[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>2016 >majoring in computer science I seriously hope you
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 146
Thread images: 10
File: 1458309031841.jpg (341 KB, 1200x1600) Image search: [Google]
1458309031841.jpg
341 KB, 1200x1600
>2016
>majoring in computer science

I seriously hope you people don't do this.
>>
>>55214127
>2011+7-2
>not

I seriously hope you people don't do this.
>>
>>55214127
is cse acceptable?
>>
You can't stop me.
>>
But... I can give you the runtime of an algorithm in big-oh notation! Give me money.
>>
>>55214127
CS is my side major
>>
I wish I did Network Engineering or just did CISCO certs.
>>
File: 1466424827743.jpg (116 KB, 469x469) Image search: [Google]
1466424827743.jpg
116 KB, 469x469
>tfw I fell for the CE meme
>>
>>55214127
you needed to get into it earlier, op
there's too much competition to hope other people stay out now
>>
>>55214127
Boy those are some big ass irises
>>
>>55214127

>mfw fell for the CS meme

I'm unemployed NOOOO
>>
>>55214358
photoshop retard
>>
how does one even make money nowadays

seriously, what is left
>>
don't worry OP, i studied something pragmatically useful (anthropology).
>>
>>55214369
But why would someone photoshop irises to be larger, especially in a shot with such sub-par lighting anyway? What do they have to gain?
>>
>>55214655
are you seriously going to tell us that this can't be photoshopped because it would be tasteless?
>>
>>55214776
>tasteless
I never said that, I'm just mystified why someone would look at an obviously non-professional photo and say "you know what that girl needs? Bigger irises. Yeah, that's hot"
>>
>>55214127
Alredy started mine, someone needs to repel the pajeets, you know?
>>
>>55214623

Cardinal Rule: do not listen to /g/ for education or employment advice
>>
>>55214347

CS is super early in it's respective history. This is stupid. Obviously, everything would be great to get in on the ground floor, but it is super myopic. I can see the push for more CS people as an industry initiative to devalue the average developer. However there are countless niches in which you can find employ. If you can't figure out what to do or where to do it, it isn't the degrees fault. Probably, if you want to be anything, you should get the fuck off of /g/ because few people actually know anything here.
>>
>>55214809
That's why I became NEET. /g/'s not gonna fool me with the latest meme degree/job.
>>
>>55214796
not photoshop. they're contacts
>>
as a TA for CS classes at a large school, most people don't belong in CS. Sure they may be able to do the basics, but at a certain point one must become passionate if they truly want to understand it.
>>
>>55214850
you show 'em aneet
>>
>>55214127
Joke's on you, I graduated in 2015

>>55214147
I gave your mom a big-oh
>>
What's the difference between computer engineering, software engineering, and computer science? Is one superior to the others?
>>
File: more-jobs-than-students.png (154 KB, 1771x1048) Image search: [Google]
more-jobs-than-students.png
154 KB, 1771x1048
B-BUT GUYS, WHAT ABOUT THIS GRAPH?!
>>
>>55214623
Lawyer

Half the country could literally be on fire. So long as the other half has laws and enforces them, there will be a need for lawyers.
>>
>>55214127
Doesn't she know pigeons carry all kind of serious diseases?
>>
>>55214965
Unless you go to a top 14 law school you're FUCKED and have to compete with 10,000 applicants on average for an unpaid internship
>>
>>55214623
It's going to be more and more difficult as computer and automation gets better. In future most jobs can be done by machines.
>>
should i do computer science 1 or network fundamentals?
>>
>>55214947
epistemologically? check wikipedia.
practically speaking? look at the curricula at your university.

i work in silicon valley and i would only keep an eye out for something that mentions computers, science, engineering, etc...

if they have that, i'll glance at the courses they've taken to see if they seem rigorous or stupid (i've seen people study CS and list stuff like intro to data visualization as especially relevant coursework. it doesn't inspire confidence when that's what you lead with).
>>
>>55214947
superiority is subjective
software engineering is more concerned with the composition of software
ce is p much how software interacts with hardware
cs is how programs/software work and are designed
>>
>>55214961
Is accurate
>>
>tfw just graduated informatics UW
>cute grils and socially adjusted people in the major and less neckbeards
>already landed 6 figure software engineering job at cisco
>tfw CS is a meme and way more competitive when you can get similar jobs with info with less bs to wade through in the curriculum
and whaddaya know now more shitters are applying for info
>>
>>55214987

Been there.

