[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
technology thread (OH NO!) I have bought some AA rechargeable
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2
technology thread (OH NO!)

I have bought some AA rechargeable Sony Batteries. I am using it for my 3 xbox360 controllers. I have some questions:

- is it true that they loss charge during time even without using them?
- is it true that you have to put them in the fridge if you want them to keep their charge?
- recommended battery chargers (I have one fast charger from Camelion)
- are AA/AAA a better battery than LiPo batteries found in cellphones/tablets/controllers?

I would like your opinions, /g/entlemen
>>
>>55232426
>is it true that they loss charge during time even without using them?
Conventional NiMHs do lose charge sitting on the shelf. and fairly quickly (in three months they'll be flat) You can get "low self-discharge" NiMHs that do not do this. They're slightly more expensive and have slightly lower capacity. You know you have them if the packaging says "ready to use" or "pre-charged".

>is it true that you have to put them in the fridge if you want them to keep their charge?
A battery in the fridge will self-discharge slower, all else equal, but the difference is not large, and freezing them can damage them (since there's a water-based electrolyte in them). Keeping them cool will not help their lifespan in terms of how many charge/discharge cycles they can withstand before wearing out. Overall, its too much trouble for little gain, don't bother refrigerating batteries.

>recommended battery chargers (I have one fast charger from Camelion)
Maha/Powerex makes some nice ones. Many of which have the nice feature that they charge batteries individually instead of in pairs. The general rule for all chargers is that the faster the charge, the harder it is on the battery, and the fewer charge/discharge cycles you'll get before it dies. Avoid any charger that takes less than an hour to fill a NiMH AA from empty.

>are AA/AAA a better battery than LiPo batteries found in cellphones/tablets/controllers?
They have worse energy density (capacity per unit weight and capacity per unit volume), but I much prefer them to any lithium battery because they're a standard form factor that can be had anywhere and will never be out of production. Also, unlike rechargeable lithium batteries, NiMHs do not wear out with time, only with use. Lithium batteries are shot in five years even if they've never been used. Gadget-makers, of course, view this as a feature, since you have to buy a new gadget. I disagree.
>>
>>55232426
http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/
>>
>is it true that they loss charge during time even without using them?
Yes.

>is it true that you have to put them in the fridge if you want them to keep their charge?
No.

>recommended battery chargers (I have one fast charger from Camelion)
Whichever ones have good reviews.

>are AA/AAA a better battery than LiPo batteries found in cellphones/tablets/controllers?
No.
>>
>>55232513

thank you. Very nice info. I would like to know about personal experiences with /g/entlemen like this >>55232507 and >>55232514

battery thread
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFYA7iYRrdI
>>
>>55232507

excellent tips, anon

it's funny in my country a pair of "pre-charged" AA cost less than a pair of conventional high capacity rechargeable AA. The difference in capacity is small (2500 vs 2100)

well,
>>
>>55232869

what was the point of that?
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.