpg
3 MB, 3840x2160
>>55279844
My primary PC draws less than my 2nd shitstation.

My huge primary station with all the fans, HDDs, a 350W GPU and waterpumps draws less than that Phenom II 300W shitty PSU thing when browsing.

That Fermi GT530 needs more power than my 780Ti (25 vs 15W).
>>
>>55279844
Wow. I thought my Desktop used a lot of power. But browsing and watching videos it never goes above 60W. 45W when idling.
>>
I actively and with great malice disable all power saving bloat, features, options, systems, functions etc.

I care about how things perform and do their job, not how much fucking noise they make, heat they generate.

Energy Saving shit is just faggoty feature-creep and bloat for nothing which increases costs for no actual performance gain or improvement upon the device's actual design.
>>
>>55279852
>>55280226
>>55280740

ITT: 12 year olds
>>
>>55279753
Depends on what the item is. A fridge, washer, water heater, any kind of utility unit matters a whole lot more than the pissant tens of watts here and there for leisure devices.
>>
>>55280948
This, PCs use nothing compared to other machines
>>
For me its not so much power draw. As it is wasted heat that i need to deal with. Back in the ol days when i was a dumb kid. I ran 4 gtx480s. Pretty sure my sperm count didnt rebound until the 600 series.
>>
I'd care more about what my PC and other shit is drawing if I didn't run a welder in my garage constantly. After a certain point in power bills, you just stop giving a fuck.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.