[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
hello /g/ents /g/oogle hasnt been able to help me with linux
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
hello /g/ents
/g/oogle hasnt been able to help me with linux so im hoping u can

im installing ubuntu 15.04 and im at the drive partitions (in advanced) and im wanting to merge them all into one drive. I have 3 drives total. Thanks /g/ents!
>>
Install Gentoo
>>
>>55246801
might have compatibility problems with that russet. id recommend a yam, there are open source drivers for this
>>
>>55246845
had it, got tired. also gentoo would still lead me to the same shit.
>>
>>55246801
as in software raid? you can do that with btrfs or mdadm
>>
>>55246916
i just want all 3 partitions to be one for file sharing with samba.
>>
>>55246932
to be clear, are you talking about 3 partitions on one physical disk, or three physical disks?
>>
>>55246966
three physical disks into one partition
>>
>>55247164
Raw partitions can only be defined per-disk. You want a volume manager or raid.
http://tldp.org/HOWTO/LVM-HOWTO/
>>
>>55247164
i'd recommend btrfs, then (though you can also use mdadm, lvm and zfs as well)

for 3 disks, your options are;
- spanned (just attached them together)
- raid0 (stripes the data such that the disks are used equally, for a speed advantage)
- raid1 (places each piece of data on two of the disks, halves the total space, but allows for any one disk to fail without data loss)
- raid5 (distributed parity, you lose one disk worth of space, assuming the disks are the same size, but also allows for any one disk to fail without data loss)
>>
>>55247254
if you're wondering why btrfs, a major point for home use is that btrfs is very flexible
you can resize partitions, add/remove disks, change raid levels, etc whenever you like, without so much as having to unmount/shutdown
>>
>>55247254
>>55247286
creating raid 0 now

thank you my /g/entle manm you have successfully helped this man out!

+1
>>
>>55247328
np, keep in mind that with raid0, if one disk fails, you lose access to all the data on all the disks
>>
>>55247342
ok thank you
>>
>>55246801
>>
>>55247328
>raid0
oh god please be bait
>>
>>55248337
some people just don't really care about their data
>>
Next week.
Guys I think one of my drives died how do I get my data back?
What do you mean its gone? Can't i just use some program to get it back?
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.