[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Cheap laptop
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1
File: laptop.jpg (7 KB, 243x207) Image search: [Google]
laptop.jpg
7 KB, 243x207
Hi /g, I want to buy a cheap laptop with some good gaming capabilities. What would you recommend? I was thinking about an Asus x550jx, because I have a 4gb memory laying around
>>
Post your thread on /wsr/ and I will help you. Delete this one if you can.
>>
>>55221968
ok, thanks
>>
>>55221947
I bought it last month, pretty good
>>
I'd recommend you fuck off back to /v/
>/g/ is NOT your personal tech support team or personal consumer review site.
>>
I had that one, x550dp. Couldn't really handle cs:go on low settings. The build quality wasn't that great. You can't access the battery easily & the whole thing is pretty much locked down. I'm much happier with my replaced thinkpad.

>gaming
>cheap
>laptop

Pick two and fuck off back to >>/v/
>>
>>55223558
This needs to be in the /g/ sticky at this point
>>
>>55222807
I did too and it's nice. The TN screen could be better and the build quality doesn't seem too durable, also why the fuck is 4GB of the RAM soldered onto the motherboard.

Other than that, the specs are nice, price-to-performance ratio was best I could find and I was looking at used Thinkpads too. Also, not too difficult to take apart, the battery is user-replaceable without having to use screwdriver.

>>55223558
https://www.asus.com/Notebooks/X550DP/specifications/
>AMD
There may be your problem. X550JX has been fine for me.
>>
>>55225180
I have that (X550JX) as well, it arrived last week.

Performance nice, but gets hot really quick when using the GPU. I don't game much, after all, so this is fine. I got the FullHD model which is a lot weird on such a small screen. I set it to 125% upscaling so it feels like retina HD. The hardware itself is pretty locked down and I haven't figured out how to dual boot on UEFI yet.

/blog

If you're still here, care to share your opinion?
>>
>>55225655
I'm not sure what you mean by locked down, the computer is not terribly difficult to take apart (check some youtube videos of disassembling X550 models), the battery and HDD at least are very easy to access, but obviously not as serviceable as Thinkpads or Elitebooks are. I guess maybe CPU or GPU upgrade is impossible or difficult, but isn't that pretty much true for every consumer-grade notebooks nowadays? I guess the soldered RAM is pretty bad though, if upgradeability is very important to you (the general you), ASUS ROG laptops are probably better choice (if it has to be gayming laptop), or any Thinkpad/Elitebook/Probook/Latitude (not good for gaming usually, but can be found used for pretty cheap).

I had to disable Secureboot in the UEFI settings and then was able to install Linux Mint 64-bit. It runs surprisingly well - the biggest surprise was that the Realtek wifi card actually worked this time. On my old laptop, I just couldn't get it working under GNU/Linux, no matter what.

Personally, I kept the scaling at 100%, because at 125% some programs have really bad looking icons and fuzzy text. But I agree, that 1080p feels really odd on this small-screen, my old laptop only had 1366x768 screen.

I haven't had the computer for that long either (couple weeks), so I can't say anything definitive about heating, the highest I've got was about 60C when playing some non-demanding games while having youtube playing in the background (Terraria, Rogue Legacy). Usually for me, it idles around 35-40C and can reach around 50C if watching HD video with tons of tabs, downloads etc open. Do you suspect yours is overheating? What programs did you use to make the GPU hot? I could try some benchmarks to see how hot it gets, if you know any good free ones.

Here is some dude's review of similar model, he says that the highest his GPU went while benchmarking was 71C: http://www.game-debate.com/articles/2781/asus-x550jk-dm034h/asus-x550jx-big-bang-for-the-buck
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.