[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do you use Linux?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 132
Thread images: 12
Time and time again I try to go back and give Linux a shot, especially Ubuntu and Mint but they always fail me.

Today I just got everything set up and ready to go. All my shit was working flawlessly. I even had my network printer setup.

>HolyShitThatWasTooEasy.jpg

Then I go to get the latest nvidia driver. Install. Reboot.

>error messages
>doesn't boot
>BrickedPieceOfShit.jpg

While I shouldn't be surprised, it still amazes me that shit like this happens.

Is there any effort being put into distributions to make it as user friendly as windows?

Linux seems to be more of a headache than what's its worth. Am I right?
>>
>>55278587
kys
>>
User error.
>>
>>55278587
>Am I right?
No. 20 rupees in your account for such a thickly veiled attempt, Pajeet.
>>
>>55278587
I use it for work purposes, the services and products we're building cannot be built using Windows.
>>
>>55278587
Because if I'd ask people at work how to install software that I need there on Windows, they would just answer "good luck". That leaves me either with OS X or Linux.
>>
>>55278587
>Linux seems to be more of a headache than what's its worth. Am I right?+ 0 post omitted.
high barriers of entry are a good thing in technology because they keep the less knowledgeable out of areas where they'd do more damage than good.

In other words
>gitgud
>>
>>55278587
>Then I go to get the latest nvidia driver

/v/ tries linux everyone.
>>
>>55278654
What if op has an amd CPU?
>>
>>55278587
Pajeet, stop fucking around with Lincucks on company time. You must keep shit posting about Microsoft and Windows. Not Linux.

Please don't make us ask again. We will cancel your account.
>>
>>55278587
>to make it as user friendly
That's subjective, you even follow with "as Windows" to add a more set frame of perspective. But then fail to realise that you cannot compare workflow between two different individuals.

is pajeet hour upon us?
>>
>>55278587
>why do you use linux
It's free, easy to use (I'm sorry that you're retarded) and is a super comfy environment for servers and/or development.
>>
>>55278587
>Linux seems to be more of a headache than what's its worth. Am I right?

Yes of course you are right.

But for no life neckbeards, this is actually a plus you see.

It gives their worthless lives meaning. They can spend all their time trying to fix a fundamentally broken OS, instead of coming to terms with the fact that they're gigantic losers.
>>
File: 1465677018419.jpg (47 KB, 515x672) Image search: [Google]
1465677018419.jpg
47 KB, 515x672
OP is getting #rekt
>>
>>55278708
found the /v/ addicted NEET
>>
>>55278715
Sorry the truth hurts
>>
>>55278726
kek, did your mom help you with that comeback?
>>
>>55278654
>/v/ tries linux everyone.
You make this sound like a bad thing. Is it such a crime to want to play video games on your computer? /g/ is always talking about how more people should use Linux and this is probably the biggest reason they don't. This is the oldest, most obnoxious, failed argument on this board. If he had asked any other question about Linux he probably would have gotten a real answer but since Linux can't run Windows games for shit you fall back on the "muh linux" and "go back to /v/" bullshit because you can't face the reality that your operating system is a half-assed piece of shit.
>>
OP again. I love the design of most distros and the idea of free and open source but they make it so easy to fuck up its insane.

You either know exactly what you are doing or you grind it out and learn the hard way I suppose.

It's pretty hard to fuck up windows. Just sayin.
>>
>>55278740
Keep it up buddy, I'm sure you have all day
>>
>>55278755
>Is it such a crime to want to play video games on your computer?

Nope and if you want to then use an OS that gives a shit about gaming.
>>
>>55278755
>half-assed
Nah... the OS is pretty solid. Games just tend not to be developed for it because they are consumer products sold to the largest market, which uses Windows due to happenstance, not because it's a better operating system.
>>
>>55278587
>Why do you use Linux
I dropped Windows for Ubuntu specifically for privacy.
>Amazon search
It's not as bad as Microsoft.
I will likely swap when I feel more comfortable.

