[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
BSD And Other Things
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1
File: somuchbetter_left.jpg (66 KB, 395x560) Image search: [Google]
somuchbetter_left.jpg
66 KB, 395x560
/bsd/ - *BSD General Thread
Discuss FreeBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD, DragonFlyBSD, FreeNAS...

IRC -- #baot @ irc.rizon.net

News: http://dragonflydigest.com - http://undeadly.org - http://freebsdnews.com

Ask questions, get answers.
>>
Lmao
>>
Been slowly migrating my infrastructure to openbsd.

I haven't found a good way to handle base system updates on many physical servers.

I was thinking, pxe boot a random live image, have to pull a gold image and dd it to the drive, then ansible all the things.
>>
>>55231781
M:Tier has some binary updates, if that's what you mean.
>>
>>55231853
wow, that simplifies things.

Thanks anon.
>>
>>55228531
>Ask questions, get answers.
Anyone working with sysinstall/pc-sysintall?
I want to know how is programmed/scripted.

Any detail is welcome.
>>
>>55231928
You mean bsdinstall? Sysinstall hasn't been in use since around FreeBSD 8, I believe.
>>
>>55232187
What can you tell me about?
>>
>>55232223
https://svnweb.freebsd.org/base/release/9.3.0/usr.sbin/sysinstall/
Seems like it was programmed in C, which is weird because I don't think C programs are supposed to sit in /usr/sbin.
>>
>>55232271
Though interestingly, bsdinstall only seems to be nothing but shell scripts, probably a wiser choice as that makes it easier for non-programmers to customize.
>>
To the anon that was asking about CDE and OpenBSD, I just noticed that CDE has been updated with OpenBSD 5.9 support. The installation guide includes steps to set up the CDE login manager dtlogin. It also covers has information for 6.0 but I don't run -current so I can't vouch for that. But it installed and ran on my 5.9 system without any hiccoughs.
>>
>>55233159
Yeah, CDE was in the openbsd-wip ports tree for a while.

Maybe they'll make it not completely retarded to build some day.
>>
>>55232324
Interesting, can you give me examples of customization? I would like to know how those scripts work.
>>
>>55233166
I never had to do any, but they're on the cvs repo.
https://svnweb.freebsd.org/base/release/10.3.0/usr.sbin/bsdinstall/
You can make it do anything, most likely. Only 3 parts of the installer are still written in C.
>>
>GNU code is so bad that the recent binutils will refuse to compile on OpenBSD
holy shit, is it really surprising that they don't have a newer GCC/binutils after all?
>>
Which BSD is most suitable for an ordinary desktop user? Are any of them?
>>
>>55233472
OpenBSD is the most general purpose of all of them. It actually comes with X and a few WMs.
>>
OpenBSD isn't suitable for watching video, it works fine for other purposes.
>>
>>55233513
They fixed the scheduler in recent versions.
>>
>>55233521
I tested it recently, still bad
>>
>>55233524
Seems like a mixed bag then. I know watching actual videos is OK, it's just HTML5 streaming that suffers.
>>
>>55233513
Which one will let me watch chink cartoons and Youtube? That's mostly what I do on my computer.
>>
>>55233530
I watch video with mpv
vo=opengl-hq:tscale=oversample:interpolation:blend-subtitles
video-sync=display-resample
hwdec=no
fullscreen

For Gentoo this works perfectly, but for OpenBSD it's fucking slow.
>>55233531
FreeBSD is your best bet
>>
>>55233556
Thanks. I remember hearing about PC-BSD years ago. Is it a meme, or would it be a good choice for a retard like me to get started with?
>>
>>55233575
Not him, but PC-BSD was pretty clunky last time I used it. This was years ago, though.
>>
>>55233556
Did you try out -current?
>>
>>55233594
Yes, still a little glitches
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.