[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
FTP Anyone still use this to send shit, or does everyone s
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1
File: ftp.gif (17 KB, 317x204) Image search: [Google]
ftp.gif
17 KB, 317x204
FTP

Anyone still use this to send shit, or does everyone stick to HTTP and Shit like BT now.

If anyone does still use this, what are some interesting FTP sites to check out - whats on it.

I remember FTP sites being kinda big in the 90s with ftp.cdrom.com but i was young then, didn't really give a shit.

Also accepted SFTP\FTPS\SCP\whatever

Is there a reason nobody made a better FTP, one with Searching and Metadata? (i mean at that point they serve a different purpose but w/e)
>>
>>55254751
bump
>>
>>55254751
>If anyone does still use this

>tfw silence is the answer
>>
>>55254751
I use FTP every once in a while, if only to grab source files from a repository. It was never all that popular and it became even less so once the Internet became popular. I've also used it to store and retrieve files on my router, just in case I want to access those files without having to tunnel into my home PC.

As for websites that allow for FTP transfers, they are few and far in between. Most of the time, the sites that do offer FTP transfers only offer it as an after thought (or as a legacy protocol).
>>
all the cool kids used the napalm ftp indexer for warez back in the day
>>
>not getting acrobat reader with the sekrit ftp server
>>
>>55254751
Yeah kinda if you work in journalism often times press releases for new products and shit come with an FTP link to a bunch of press assets. Videos and high res images and shit.
>>
>>55254751
Send it? No, I only use it to download from my seedbox.

>your welcome leechers
>>
>>55254751
Yeah, I use FTP from time to time.
For my local network too.
>>
WebDAV > FTP
so fuck no
>>
>>55254751
I still run an FTP server just for remote file access on my NAS. Properly secured and whatnot but still not posting the address here
>>
There is no properly secured pure FTP. The credentials are in plaintext. SFTP or FTP/S sure, but no FTP
>>
I used it not long ago to put some games on my xbox
>>
I used SFTP at work to send files to production
>>
Is using ftp to update a website remotely safe?
>>
>>55259278
as safe as anything else with password protection
>>
I use SFTP
>>
Sftp/FTP is used more so in local networks now. As opposed to HTTP over local networks.
>>
>>55254751
>Is there a reason nobody made a better FTP, one with Searching and Metadata?
Because decentralization is generally a good idea. Why do you think CDNs are a thing?
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.