[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
reasons why linux sucks #405: >go to change mouse settings
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 6
File: 1W48z.jpg (249 KB, 1920x1040) Image search: [Google]
1W48z.jpg
249 KB, 1920x1040
reasons why linux sucks #405:

>go to change mouse settings in control panel
>control panel opens in non-root; doesn't ask for or allow easy path to opening control panel app in root
>any changes I apply will be removed on restart
>no offered documentation on how to get around this
>i now have to go figure this shit out myself instead of just using the fucking laptop

if you think this is acceptable OS behavior in any way, kys.
>>
Works on my machine
>>
>>55217262
you mean why GNOME sucks
>>
>>55217262
>any changes I apply will be removed on restart
You're doing something wrong
Most issues with Linux distros are operator error
>>
File: hackerman.jpg (58 KB, 540x531) Image search: [Google]
hackerman.jpg
58 KB, 540x531
>>55217303

GNOME
>>
What's your point
>>
>>55217323
>operator error
regardless, it is a problem when they can make the error in an environment that is supposed to compete with windows.
I don't know what Canonical/RedHat are doing, but they need better QC.
>>
>>55217262

It's even worse if you don't know if you're using libinput or evdev to handle mouse input
>>
>>55217303
if you are going to be using GNOME in your OS, and you know it's shit, then you should provide workarounds or at least make documentation that's pushed in the user's nose about it, so there's none of this minutes of googling to do one fucking GUI config job bullshit.

i had fucking work to do tonight.
>>
>>55217359
werks on my machine
Linux isn't for idiots, you have to not be afraid of fucking with config files. This will be the case until devs stop fragmenting shit and make more universal standards.
>>
File: 1444053433833.jpg (34 KB, 640x638) Image search: [Google]
1444053433833.jpg
34 KB, 640x638
>Someone actually fell for the Gentoo/Arch meme
You can't make this shit up
>>
all of you defending this shut the fuck up. there is no reason in god's green earth that you should not be asked for root authentication and given root access when you, as a user, are trying to CONFIGURE YOUR USER-SPECIFIC EXPERIENCE WHAT IN THE ACTUAL FUCK
>>
>>55217262
>running linux in 2016

I seriously hope you guys don't do this.
>>
>>55217392
Not all Linux distros use GNOME, you tard. You are bitching about one package that is used by default in what ever distro you chose to use. If you don't like it, install another DE. In most distros it takes 30 fucking seconds plus how ever long it takes to download on your connection.
>>
>>55217415
Linux doesn't have the whole user desktop experience down.
>>
>>55217483
the point is package general for the most part, im not even actually using gnome.

moreover, if you actually have to install a single goddamn thing to configure the base system, the whole project is fucked. don't defend that sort of fucking idiocy; the work, no matter how "simple," should not be on the shoulders of the user if you want to be user-friendly.
>>
File: 1466446115164.jpg (406 KB, 1280x2555) Image search: [Google]
1466446115164.jpg
406 KB, 1280x2555
>>55217359
>but they need better QC
> that is supposed to compete with windows
>implying that's hard
>>
>>55217262
what anime/movie is that?
>>
>>55217527

You CANNOT be serious.
>>
>>55217262
>mouse settings
>root
wtf am I reading. does windows actually require root to change mouse settings?
>>
>>55217665
no, it doesn't. but i respect that linux might want to do that, it's just that it's totally fucking retarded that it gets in the way of this experience.

really a lot of the problems windows has derive from the fact that root access isn't handled the way linux handles it, imho. i'm just fucking bitching about this ridiculous example of how part of an OS was not designed taking that into account.
>>
>>55217681
>linux
>requiring root to change mouse settings
good shitpost
>>
What does the Linux kernel have to do with your graphical mouse settings application?
>>
>control panel
Top kek with ket topping on top

System-wise linuks configuration is done with a shell and a text editor.
You google for how to set such-and-such mouse option to so-and-so in X
then you ooen your terminal emulator, type sudo su, edit a file and run a command, following instructions.
And don't give me that bullshit about it being too hard, about muh blackbox. Nothing at all hard in what I just described.
If you're not willing to use an OS the way it's used, don't use it. Why on earh would you install linuks if what you want is to have Windows behaviour.
>>
>>55217709
Here's an example. I fucking googled 'change mouse acceleration linux' and this appeared.
Now, it ain't hard to open a terminal, git root, look up one of those files, find the relevant line, change it, save, and run one of those commands.
His is how you use linux, fucktard. No need to be a guru either
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Mouse_acceleration
>>
>>55217756
You are the cancer.
>>
>open /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/90-libinput.conf
>add Option "AccelSpeed" "0.1" to the section about pointers
>Done
Was that so hard?
>>
>Go on 4chan
>Want to upload an image
>Takes 5 minutes to find it because there are no thumbnails in the file selector

The Linux TM experience
>>
>>55217961
>not having a general idea where in the directory your image is located
Using your brain is so hard, but if you don't want to, like winbabies, just open the file manager and look for the image there.
>>
>>55217527
>Rakesh Narayanaswamy
why is microsoft going downhill?
>>
>>55217262
reasons why linux sucks #406:

>install nvidia driver
>keyboard stops working
>>
>>55217262

this is why you buy a mac.
>>
>>55217518
>user-friendly

some people don't require the silver spoon and prefer to configure things to their preference. If this is not you then don't use what you can't figure out unless you actually wish to figure it out
>>
>>55217395
He is most likely using ubuntu or mint
>>
>no offered documentation on how to get around this
Pretty much the biggest reason why Linux is unusable.
>>
>>55219743
Yup, absolutely no documentation
>https://wiki.archlinux.org
>https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Main_Page#Documentation_topics
>http://www.tldp.org
>https://www.kernel.org/doc/
Just to give a few
>>
File: angry_pepe.jpg (40 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
angry_pepe.jpg
40 KB, 900x900
>APP
You should probably be using OSX, OP.
>>
>>55217262
>2016
>being this pajeet

I guess that's to be expected.
>>
>>55217262
you're full of shit
linux has no "control panel app"
>>
File: ENOUGH.gif (763 KB, 180x180) Image search: [Google]
ENOUGH.gif
763 KB, 180x180
>>55218003
Come on now, you can't seriously fucking defend this.
>>
>>55217560
>>
On one of our work machines the Ubuntu terminal can't remember the right time. It also overheats the whole machine.

Windows Pos ready just werks
>>
>>55217961
Use Chrome on KDE.
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.