[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there point in running free libre Linux distro next to nonfree
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 2
File: parabola.png (37 KB, 717x411) Image search: [Google]
parabola.png
37 KB, 717x411
Is there point in running free libre Linux distro next to nonfree ones?
I don't want to advocate free software just by talking about how important it is.
But is there really a point when I'm going to install it next to Windows and Arch?
I need Windows for some vidya and software like Photoshop and Sony Vegas, and I need Arch for browsing nonfree sites and vidya mainly.
What would /g/ suggest?
>>
>>55238323
Getting a life
>>
>>55238359
How do you install that?
Is it free libre and open source?
Do I have to spend hours configuring it?
>>
>>55238323
No, unless you're also running libre hardware the point is kind of moot.
>>
>>55238423
Yeah, but libre hardware costs.
I just say about how libre software is important, I'm not actually doing anything about it so I feel guilty.
>>
>>55238423
>running libre hardware on locked-down laws of physics
If it doesn't respect my freedoms, it's a no-go.
>>
>>55238323
basically if you want to play video games or use normie apps then you can't into free software. part of being a freetard is only using your computer for text editors and email.
>>
Less bloat on ancient hardware
>>
>>55238323
I have a dual boot setup with my old Windows 7 and Parabola. I keep the windows partition around in the event that I urgently need to use some windows only software. This rarely ever happens for me, though.
You don't need to use a separate OS just to browse websites. While I'd prefer a site's JS be free, it's a lesser issue imo because it doesn't have the same access to your system as installed software does.
>>
>>55238479
Also, I was lucky in that all my hardware worked fine with the libre drivers, even though i originally built my PC for gaming on windows. The main offenders for drivers not working are wireless network cards and GPUs. If you're not using wireless you just need to check if your GPU is supported by free drivers (like Nouveau for nvidia cards) and if so you'll probably be golden.
>>
No, unless you want the approval of the minority of Stallman dick suckers that browse here.
>>
>>55238469
B-b-but my computer. I want to make use of it.
>>55238479
I might leave Arch installation for vidya and migrate all multimedia to Parabola. What do you think of that?
>>55238505
How can I be sure drivers will work on my hardware? And is Parabola also Arch-like installation or it has GUI?
I mean, i can install Arch in like 30 minutes with download time excluded, but I would still prefer to have GUI installation.
>>
>>55238525
Parabola is basically Arch with different repos that don't contain the nonfree stuff that arch repos do. In fact, you can literally migrate your arch to parabola and not have to worry about installation.
(Apparently 4chan thinks my post is spam for linking parabola wiki...just search "Migration from Arch" on parabola's wiki)

As far as checking if your hardware will work with free drivers, I'd recommend booting Trisquel Live from USB or CD and testing out the drivers from there.
>>
>>55238598
I know that. I've converted Manjaro to Arch when I was too dumb to install Arch back then.
But I still have nonfree software on my current Arch installation like Steam etc.
>>
>>55238323
You do you, man
>>
>>55238625
If you aren't willing to give up all of the nonfree components then you might as well stick to arch and just get rid of as many of your nonfree packages as you can.
>>
>>55238695
I think Steam is the only nonfree app I have. But Arch has nonfree firmware and blobs in kernel.
>>
>>55238728
My God, I've said app instead of software. And usually I find people that use word app to be cancer. Oh well...
>>
>>55238728
You can get the Linux-libre kernel from the AUR if you want to switch that for now. Then whenever you're ready to give up Steam you can do the migration to Parabola. :)
>>
>>55238775
I didn't know that. Thanks for the info. But I was asking if it was ok to have a free-libre distro next to Windows.
Like, am I being a hypocrite then?
>>
>>55238792
No, imo. It's much better to isolate your windows onto another partition or another computer just in case you need it, and use a free distro as your main system, than to just settle for using windows always.
>>
>>55238840
Thank you for your reply, man. Downloading Parabola as we're speaking! :)
>>
Ask someone with a Libreboot X200 running Trisquel anything.
>>
>>55238894
I am one of three Linux users in a radius of 40 kilometers, I don't think anybody has that.
Also, /g/uys, do you know is Parabola installation through CLI or graphical? I really want to know that, and all youtube videos I found were shitty reviews.
>>
>>55238894
What is libreboot like?
I always wanted to try it, but I don't want to brick my pc as I do almost everything from the same machine.
>>
>>55238934
he is using trisquel, not parabola.
But the normal way is to install arch normally, then convert it into parabola.
>>
>>55238954
Sorry, haven't seen it.
Why would you do that when you have Parabola ISO? Also, ISO will download in few secs, will try running it in VM.
>>
>>55238934
I think you can do it both ways. The normal ISO has you install it CLI style like arch. There's a MATE ISO which has a menu-driven installer and comes with the MATE DE. I used the normal one so I can't say how good the MATE one is.
>>
>>55238944
It's quite easy to flash the BIOS in software. I compiled Libreboot and flashed it in about 20 minutes, making sure to read the docs.

I've never tried taking a system and porting it to libreboot from the proprietary BIOS.
>>
>>55238359
He is right you know.
Your home, your food, you PC, you clothes, and almost everything are non free or born from non free. Go live in the woods!
>>
>>55238323
Origin: Chile

fucking dropped
>>
>>55238973
Installing arch is kind of easier than installing Parabola. You just change the repo and the download mirrors from arch to Parabola.
>>
>>55239029
>Your home, your food, you PC, you clothes, and almost everything
Except the 4 freedoms can be applied to those and work.

Freedom 0: The freedom to run the program for any purpose.
Freedom 1: The freedom to study how the program works, and change it to make it do what you wish.
Freedom 2: The freedom to redistribute and make copies so you can help your neighbor.
Freedom 3: The freedom to improve the program, and release your improvements (and modified versions in general) to the public, so that the whole community benefits.
>>
>>55239029
It doesn't matter if something is born nonfree. What matters is if it continues to remain nonfree unless a suitable free alternative can be found.
>>
>>55239072
Assuming US:
The food is IP. You can get a permission to prepare food, but there is restrictions on what you can do with it. (Several farmers have gotten sued from using crops).
This breaks freedom 0, 1, 2 and 3.
Your clothes could be free, but if it is store bought it is most likely patented, so freedom 2 and 3 is broken.
Hardware is filled with patents, so unless you make everything yourself, you will run into issues with freedom 1, 2 and 3.

Things that are "free" is simple things that are so simple that a single person can make them.
>>
>>55238323
>Is there point in running free libre Linux
Aspergers
>>
>>55239232
This guy got it. Free is an illusion. Open source > free.
Plus free software is not economically viable because people are assholes who would just download it freely.
>>
>>55238894
Is your background public domain?
>>
>>55239448
libre software is not equal to free as in free beer software
>get your terms right
>>
>>55239448
>Plus free software is not economically viable because people are assholes who would just download it freely.
It is all about convenience.
Take android.
There is free software which costs money on the play store but you can get the binary from f-droid if you want to.
I don't know if this is enough for these projects to sustain themselves, but some people buy these.
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.