I won that competition by bringing a chocolate cake to a small shitty PD office unannounced.

If you actually have recruiters contacting you, you're pretty damn well off.
>>
>>55215003
which one is the easiest to find work with.

and where does >>55215001

networking fit into this?
>>
>>55214961
What does that have to do with what OP said?
Students aren't the only ones practicing in CS. It's just the only variable that's quantifiable.
>>
>>55215130

But why would code.org misinterpret information like that?
>>
>>55215107
It depends on what you want to do. If you want to implement AIs, you probably shouldn't do computer engineering. but your university might have a retarded nomenclature for these majors, and CE might actually be pretty hands on with AI and that shit. it's unlikely, but given that CS and its related fields are all over the place in academia (sometimes in the same school as the math department, sometimes in the same school as engineering, sometimes in its own school, etc...) it's hard to say.

i really mean it when i say that you should look at the curriculum of the major you're thinking about. if you're not sure, then find someone who's doing what you want to do, and email them to see if the courses you're looking at seem like they would prepare you for the work they do.

i swear to god that's what i did - i emailed some random guy at twitter to ask about user research/data science stuff, asked what skills he thought were relevant/important/what he wished he learned (or maybe learned *earlier*), and what he thought was on the horizon in terms of useful skills. he came back with a list of good pointers that helped inform my course decisions.
>>
>>55214961
Pajeetland has pajeetfactory pumping out pajeets to fill the left over and take the other jobs too
>>
>>55214127
Do what ever you like, I personally prefer a focus on hardware so I picked Computer Engineering. Don't listen to /g/ memes and decide for yourselves. I hope none of you NEETS actually believe any of the hearsay on this board.
>>
>>55214127
>be a mathematician
>can easily pivot into physics, finance, economics, computer science, or any number of other fields, or just stay in research
>all internships and employers see my strong knowledge in mathematics and logic as well as the ability to apply it towards domain-specific knowledge learned on site as a huge boon
>maintain knowledge of programming as a useful, enjoyable, and productivity-enhancing skill which goes alongside my mathematics but do not bill or advertise myself as a programmer, no need to compete with code monkeys for shitty webdev jobs
Go into computer science if you genuinely enjoy learning about the science of computation. Learn how to program if you like it, and, more importantly, learn how to apply it to work you actually want to do. Programming is a useful skill, but it shouldn't be your only skill, and you shouldn't try and get a career in it unless you want to compete for bottom-of-the-barrel scraps with other programmers. The field is over saturated and the workers are split between overqualified students who don't know how to apply or use their knowledge outside of school projects that will want pay beyond what they're worth and jump ship the second a cool sounding startup comes along and under qualified php codemonkeys that will work for minimum wage.
>>
Is it bad that I want to be IT because I like fixing computers. Even though most problems can be solved with google
>>
Is 26 too old to get a degree in computer science?
>>
>>55215362
why would it be bad?
>>
>>55215368
what would 26 not be too old for a degree in?

presumably you're deciding what to go into, right?

so what other options are you eyeing that look so much more persuasive than CS?
>>
>>55215368

No you can be pretty much any age, you just need to cough up or make up legit IT work experience on a resume.
>>
>>55214369
Contacts actually, they're pretty popular among weebs and japan freaks.
>>
>>55214127
Worst decision I've ever made honestly. The job market is absolutely saturated, volatile and you can be fired in a split second over issues completely out of your control.

