[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Whats the point of overclocking is it really worth making your
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
File: 1466684567422.jpg (38 KB, 550x404) Image search: [Google]
1466684567422.jpg
38 KB, 550x404
Whats the point of overclocking
is it really worth making your pc run at the speed of light and risk blowing it up for a gain of 2fps in your vidyagames?
>>
>>55239522
OC won't blow your CPU up. CPUs are probably the least likely part to die on your computer.
>>
You overclock shitty cheap hardware to make it work like good hardware
>>
>>55239522
>and risk blowing it up
this risk is so small as to be negligible. your system will become unstable long, long before it is at risk of damage. If it is unstable, just reset the CMOS data.
>for a gain of 2fps in your vidyagames?
you can easily make a larger gain than that.
>>
>>55239522
pretty much the conclusion I've come to is that overclocking just isn't worth effort of having to trial and error stability check, considering how fast modern hardware is anyway.
At the end of yhe day, who knows if your prime95/linpack/whatever stable oc is ACTUALLY stable.
That said, I still like doing it - have been since my k6-2 days.
>>
>overclock gpu 5ghz on core + mem clock
>display driver crashes then resets
>lower the clock by 5ghz
>no issues

Reee
>>
I oveclock my potato gtx 750 ti for 20 fps more in Overwutch
>>
CPUs can run indefinitely if you just don't turn them off

in fact, they get more reliable the longer you overclock them due to annealing
>>
>>55241780
What the hell is that?
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.