I can recount problems with windows like the updater hogging the CPU. Updating, updates automatic, restarting the service, nothing ever helped.
Yeah it's a headache though. The package manager is nice. I never worry if I'm at the correct website for something I'm trying to download.
>>
>>55278801
This is true. Why would they develop for an OS that a low percentage of users use. It's unfortunate but true.
>>
>never have any errors or problems on linux
>great performance on games and emulating
What am I doing right? Apart from buying nvidia.
>>
>>55278755
>You make this sound like a bad thing. Is it such a crime to want to play video games on your computer?
It's not a crime, but the clear signature of a retarded manchild.
>>
>>55278587
you are right, m9.
But it heavily depends on your hardware. I had the same fuckin problem with muh old computer. Now I bought a new one and ubuntu runs fuckin perfect
>>
>>55278906
What is so inherently wrong with video games? Why is /g/ so ass hurt about them?
>>
>>55278689
This
>>
>>55278951
lol manchild detected XDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD
>>
>>55278951
it's not that we hate video games, we just hate the assholes that play them and post about them on /g/, especially when /v/ and /vg/ exist
>>
>>55278978
This.
>>
>>55278587
ubuntu 16.04 is shit. try an arch based distro like manjaro. most shit can be installed easily from the aur and the arch wiki is better than reading askubuntu threads to figure out your problems
>>
>>55278951
There's nothing wrong with video games. I fucking love video games. I also fucking love linux. I play some of my games on linux. I also play some on windows.

None of these things detract from the fact that you are a moron, though.
>>
Want the real reason for why people use Linux? Honestly, it's a combination of social isolation and autism. I have a life, a career, kids, ect, and do not have enough time to fuck around with shitty operating systems. I tip my cap to people that do, but I have a life. Linux is shit anyways. I have no complaints with windows to be honest. They can spy on me I don't really give a shit. If you use google or kikebook or Youtube they are collecting data too. Who cares? Only schizophrenic NEETS do.
>>
Works on my machine. Was using Xubuntu on my T420 but I decided to install Fedora 24. No problems here.
>>
>he didnt use jockey-gtk to install drivers

Thwre was a user freindly solution right in front of you and you did it the stupid way anyhow this is all your fault
>>
Until they come up with a version of Linux that isn't total shit and doesn't require a PHD in computer science to use, nobody is gonna waste their time with it. There are a billion different options out there, but none of them are good. There are faults with Windows 10, but at least they have their shit together and I can actually play my games. Linux fucking sucks and I am not convinced they are going to reach a broader market then the codemonkey NEET niche.
>>
>>55278708
Pajeet are you sassing me?
>>
anyway, I'm in the same boat. installed ubuntu, tried proprietary nvidia driver, black screen on reboot.
tried installing from nvidia download site, I have to disable nouveau (impossible), x server (impossible without bricking shit) and then I had my drivers working (yeah, 480x800 resolution and I can't pass through log screen)
fuck it. I'm going to give it last chance today
>>
>>55278951
They are circuses that keep the masses deluded and trapped in fantasy worlds from which they do not want to escape. Video games will result in the destruction of civilization.
>>
>>55279035
>>55279071
Bait
>>
I rarely have problems with the nvidia drivers, and when I have, it's usually easily fixable.

Also, since when does everything work flawlessly on a fresh Windows install? It didn't even used to come with drivers, don't know if much has changed.
>>
>>55278755
You will soon realise that /g/ is one of lower quality boards in whole of 4chan, easily comparable to s4s or r9k. This is very low quality board
>>
>>55279850
Good god, yes.

Delete /g/ and turn this place into /g/uro already.
>>
>>55279850
>This is very low quality board
thx pajeet. hab rupee
>>
Assuming this isn't troll bait I have a couple of tips.

1. Install the drivers from the distribution's repository rather than getting them from the manufacturers website. Ubuntu at the very least should pull in all the dependencies.

2. Make sure you have all the kernel sources and build-essential packages. You usually need them to create a kernel module for your driver.

3. If you're having trouble, Google is your friend. Odds are someone has had the same problem you're having and there often is a fix.
>>
>>55278587
Linux doesn't really target everyone. People who do not more about their computers should stay away from these OSes

Reading your posts, I can't bring myself to think that you fall in the category.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Qj8p-PEwbI
>>
>>55279990
That video was made by some kind of fake news show comedy program, right...?
>>
>>55278587
>Then I go to get the latest nvidia driver. Install. Reboot.
>error messages
>doesn't boot
>BrickedPieceOfShit.jpg

Are you using a laptop? nvidia drivers on Linux are pretty good, unless you have to deal with nvida optimus (switching between integrated intel card and dedicated nvidia card), in which case you need to summon the devil, as he's the only one who can make this piece of turd work. I wish I was joking.
>>
>>55280225
Nvidia Optimus/PRIME support on official drivers worked out of the box on Ubuntu 16.04 for me when I plugged in an eGPU.
>>
File: yang is my husbando.jpg (157 KB, 742x808) Image search: [Google]
yang is my husbando.jpg
157 KB, 742x808
>Why do you use Linux?
I feel most comfortable in *nix systems and on a desktop am most comfortable with a reliable windows-and-taskbar-and-start-menu UI paradigm. So I use Cinnamon, which is a refined spiritual successor of that paradigm in my eyes (so is MATE, of course, but I prefer gtk3).

