[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why haven't you used xmodmap to swap the space and shift
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3
File: 1461098058638.png (194 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1461098058638.png
194 KB, 500x500
Why haven't you used xmodmap to swap the space and shift keys yet, anon?
>>
>>55259348
she's NOT she's ONE OF THE BEST along with her girlfriend, Mio. don't post in my thread again while your space bar isn't acting as shift
>>
>>55259332
because you're dumb and that's a dumb idea
>>
>>55259367
It seems strange at first, but try it out—i think you'll like it
>>
every k-on is the best, much like rebinding your shift to space and vice versa
>>
dumb animeposter
>>
>>55259375
I have nothing to lose, I'll give it a go, especially as Ritsu best girl
>>
>>55259332
That would be fucking retarded, the space key is one of the most important to access quickly and easily from any hand position.

Now, here are some more useful ideas:

1. Use capslock as a modifier instead (e.g. control for emacs users; I use it to control my wm)
2. Swap the number row with the symbols on them (programmers only)
3. Remove the useless F-keys and map more useful symbols onto them
4. Remap the left shift key to alt (mod1) instead, use it for keybindings in programs. (And the right shift key for capitalization)
5. Remap the left super key to shift (don't really need two of them anyway, especially not when you have capslock mapped to super)

In general, the less you're pressing modifiers, the better - and the less you're pressing the modifiers at the bottom left of the keyboard, the better.
>>
>>55259515
Interesting points, but I implore you to try shifting with the spacebar instead. consider the following: you type every other character with your fingers, so why does the space use a thumb? Doesn't it make more sense to use the less dextrous phalange as a modifier?

typed with shift rebound to space
>>
File: 1466749940210.jpg (110 KB, 960x940) Image search: [Google]
1466749940210.jpg
110 KB, 960x940
>>55259332
>Year of our Lord 20xx
>RX 480 is about to release, a woman is about to be in office and the UK has departed the cuck union
>Not mapping F row keys to emojis like a true F.A.M.
ishygddt
>>
File: 1466898298022.jpg (108 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
1466898298022.jpg
108 KB, 600x600
wow rude mods
>>
because i have shift on one of my foot pedals, anon
>>
>>55259590
I have shift+ralt mapped to the poop emoji so the joke's on you fampai
>>
>>55259332
why would i?
>>
>>55259642
>Laughing crying face.mji
>100_.mji
>Unicode carrot smiley
>Laughing girls eating salad.jpg
>>
>>55259552
Space needs to be pressed after every single word. If you use shift, that means lots of horizontal movement. The spacebar can be pressed from every orientation, which means very little lateral movement. Finger dexterity has little to do with it - you want to be minimizing wrist reorientations / hand movements.

Also, the thing about every hip new alt-layout (COLEMAK, WORKMAN etc.) is that they only break down once you get past a certain speed barrier - at low speeds every conceivable mapping is fine. Go type your retarded shift-space swap layout at 150 wpm for an hour and if your wrists aren't physically burning at that point, you must have impaired pain receptors.

At high speeds, QWERTY is almost unbeatable both for comfort and for speed, because its design quirk of spreading keys out allows for a high degree of “parallelism” in positioning your hands to type digraphs and syllables.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.