[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How hard is it to hack someone's router remotely? How hard
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 4
How hard is it to hack someone's router remotely?

How hard is it to compromise the router's firmware remotely?

How hard it it to infect the router's BIOS remotely?

By remotely I don't mean being in the router's Wi-Fi range. I'm assuming a case where a hacker in Chicago hacks the router of a victim in Los Angeles.

The hacker initially only knows the victim's IP address.

Are these three cases even possible?

If possible, what would be the estimated yearly compensation for a hacker who can manage such a feat?
>>
File: 0.jpg (10 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
0.jpg
10 KB, 480x360
>>55222146
>>
>>55222156
An image does not say anything than that you are a bitter loser who thinks he can be smug to people over the Internet.
>>
>>55222146

> How hard

I don't know what it's hard for you.
It IS possible to do everything you wrote.
It depends of the software the router runs.
It depends of the BIOS updating options the MOBO & OS has (previously you have to get a remote session to the victim's OS ).

So yep, all possible, but I wouldn't say this is a common thing to do if you're not an important person.
>>
File: 1322291780231.jpg (61 KB, 720x951) Image search: [Google]
1322291780231.jpg
61 KB, 720x951
>>55222176
>>
>>55222176
Woah dude you better watch out don't want to hurt yourself with all that edge
>>
File: 1459897887677.png (404 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1459897887677.png
404 KB, 1280x720
>>55222176
>>
>>55222197
I BTFO'd some code guy on an internet forum which he runs (thus can see my ip address) and i think he is doing this to me

how do i secure my router?

does resetting remove infected firmware and BIOS?
>>
You wanna hack your computer lab?
>>
>>55222258

First search online for your Router model and Firmware version and see if there are some published exploits for it.

If he wrote a firmware for your BIOS, you cannot go back while clearing CMOS but you could simply re-flash a BIOS from the webpage of your mobo vendor.

I still think you're overly paranoid, tho. That's not a simple task to do.
>>
>>55222310
he is known to be one of the best security experts in my country
well i guess i have to clean intall my laptops OS and my router's BIOS and firmware at the same time

what gets me is how he managed to it with just my Wi-Fi address only. really got me paranoid and afraid to do anything on my laptop so far
>>
>>55222310
>>55222381
what if it happens again AFTER i clean install router's BIOS and firmware and my laptop's OS. what can i do then? burn my devices and go back to stone age?
>>
>>55222401
Change isp
>>
>>55222381
Anything he did, you can un-do. Unplug the router and reflash the firmware. Once your IP has changed, there's nothing he can do.
>>
>>55222401

1) break your router or go for a 4G plan, and change IP
2) reflash every BIOS on every PC
3) reinstall every OS on every PC you have. normally you should be OK with cellphones
4) I would repeat step 2 after the reinstallation, and maybe step 3 again

You should be free after this
>>
>>55222222
>>
Poo in Loo: the Thread.
>>
>>55222534

I might write sketchy english but I'm no street shitting Pajeet.
>>
If remote login is enabled its just to start cracking
>>
>>55222146
Depends if it has a web interface accesible from the internet or telnet ssh available. If so you could upload custom firmware to it.

Most new routers made now days have gotten more secure, no telnet no ssh lan only web interface etc.

But even they can still be hacked from the LAN side if weak passwords are used.
>>
>>55222381
What country?
>>
>>55222624
Korea
>>55222506
So reinstalling OS won't help me regain my security if the BIOS is infected?
all.this shit is causing too much stress i hope he gets colon cancer and die shitting shit and blood on hospital bed sheets
>>
>>55222715
Yes the bios is independent of an os
>>
>>55222715
Lmao op if it's Korea you are fucked , he can simply track you down again just to fuck you over
>>
>>55222770
i'm googling and it seems a lot harder to flash new BIOS than to install new OS.
>>55222776
how so?
>>
>>55222841
Infected bioses are uncommon but if you are that concerned you better get on it
Also, invest in a VPN after you swap ISPs or whatever
>>
>>55222868
is it actually possible to infect someone BIOS remotely with his IP address as sole information if you are a good hacker?
>>
>>55223062

Nope
>>
>>55222146

It isn't

you can use shodan. I went on just to see and the second FTP server I tried was someones computer's backups.
>>
>>55223780
you mean it is not hard to do so?
>>
S U M M E R
U
M
M
E
R
>>
>>55222258
Why do you think he's doing this to you? What symptoms are you seeing?
>>
>>55224644
mouse moving and clicking on his own
text files containing random words created overnight

basically i instigated people and caused shitstorm and in the end he ended up putting down all google ads on his forum. so he is mad at me.
>>
>>55222146
my husband used to be free with everything and never kept any secret until recently everything changed so i began to suspect some foul play. he chat on phone for long and when he is done chatting he will clear his history so that i will not find anything. this went on for long until one day i decided to notify my friend about this and that was how she introduced me to her cousin who is a hacker. he showed me several other people who he helped crack password to gmail, yahoo, facebook, instagram, whatsapp and even 6 others where he hacked the account of some major corporation. he has the greatest mind because i never believed he could do it until he proved it to me by hacking into my husbands phone where i found so many evidence to proof that my husband had several affairs outside our marriage. well here is his email address if you need his help [email protected]
>>
>>55225256
Install Gentoo, it'll fix all your problems.
>>
>>55222203
>>>55222222
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.