Every OS has its headaches, and the degree to which they are a headache is mostly a function of familiarity. It has been a decade since I started using Linux part time, five since I switched exclusively, and so my familiarity with Linux's rough edges and the associated quick solutions is high.

I used to know a great deal about Windows XP, Vista and 7 configuration and maintenance. I also had a modest amount of experience with OS X's nuances. These days those systems frustrate me to no end when something goes wrong. The errors seem opaque, the solutions half-assed, inconsistent, and so forth. But I realize that my frustration comes in part from a lack of familiarity, and if I were constantly dealing with Windows 10 or MacOS (nee OS X), I would be able to deftly avoid cutting myself on their sharp edges the same way I avoid them on Linux.

Hell I'll go so far as to say that since I switched from Gentoo in 2010 to exclusively Debian-based systems, I'm even unfamiliar with (and more likely to be impatient) when using Arch, Fedora, and so forth.

TL;DR: I use Linux because I genuinely like it best, but recognize that "like" comes in part simply from being used to it, and that the same would work for other the other major OSes if I were forced to use them for a long time. Though I did try OS X again recently, back in 2014, and left for Linux again after 5 months.
>>
>>55278628
>I use it for work purposes, the services and products we're building cannot be built using Windows.
>Lying on the internet
Why?
>>
File: hurrDurrNoBroadcom.png (266 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
hurrDurrNoBroadcom.png
266 KB, 1366x768
>>55280154
Not really, no. She was very real.
>>
>>55278960
>calling someone manchild.
>using XDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD in the same post
Are you 12?
>>
Stop lying, Microsoft, we know you're full of goddamn shit.

Also, stop replying to this garbage, /g/.
>>
Linux is horrible.
>Search for a problem on windows
>Solution you find can be adapted for nearly any windows version in existence

>Search for something as simple as sending a mail from a linux server over smtp?
>90 different solutions that all only work on that exact version of a distribution and are changed every now and then
>Have to try out all of them because nothing is documented well and all documentations are horribly outdated.
That's linux.
I really only use it for extremely special stuff like my centreon server, it's ok for that but still an abomination to configure.
>>
>>55280805
>sending a mail from a linux server over smtp?
If you don't think this actually needs searching I feel sorry for you.
/g/ is dead
>>
>>55280805
Just report this shit, Microsoft is paying people to troll /g/. This has to end now.

DEAR 4CHAN ADMINS: BLOCK MICROSOFT'S IP RANGES FROM POSTING TO YOUR SITE. DO IT NOW. I HAVE BEEN TELLING YOU THIS SHIT FOR YEARS AND YOU WON'T FUCKING DO IT.
>>
>>55280851
You do really think it needs paid people to find out linux is horrible? You are ridiculous.
If you really use it you should already know why.
And the community is horrible too, including little shits like you.
>>
>>55279035
>I have a life, a career, kids, ect, and do not have enough time to fuck around with shitty operating systems

That's all the more reason to use the superior option of GNU/Linux. I've had to spend way less time fucking around since I switched.
>>
>>55279603
Okay neo! Time to wake up. WAKE UP!
>>
File: image.jpg (71 KB, 480x640) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
71 KB, 480x640
>>55278628
>>
File: 1400945176705.gif (547 KB, 360x359) Image search: [Google]
1400945176705.gif
547 KB, 360x359
>>55278587
>linux
>nvidia
Pick one.
>>
Don't you know op, if you aren't running arch Linux on an ancient Thinkpad then you, your hobbies, your family and everything you have ever lived for is a meme.
>>
>>55280750
ubuntu was a joke in that time but i can't blame her for being retarded not knowing how to install any other OS.
>>
>use windows
>driver breaks, bluescreen
>"THANKS NVIDIAMD"
>use linux
>driver breaks
>"WOW LINUX IS SHIT THIS FUCKING TOY OS IS UNUSABLE ON ``THE DESKTOP'' AND BELONGS ON A FUCKING SERVER KILL YOURSELF NECKBEARDS HOW CAN YOU HOLD A JOB (ANY JOB) AND USE THIS FUCKING TIMESINK YOU'RE BASICALLY FUCKING PATHETIC AND LOST YOUR VIRGINITY TO A JAR OF PEANUT BUTTER AND YOUR NEIGHBOUR'S DOG WHILE LOOKING AT PICTURES OF LUCKY STAR NAKED OH MY GOD I'M RIGHT AREN'T I HOW PATHETIC I SHIT ALL OVER YOU PIC RELATED ITS ME AND MY BITCH OH MY FUCKING GOD THAT SPIDER IS HUGE GET IT OFF ME"
>>
>>55280983
It doesn't have to be Arch, any linux distribution is fine.
>>
When I turn on my computer, and ask it to do something, no matter how stupid that thing may be, it does it.

