[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey, /g/uys. I have to go to Alaska for reasons, for 12 months
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
File: fairbanks-alaska.jpg (72 KB, 600x384) Image search: [Google]
fairbanks-alaska.jpg
72 KB, 600x384
Hey, /g/uys. I have to go to Alaska for reasons, for 12 months and I don't want to pay electricity bills for a heater and a PC while there.

It's a shared bath and the company is paying for the water, but food, light and lodging is my concern.

What video card would keep my keep my room nice and toasty through the cold nights?
>>
>>55240070

Anything Fermi. Also, get a Pentium 4 or Pentium D.
>>
I usually shitpost here, but as someone who used to be outdoor manual labor I can tell you right now your worry shouldn't be what PC build you're going to be using friend.

Have a hand crank light, dry non-perishable foods, and make sure you have more than one pair of thermal underwear layers.
When I used to work in (and on one occasion even under this temp) -20F I had to wear boxers, thermals, a gym shorts then pants in that order, expensive socks, sturdy boots. A turtleneck, work shirt, fleece jacket, then outside jacket. Fleece gloves, with surplus army leather gloves over that, a scarf over mouth, glasses, an army beanie, then a standalone hood with included balacava.

I know this doesn't answer your question at all OP, but take this advice, I learned the hard way. You take anything off of your head for just five minutes and you get bronchitis and possibly pneumonia. I labored for 3 months straight with bronchitis that kept recurring.

Are you doing physical labor, or comfy office work?
>>
>>55240102
>>55240169
Thanks for the help guys.
>>
>>55240169
Are you Phillip?
>>
>>55240070
power mac G5 or a rackmount server
>>
>>55240070
AMD FX8XXX CPU overclocked to 4.5-5GHz with quad SLI/Crossfire GFX cards of choice.
>>
>>55240070

Get several Xbox 360s at a pawn shop. They'll keep ya warm.
>>
>>55240070
get an 8 core amd cpu
take whatever old 2x 8pin graphics cards you can find in the trash
you might find one of those amd cpus in the trash too, because that's what they are
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.