[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Make this junk work
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
I found a Mac IIe on the street over a year ago, comes with monitor, 2 floppy disk drives the computer a a joystick. I tried plugging it in and turning it on but nothing appears to have happened... Thoughts?
>>
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>55220160
Closer pic of the innards
>>
>>55220160
Put it back in the trash where you found it. Along with your garbage 1136x640 toy phone.
>>
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>55220189
Appears that some of the slots are empty... The rightmost one there has a card with some microprocessors, which is connected to the two disk drives. Am I missing some essential parts here?
>>
You'll probally have to re cap it. Some of the solder joints might have cracked too
>>
>>55220160
Post pictures of the keyboard
>>
File: WhatsApp-Image-20160623.jpg (246 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
WhatsApp-Image-20160623.jpg
246 KB, 1600x1200
>>55220657
The obscured key on the right says "reset"
>>
>>55220160
Does the monitor itself give any sign of life? Try plugging in a normal TV instead. Also try without the drives and joystick.
>>
>>55220892
Nope. Nothing at all makes a sound when I plug them in/turn them on, the slightest sound is made only by the power supply, when I turn it off it starts clicking really lightly and quickly, which slows down and stops really fast.

Maybe the transformer/some of the wiring in the powersupply box is fucked, so that means I'm out of luck... Generally those things are pretty unsafe to tamper with alone.
>>
>>55220979
Maybe some fuse is blown.
>>
>>55220979
Ok, that sound is the switchmode PSUs protection circuit kicking out once mains power has been removed. Something is overtaxing the power supply and triggering its protection circuit, the "click" is the magnetic field of the switching transformer collapsing once AC has been disconnected. Verify this by disconnecting the power supply from the unit and power cycling it. No click this time? Yeah, something on the mainboard is toast.

Dry caps and fractured solder joints will rape you as well.

I would also suggest you move this thread to /diy/. You are currently surrounded by brandslave faggots who wouldn't know a mainboard from a roof shingle, plenty of retroheads over there (myself included) who can help you out. If you don't have a multimeter get one before you start the thread. It will be essential for the troubleshooting you'l need to do.
>>
>>55221078
Thanks for the help. I'm a software engineer so electronics are a tad out of my ballpark but I've got a mate doing elec who has a load of equipment so I guess I can enlist him. Thanks for the advice!
>>
I can answer some questions, but not for a couple of hours.

Bump in the meantime.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.