If I had to do it all over again I would have gone to trade school and been a plumber or something. That's not a joke. I loved programming as a kid and took college courses in high school because I loved software and hardware and genuinely enjoyed spending hours fiddling with code.

Go into comp sci if you must, but be prepared to get kicked in teeth repeatedly. Get a real job with good benefits instead and save yourself the headache
>>
>>55215130
Please think before youpost
>>
Look guys, this is how a loser who was not good enough to work in IT talks: >>55215942
>>
>>55215942

did you get an AA or BA degree?
>>
>>55215060
>I won that competition by bringing a chocolate cake to a small shitty PD office unannounced
you literally walked in with a chocolate cake and asked for a job?
>>
>>55215942
have you tried to git gud?
>>
>>55215189
can you post that list?
>>
File: 1.64 MB.jpg (2 MB, 2848x4288) Image search: [Google]
1.64 MB.jpg
2 MB, 2848x4288
>>55214127
>spend your entire adult life pursuing interests related to technology and espousing its benefits
>attempt to make your living through it
>come to the conclusion in your 30s that you actually hate computer technology and it is an evil force and should have spent your time on other things
>realize you still have to live in a world where technology is now worshiped by the masses that once sneered at it, and you are the one who wants it to all be destroyed

Almost feels like a Twilight Zone episode sometimes these days
>>
>>55214127
How about computer networking?
>>
>>55214127
Who is this semen demon?
>>
>>55216752

they're called pigeons, anon
>>
>>55216586
I know this feel. I wish I was a plumber or something.
>>
>>55214966

Don't you know that humans carry all kinds of serious diseases?
>>
>>55216518
How do you think you get a job? You generally have to ask for one
>>
>>55215248

Not when the God Emperor Trump takes over. Then all burgers will fill the jobs.
>>
>>55217139

alternatively, nepotism
>>
>>55217167
except for the assburgers
>>
>Paying money to the college jew for an education you could have gotten for free online.
>>
File: 1464920874377.png (170 KB, 497x383) Image search: [Google]
1464920874377.png
170 KB, 497x383
To be honest I think that falling for the CS meme is an okay route because it sets you up for multiple avenues, if you're willing to consider stuff outside of plan A. People are always hiring technicians.
>>
employed as a developer right now, but starting my CE degree in a few months if i manage to get accepted
the company was nice enough to let me work part time while i study too, shit will be great
>>
>>55214127
>majoring in anything

lel, I'm not going to waste any second more in school after making Engineer's degree

inb4 non-Bologna system education wooba-dooba-dub-dub meme educational stages
>>
>listening to /g/'s employment/education advice
>ever
yeah, dont do that
>>
>>55216568
the gist was to learn R, some "glue" language to kludge things together (he suggested python and i went with that since i already knew a bit of it), map/reduce approaches to big tasks, but hugely it was to really learn statistics. he suggested:
>Elements of Statistical Learning by Hastie, Tibshirani, Friedman
>or
>Pattern Recognition and Machine Learning by Bishop
but i suspect there are other books to choose from now (it's been 4 years and ML is bigger now). i went with Bishop's book, since it was more relevant to me.

to get yourself into the mentality of what kind of work is involved, he got me started thinking about what are essentially research questions (e.g. "user growth and retention, developing models of user behavior, etc...") and operationalizing those questions in some way.

so it's one thing to ask whether users are more or less engaged. that question by itself isn't measurable. you have to think about how you might measure engagement, what merits various methods have over others (there's no one right way, and some are good in some circumstances but bad in others).

i don't feel comfortable posting the text as is, because he sent it just to me (as far as i know) and if i were in his position, i wouldn't want recipients to go screenshotting/sharing my correspondence with them. sorry (but really a lot of it is a little dated now because it was from back in 2012).
>>
>>55214127
Who is this semen demon?
>>
>>55214839
They've already done that with the street shitters they bring in with diploma mill degrees. You can hardly get any computer-related job any more.
>>
>>55216586
>>55217035
>>55215942
>iktf

