[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Has anyone built or thought about building a new, high-end PC
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 3
File: old_faggot.jpg (32 KB, 800x580) Image search: [Google]
old_faggot.jpg
32 KB, 800x580
Has anyone built or thought about building a new, high-end PC in one of these old ass cases? The only issue I can think of would be ventilation/probably no watercooling.
>>
That particular case, I think, pre-dates the atx standard. I don't know if there'd be enough space for a modern motherboard, the motherboard mountings will be in the wrong place, and the psu and power switch connectors won't have the right pinout.

An early ATX case, on the other hand, you should be ok.
>>
>>55240225
in terms of the op, you are right, but even these pre-atx cases can be rigged to work

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-TkQ7KZcbI
>>
>>55240198
You mean a sleeper?

Yes I've thought about it but i've been unable to find a case.
>>
>>55240225
It's not that hard to mod an AT case to take an ATX board, if its big enough and you can use a dremel.
>>
File: IMG_0402.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0402.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
not as old but my P4 era thinkcenter made a great case for modern components

issue is definitely airflow though, only one case fan possible and its 92mm
>>
do you not see the intake fan on the front?

fucking millenilels
>>
>>55241595
They make fans that go into your 5.25" / 3.5" external expansion slots you know.. They work amazingly well.

It's also not particularly difficult to mod your case given the proper tools.
>>
File: 1466715830243.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
1466715830243.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>55241716
i could probably do one in the 5.25" bays but then it wouldnt look good from the outside
the current airflow is fucked, the case fan is pushing air in, the cpu fan is pushing air up, and the PSU is pulling air out, along with the gpu fan at the bottom facing the base of the case

its gonna be like a 90c tornado in there

ill try something, ive thought about PCI blower fans, and possibly just sticking a small usb fan in there to pull air in from the front vents
>>
>>55241772
If you're worried about having a big vent in the bay there are brackets you can buy that enable you to mount internal fans from those bays without compromising the face plate.

http://www.moddiy.com/products/5.25-Bay-Case-Fan-Cooler-Acrylic-Mounting-Kit.html?gclid=CjwKEAjwtLO7BRDax4-I4_6G71USJAA6FjN1jC6vcJXROvdqektGzTFsf4GDf8P3MGnhvoA4hervnxoCtE3w_wcB

I would really suggest cutting out a hole in the bottom for your gpu to draw cool air in, there's even plenty of space there to make an additional vent for a fan.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.