It doesn't update unless I tell it to, and I don't need to restart after.

I'm still running the same OS when I do restart.

No more navigating through scammy sites to download programs at 50 kbps unless I pay.

I'm immune to the vast majority of malware.

It uses less CPU cycles and memory.

The command line is more intuitive and actually useful.

I spend way less time troubleshooting than I did with windows.
>>
>>55279603
People said the same of books in the 16th century and movies in the 20th
>>
>>55281147
>People said the same of books in the 16th century and movies in the 20th
And traveling bards before that. And they were all right in different ways. About the fantasy worlds part. Wrong on the "destruction of civilization" part. Civilization will find a way to endure. Individual people though, are a different matter. A little consumption never hurt anyone, until it kept them too preoccupied to create worlds of their own.
>>
>>55281147
They weren't wrong

>works of fiction
>not literally the cancer of society
>>
>>55281147
Except they were right about books and even more right about movies. In reality only a tiny aristocratic elite should be allowed to read at all and art should be banned, except for religious hymns.
>>
>>55279603
*tips fedora
>>
File: 1447266893637.jpg (234 KB, 1680x1050) Image search: [Google]
1447266893637.jpg
234 KB, 1680x1050
>>55278587
>>
>>55278587
>Then I go to get the latest nvidia driver

That's the trouble with proprietary software. They're shit.

Nvidia has always broken all distros I have ever used. Nouveau works flawlessly. If it gets good hardware acceleration, it'll become some kind of killer app.
>>
>>55280906
> Muh elitism
> Muh billion dollar company
> Still cant even program a fucking start menu

Kek
>>
>>55278587

I use Linux because I'm a Software Developer. I use it mainly for work, although I duel boot it at home because windows isn't very good for day to day task if you ask me.

I use Debian with Gnome 3, and everything just works because I'm not a fucking retard and I know what I'm doing. Also I'm using Debian instead of Arch because of stability.
>>
>>55278758
It is easy as hell to fuck up windows even without admin rights, on GNU/Linux not so much. you are just new to it and need to learn to have the same level of expertise as you had with windows.
>>
File: ems.jpg (46 KB, 480x813) Image search: [Google]
ems.jpg
46 KB, 480x813
>>55280285
Please, tell me how the fuck you got GPU switching working.
>>
>>55280760
> 2016
> not understanding irony
Are you 12?
>>
>>55281430
Except with my GTX 960m performance is appalling. Don't get me wrong I still use nouveau, but they really need to fucking sort out power management on newer cards
>>
File: 1437315842951.jpg (11 KB, 300x268) Image search: [Google]
1437315842951.jpg
11 KB, 300x268
>>55278587
>2000+16
>falling for the linux meme
>>
>>55278755
>Is it such a crime to want to play video games on your computer?

It should be. Most people are disgusted by retarded manchildren.
>>
>>55284081
The funniest thing about that comic is the fucking helicopter in the drive-thru line.
>>
>>55278587
I don't use Linux on my main machine but I have sysrescuecd, debian, ubuntu and arch livecds. They have a lot of tools and you can even download and install utilities on the livecds which really comes in handy in some situations, like when your MBR gets fucked and you can't boot into your main OS.
>>
>>55278587
Windows shit the bed on me like three years ago. Decided to fall for the /g/ meme and try it out. Installed Ubuntu and everything worked out. Considered about going back to Windows but Windows 10 rolled out and I decided to stick with Ubuntu for now. Eventually I'll probably pick up a Windows machine, but only for gaming. I'm thinking two monitors on my Ubuntu machine and one display for my Windows one.
>>
>>55278587
i have hardware that is unsupported on modern windows and linux uses less resources too
>>
>>55278587
Ubuntu and Mint are dumb meme distros
try Fedora if you want something that actually just weks
>>
Because I'm technologically retarded and Linux;