Decent resume and all. Never once heard back from an internship. Goddamn it, I need to do better.
>>
>>55219089
>YOU can hardly get any computer-related job any more
fixed it, and its not your degrees fault
maybe if you get out of your basement every once in a while and stop playing the blame game on somebody else
>>
I'm majoring in Biology
Kill me.
>>
>>55214127
>feeding pigeons
what a dumbass
>>
>>55219170
>caring about people feeding pigeons
hoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooly shit
>>
>>55214127
>Suicide Silence
not qt but nice taste in music, edgy music
>>
>>55219165
at least you have girls
im in CE and the stats are 20 males for every female
>>
>>55214920
>I gave your mom a big-oh
a what
>>
>>55219206
she's probably the average listener
>>
>>55219182
> not caring about people feeding flying rats
It's like Middle Ages all again.
>>
File: image.png (240 KB, 935x720) Image search: [Google]
image.png
240 KB, 935x720
>>55219578
>dating girls from your major/classes
>>
>>pursuing any kind of degree in the USA.
you'll just be replaced by someone willing to do the job for less at this point.
>>
>>55221017
no but the girls from your class bring friends that are fair game
and those girls in turn have their own friends, its called networking anon

fuck, no one even tries to party with CE because its a total sausage fest
>>
>>55215003
What about Informatics? That's the computer science equivalent in my country, and we have computer engineering from the engineering schools.
>>
>>55216586
Lol this is me
>>
CS is fine if you go to a decent uni/college with some prestige.
>>
>>55214127
getting my masters in cs in a month.
Not in usa, so I'm good.
>>
>>55214127
I goto a no-name uni with a tiny cs department. I'm a senior with a 2.3. I did piss-poor in class because I always forgot assignments, I'm at least a mid-range programmer; can do website front/backends, hardware, networks, oop, script, engineering 'programming,' etc.

I'm at a summer internship for $19 / hour somewhere with very low cost of living. they want to hire me when I graduate. I found the job on indeed, not through the school. From what I see on job sites, companies are just begging for Cs/Ce people all across my state.
>>
>tfw fell for the CS meme in 2013
>tfw realized this year that I'm more interested in CE
>tfw it's too late to turn back
>tfw will probably end up getting a meme job developing shit like Java or web crap

It sucks, but I can always study stuff that interest me on the side.
>>
>>55214127
Nigga please. I majored in pure maths.

At least I managed to find a comfy coding job.
>>
What about computer engineering?
>>
>>55214137
>2^11 - 2^5
>using non powers of two to express $CURRENT_YEAR
>>
>>55223190
>0000011111100000
>not writing all your numbers in base 2 bit format
>>
>>55219578
Girls from Biology are one of the worst humans I've ever seen.
>>
I'm probably going to go for a sysamin career, but I still want to take CS stuff
>>
>>55223247
This. Worst of the STEM attracts the worst.
>>
I just graduated with a B.S. in Computer Science. Granted, I never wanted to major in it in the first place, and I actually suck at programming. But here I am.
>>
>>55223374
The important question is, do you have a job?
>>
>>55223388
Yeah, I commissioned as an officer in the Navy. Start flight school in November. The pay is pretty decent as an O-1, especially being single. Should be making around 100k in about 4 years, and I get to fly so I'd say my life is pretty good.
>>
>>55223441
Sick, nice going.

