[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
should i buy a gaming laptop? and how do they compete with desktops?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4
should i buy a gaming laptop? and how do they compete with desktops?
pic not related
>>
>>55207489
They really can't compete with high end desktops.
$1300 gaming laptops can compete with $500 gaming PCs but you get portability, built in screen, etc... You know what you're getting into.

If you want moderate gaming capabilities with portability then get one. If you're just going to use it to shitpost on 4chan in your room then build a PC.
>>
No, they can't compete.

I'm a tech retard and even I know you only buy a 'gaming' laptop if:
You can't assemble it custom yourself.
You move around a lot, such as a student and want to keep your shit together and ready to move, fast, but as a student there's better, more pressing shit to drop 800-1300 dollars on.
You like to collect rice laptops.
>>
File: 9-11.jpg (61 KB, 640x433) Image search: [Google]
9-11.jpg
61 KB, 640x433
The potato is a starchy, tuberous crop from the perennial nightshade Solanum tuberosum L. The word "potato" may refer either to the plant itself or to the edible tuber.[2] In the Andes, where the species is indigenous, there are some other closely related cultivated potato species. Potatoes were introduced outside the Andes region approximately four centuries ago,[3]
>>
I've bought a ROG, and am quite satisfied with it.

Whether it will satisfy your needs will depend on what you want to do with it.
I'm not a hardcore gamer, and usually only play games that are 1-2 years old (for example, Dark Souls 2 and Civ 5 run perfectly well on it), and old games on emulators (N64, PS2, even Wii).

I didn't bought it for playing game, but for other reasons:
- screen quality (matte screen)
- robustness (lasts for 4/5 years instead of 2/3 years for lesser laptops)
- performance (will still be okay performance wise even in 2/3 years)
- style (the screen forward position, a quality keyboard)

And yes it might not compete with desktops, but it's mobile. I'm not a hardcore gamer, I'm a mobile lightweight gamer. And I prefer having a very good gamer laptop that lasts 4/5 years instead of a standard and lesser laptop for 2/3 years or a desktop that is a hassle to move (and I move a lot).
>>
>>55207489
what is the best bang for buck gaming laptop? I need an i7 16gb ram ssd laptop for work and I figured I may as well buy a gaming one. my top picks so far are lenovo y700 and y70-50.
>>
File: 1435093712682.jpg (26 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
1435093712682.jpg
26 KB, 600x450
No,unless portability is really that important to you over price,my little bro's $600 PC beats a $1k gaming laptop with basically the same GPU in it.
>>
I bought an ASUS ROG second hand about a year ago. I decided on a gaming laptop because I needed decent grunt and portability, because I work with freelance filmmakers and we tend to move around a lot. Also, I couldn't afford an rMBP at the time (have bought one since, it has been a lot better for video / photography / music production). I wanted to game a little bit too (mainly just age of empires, but some fallout, bioshook, etc too), so at the time, a gaming laptop was the best option.

The experience was mixed; the hardware represented decent value because I bought used. It still performs well today, and is a pretty serviceable gaming machine: core i7, 8GB DDR3, 2× 500GB HDD, 2GB GPU (the Mac, although lower specced, is much faster at things like video rendering and booting though), and I still use it to game today. The biggest problem I encountered was an endless cycle of "Machine Check Exception" errors at boot up, which I later found out was a problem with some Windows 10 releases messing with the graphics drivers and stuff. It was frustrating every time it happened, but it seems to be stable now.

In conclusion, I would consider what you want it for: If you're rich / wasteful, a gaming desktop and cheapo backup notebook like a Think pad might be best. If you intend to go to your friends for LAN parties, or don't want to own a bunch of extra hardware you're not getting the full use out of, yeah I'd say go for the gaming laptop. If you're doing any sort of media production, or if stability is your priority, sack both and get a used Macbook, but if gaming is your priority, I envy your level of free time, but defiantly don't get the Mac.
>>
>>55208158
Don't buy Lenovo shit!
>>
>>55207489
I had one. All it did was make me miss the performance I didn't have on my desktop and hate the shitty battery life.

Better off buying a thinkpad like /g/ memes you to that will have actual good battery life. If you need gaming power on the go then look into external gpu enclosures and see that you get a laptop with a thunderbolt connector.
>>
>>55207489
Wait for 1080 lappys
>>
I know it's not a top of the line machine but my Inspiron 17r se is easily powerful enough to play any game I want on medium settings
>>
>>55207534
this is exactly it. I've had gaymen laptops and desktops and ultrabooks and everything in between. during times that I need power for work or games on the move, they are very convenient. they are not nearly as valuable in specs/$ or mobility compared to the others, but it's a good in between ONLY IF YOU NEED IT

the rest of g will get extremely rustled about it because they don't have friends or go anywhere
>>
>>55207489
Anything that has gaming in the title is shit.
>>
File: speccy - jordan.png (58 KB, 843x717) Image search: [Google]
speccy - jordan.png
58 KB, 843x717
Price:performance compared to desktops is not great but for a machine I use to post on 4chan in bed it's fantastic.

It really depends on what you need from your machine. For me the price tag was great, but if you only care about having the fastest rig possible you'll get more for less with a desktop
>>
>>55207489
Y50's are decent imo.
Still the 800€ model compares to a 600€ desktop.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.