[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is Gentoo hard to install?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: .jpg (100 KB, 540x540) Image search: [Google]
.jpg
100 KB, 540x540
Is Gentoo hard to install?
>>
>>55273444
Only if you're a retarded single-digit IQ faggot that doesn't know how to follow a fucking guide
>>
>>55273444
No. Follow the guide on their website
>>
No harder than arch. Its just tedious
>>
>>55273493
>>55273496
>>55273504
All of these are correct.
>>
Would you like to GNU deliciously?
>>
It's not difficult if you know what you're doing or can follow a guide and troubleshoot. But it's time consuming. I'd only use it on older hardware this is never going to change, because the more the hardware changes, the more you have to fuck with it. For example, you decide to get a bluetooth USB dongle. Now you've got to recompile your kernel with support for it, compile the bluetooth application stack, and add a USE flag for it, which will recompile all applications that have bluetooth support in their ebuild. It can be an ordeal to do things that are just plug and play in other distros.
>>
No but there's a ton of documentation you have to read to even use it
>>
>>55274300
Do you have butter?
>>
>>55274408
You call that tedious, I call it fun.

I like having that control.
>>
>>55274776
I never called it tedious.

It's time consuming. That's all fine and good while you're unemployed. But once you've got a job sucking up at least eight hours of every day, then you need to make compromises on what you're willing to put up with for your PC. I didn't necessarily mind dealing with Gentoo, and I learned a lot from using it as a daily driver, but it is a massive time sink that some people may not be willing to allocate for. After your hundredth kernel recompile you're probably not going to learn much more from the process either, and spending that time to something more beneficial is preferable.
>>
I installed it once, but elected to install it without a graphical DE. I regretted my decision and decided to wipe the whole thing and go back to Windows.
>>
>>55274300
No, but I'd like to Linux deliciously.
>>
>>55274959
Gentoo doesn't present options during the install process. If you want a DE, you can install it at any time and it will be the same amount of work as installing it earlier. So either you didn't install Gentoo or you didn't know what you were doing.
>>
>>55273444
>Wants to install satanOS
>>
>>55274849
If you have a kernel built with support for almost everything, and you have your userland setup the way you want, maintenance of Gentoo isn't even time consuming though.

You just run
emerge -avuDN --with-bdeps=y @world
every once in a while and let it upgrade.

If you haven't fucked your system up too much you should rarely come into anything that gives you trouble. At the end of the day Gentoo gives me less stress than something like Fedora. I do use Fedora though on my laptop, which I agree is easier to maintain IF you don't benefit from the extra choice/flexibility of Gentoo.

I wrote a shell script to upgrade my kernel, one of the only manually-intensive package upgrades.

#!/bin/bash

set -e

cp /usr/src/linux/.config /usr/src/config

eselect kernel list
echo Select new kernel.
read kernel
eselect kernel set $kernel

mv /usr/src/config /usr/src/linux/.config

cd /usr/src/linux
make oldconfig
make prepare
make -j8
make modules_install
mount /boot
make install

genkernel --install initramfs
grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg
>>
>>55275302
>If you have a kernel built with support for almost everything
I understand why you'd do that, I just don't understand why you'd use Gentoo if you're doing that. If you're going to include support for everything under the sun, you may as well use a distro with pre-compiled binaries. I've always looked at Gentoo as a way to get a distro tailored to your specific hardware and use cases. The only thing I can think of for why Gentoo would benefit me there is in the extremely rare instances where I've had to patch applications (like applying a patch to Wine to fix brush support in Photoshop) but that doesn't make up for all the hassle Gentoo would give me.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.