1. Forces me to get better at solving things on my own
1.5 Forces me to learn Linux, and that's apparently attractive in the job market (?)
2. Makes me feel warm and cozy under my tinfoil hat
>>
I want to like Linux, but there's still so much missing. Of course, it's not all the fault of the OS, since hardware support is mostly a manufacturer problem, but it's still discouraging to see how poorly it runs.
>>
>>55278587
No, we don't want your fucking noobie grandma tier technophobes ruining our OS (well maybe the GNOME people do)
>>
>>55278587
>Works flawlessly before NVIDIA driver
>Dies AFTER installing NVIDIA driver
And that's Linux fault, not NVIDIAs?
>>
>>55278587
If you insist on using a proprietary driver that requires user intervention, (an infrequent task you may forget in time) save a txt file in your documents folder with a howto. You don't need a graphical display to view a txt file in less. And take the time to install and learn to use usr/bin/screen.
>>
>>55278607
what error exactly? installing drivers?
>>
>>55278587
How did you fuck up installing Nvidia drivers on Ubuntu? I've been using Ubuntu for about a year and a half with a Nvidia GPU and I've never gotten any error messages or similar issues.

The simplest way to install drivers for Nvidia GPUs is by just adding the Nvidia PPA to your list of PPA's, doing a sudo apt-get update and then picking out the drivers you want under "additional drivers" in the settings. Shit, you don't even need to reboot the machine when you do that.

With a job as simple as that, the only conclusion I can come to is that the OP is just a microbabby too clueless with anything except windows to be able to even install drivers from Nvidia on Linux.
>>
Part of me wants to just redirect you to /v/, and I actually should, but I think you should know that I play video games on Arch GNU/Linux regularly and I had no issues installing the nvidia driver. I'm not entirely sure what you did wrong especially since you conveniently left out the error you got, but I'm sure it would be a simple fix.

One other thing, nvidia is to blame here. Don't blame the kernel. Every piece of software is responsible for itself most of the time. I've had a lot of bugs specifically with nvidia and steam, but that's their own fault. The worst part is that they're non-free software, so we're at their mercy waiting on a fix. Steam still can't auto change your status to away or snooze on GNU. I'm pretty sure they're not even working on fixing this.

I hope you figure it out, OP. Either /fglt/ or /sqt/ can probably help.
>>
>>55278587
It depends alot on the hardware. Fell for the thinkpad meme, and Ubuntu works flawlessly.

Reasons I use it over windows are:
>Privacy
>And that I learn more from using it
>The FOSS philosophy is growing on me.
>>
I don't really understand why people choose to use Linux over Windows? Not bashing or anything just what are the benefits? I find the customization and being able to tweak everything cool and I'll probably try it in the future desu just don't see why everyone argues which is better?
>>
>>55278951
It's just off topic. Don't turn this into something it's not.
>>
>>55284888
>tfw when "t b h" auto corrected to "desu"

also trips
>>
File: 1463375618742.png (1 MB, 1280x832) Image search: [Google]
1463375618742.png
1 MB, 1280x832
>>55278813
>Ubuntu
>private
isn't life wonderful when we are all one, anon?
>>
>>55284888
I honestly feel like Windows users do not belong on /g/

The board is for technology enthusiasts, not just people who use computers. If you don't know why you should use GNU, just go try it...
>>
>>55280285
Laptop Optimus is not the same as two cards.
>>
>>55284888
It respects your human rights, while Windows/Mac trample on them. That's reason enough for me. The customization and education are just awesome bonuses.
>>
You aren't supposed to directly install web drivers from Nvidia, mostly because there's so much variation between different distros and there will be many unintended consequences (i.e. bricking your install).

For Ubuntu, you can install the Nvidia drivers via a PPA. The most popular one I believe is "graphics-drivers".