I've always wanted to try something like that, but my vision is so awful even with corrected lenses that I know I would fail any physical aptness test.
>>
>>55214127
>OP is mad he failed CS
>not shitposting on /g/

BAHWHAHAHAHAHAHA
AGHHAHAHAAHAHAHAHHAA
HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHAHAAAAAHAAHH!!
>>
>>55221017
What anime is that from?
>>
>>55223603
/thread
>>
>>55214187
....So your minor?
>>
>>55214127
One of the most russian pictures i ever saw. That girls face just tells it all.
>>
>>55223499
I had 20/200. Had to get Lasik so I could pass the flight physical. Now I have 20/12
>>
>>55215248
the annual quota for H1B visas is 65000.
>>
>>55217167
>God Emperor Trump
authoritarian scum.
>>
>>55223815
>65000
That's a pretty big number, you might not think so if you're judging it per capita, but compared to how many jobs that are in the market, it's pretty big.
>>
>go to shitty state school
>learn javascript with khanacademy
>can do this without going thousands in debt
>leave school
>cant find jobs in shitty state with no tech jobs
>cant pay for certs

what do
>>
>>55214127
majoring in IT lol

there will always be helpdesk work so i'm good
>>
>>55223441
>navy officers making 100k
Get your bait out of here>>55223499
>>
>>55224589
Pajeets going to be on your ass
>>
>>55224623
https://www.glassdoor.com/Salary/US-Navy-Pilot-Salaries-E41451_D_KO8,13.htm

Get fucked kid. Pilots and nukes make decent money. You are probably not accounting for BHA pay. You get your salary, but you also get a housing allowance that depends on where you live. LTs can definitely make 100k.
>>
OP, I'm raking in 150k a year with 100k of stock on top of that and I'm not even 30 yet, why would you dissuade someone from this potential upside?
>>
>>55221081
I study CS but I talk to girls from medicine, language, biotech, etc. because I go to places where there are girls.
Not that hard.
>>
>>55215346
This. The only reason I'm majoring in CS is because I live the theory and maths behind it. Good jobs are a side benefit desu.
>>
>>55214127
I'm in love
>>
>>55225003
that's because you fall in love with every girl you see, faggot
>>
>>55223880
those visas aren't just for cs jobs you know.
>>
>>55225048
Nah man , she has a torn up soul just like me
>>
cs is the past, the present and the future, you fucking faggot that couldn't get past exams
>>
File: ElmJZAw.png (129 KB, 186x264) Image search: [Google]
ElmJZAw.png
129 KB, 186x264
>>55225090
>>
>>55216586
so it took you 30 years to realize that you're a retard?
>>
File: Screenshot_20160623-231440.png (2 MB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160623-231440.png
2 MB, 1080x1920
>>55225273
Try again faggot
>>
File: 1464677854207.png (761 KB, 495x657) Image search: [Google]
1464677854207.png
761 KB, 495x657
>>55225368
>need for speed underground music
I'm sure your soul has been stepped on and ripped in half friend
She is cute tho
>>
>>55225404
Shit gets me pumped when I train,
you've got a good eye m8
>>
>dating females
It's like you want your life to be ruined
>>
>>55226226
what about females with penises?
>>
>>55214127
Cool thread, OP ;)

Sent from my comfy chair and my cushy and well-paying full-time job I got thanks in part to my CS degree
>>
>>55214961
Hmm, that's a pretty nice graphic. Very catchy and professional. It's almost as if it was pumped out by some business's PR department, looking to get cheaper labor...

Good thing they would never mislead the public.
>>
>>55226264
Absolute degeneracy
>>
>tfw you fell for the CS meme
>twice
>>
>>55214965
Last time they made local statistics in the city, around 80 people were educated, unemployed lawyers. 35k city. Higher number were only uneducated people.
>>
I was failing my math classes so I switched over to information systems.

Hope I didn't make a mistake.
>>
>>55214327
hi zach
>>
>>55214147
If you can't, you have no business doing any programming
>>
>>55226378
This. It's a plot to lower the pay of computerfags.
>>
>>55226568
lmfao
>>
>>55215152
Two possible, non-mutually exclusive reasons.

First, more CS students could drive salaries down in the industry.

Second, the more people who would study other things that go into CS instead, the more legitimately prodigious people will be working in CS. We don't really need a push to get more code monkeys, but if more legitimately smart students go into CS, they can do more field-advancing research.
>>
>>55215038
>UW
Fuck you I got stuck at UF
Thread replies: 146
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.