Every distro has a different method for installing these drivers. Linux Mint has a built in installer where you just click and it installs everything for you. In Debian, you can pull nvidia-driver directly from the Debian repos.
>>
>>55281339
sounds boring
>>
>>55284967
>not at all listing any valid reason as to why I would switch from Windows

Thanks for your valuable input anon great job

>>55284979
Good enough reason for me. I'll probably give it a try like I said I've always been interested in it just didn't see the benefits since everyone I ask gets triggered and tells me to fuck off rather than just explaining why they choose not to use Windows
>>
>>55281134
if steam could somehow magically let you run all windows games through it windows would de overnight
>>
>>55278587
>Is there any effort being put into distributions to make it as user friendly as windows?
no, nvidia puts no effort into their drivers and i wouldn't be surprised if they actively hinder them
>>55278755
>your operating system is a half-assed piece of shit.
lol
the proprietary drivers are garbage(esp. nvidia) which is NVIDIA/AMDs fault. the open source nvidia drivers are garbage because it's pretty closed down, the authors have to reverse engineer a ton and new graphics cards keep being released so there's usually substantial lag. No idea about open source AMD drivers, although i've heard AMD is a lot more open and friendly towards open source.
>>
>>55279035
>I have a life, a career, kids, ect
Do you enjoy providing information about them to third-party entities?
>>
>Not seeing if you have the right driver via live usb
>not looking up gpu compatibility
Wew lad
>>
>>55284961
a million times more private than win10
and probably more private than an unmodified win7
>>
>>55278587
Well, I'm too lazy to install and configure Windows.
>>
File: 1465695018974.png (153 KB, 351x351) Image search: [Google]
1465695018974.png
153 KB, 351x351
Since my IQ has more than 2 digits Ubuntu just works for me.
>>
>>55278587
I had the same problem.

>want to use gnu/linux
>look at distrowatch
>mint is good --> ok then mint
>starting to dislike it because of reason
>try other distro
>dislike them all
>find porteus
>can create the iso with web gui
>complete System with kde all standart software and and firefox+flash = 200mb
>wonder what the 1.5gb of mit is for
>programm with godot using gimp and blender just works

Using it since then. You only have to find the right thing for you buddy.
>>
>>55286493
>IQ digits > 2
>Ubuntu

Pick one.
>>
>>55286493
A literal monkey could use ubuntu.
>>
>>55278587
you gave up because 1 driver failed you?
Hooly shit you're lazy
>>
File: nasa_ubuntu.jpg (377 KB, 1980x1320) Image search: [Google]
nasa_ubuntu.jpg
377 KB, 1980x1320
>>55287597
>This is what NEETs think
Keep ricing your desktop kid.
>>
>use nonfree binary that does all sorts of fucked up shit to Xorg and Linux kernel
>mad that it stops working

Sorry you're retarded op. Maybe blame noshittya for making shitty software.
>>
>>55287665
I'm not lazy. I reinstalled it right after. I'm just tired of trying to justify using it at this point.
>>
>>55278587
Originally it was just a learning experience but I stuck with it for about ten years now and it's still the tip of the iceberg. Knowledge of UNIX and UNIX-like operating systems is a very useful skill if you're interested in that field of work/study. I don't use it just for school and development but mainly because it offers the users more freedom and an integrated learning experience that can also be a ton of fun and of course everyone knows fun rules. Despite what some people may think a computer does not think for itself, it only does what it is told to and most issues are either caused by the users or the devs. If you're new to GNU/Linux then try a lighter system. Rule of thumb is
>less bloat == less bugs
If you're on a server then keep the software down to about the bare minimum. Don't make GNU/Linux and the software it supports your enemy.
>>
>>55278587
>>55290095
Also after a few years ago I never really trust Nvidia's software. I have an optimus card and I use the nouveau drivers and that's about it. Even with nouveau I have modesetting=0 so lol yeah. It works for some people and it doesn't for others. That's Nvidia's fault.
>>
>>55287680
This, but also note that Ubuntu is probably just used because ease of install, management, and is much easier to learn for the researchers that haven't used Linux before. Nasa could use an distro it wants, but the sys admins probably install Ubuntu because it's the easiest
>>
>>55279850
Everyone says this about every board.

Go and check out /vp/ if you want to see the actual worst.
>>
>>55287638
Why do niggers only steal Apple products then?
>>
>>55280750
Fuggg!
>>
>>55280733
Are you stupid?
>>
>>55278587
It doesn't try to force the botnet on me and tiling WMs are comfy as fuck.
>>
>>55285996
He said he had a life, a career, kids ...
He didn't say he loved them.
>>
>>55278605
>kys
You niggers need to fuck off back to YouTube,
Thread replies: 132
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.