[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Vertical mouse or trackball mouse? What does /g/ prefer?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 10
File: vm4.jpg (38 KB, 400x322) Image search: [Google]
vm4.jpg
38 KB, 400x322
Vertical mouse or trackball mouse? What does /g/ prefer?
>>
I can't imagine any reason that someone would use a trackball.
>>
File: image.jpg (29 KB, 500x330) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
29 KB, 500x330
>>55198583
Combine them for the ultimate pointing device.
>>
>>55198598
They're not uncommon among people who have computer interests beyond video gaymes.
>>
>>55198612
An optical mouse is better in every single way.
>>
>>55198598
because the mouse doesn't need to physically move around your desk.

pretty good for places with not enough room to move a mouse, or bad surfaces for sensors like upholstery or carpet.

I use one on my keyboard studio (piano keyboard). there is just enough room on top of the keyboard for a mouse to rest stationary, not enough to move it. and no other good place for a mouse. thus a trackball is perfect, where a normal mouse would not have worked at all

I also have another for my htpc, for couch surfing. the trackball mouse works fine on couch cushions, the floor, my leg, you name it. a trackpad is the more typical solution for this issue but I find the trackball faster

also with a trackball mouse you can "throw" the cursor in any direction, stopping it again whenever you want or letting it slow to a stop on its own. you can't mimic this mouse movement with either a standard mouse or a trackpad. this gesture is also fairly popular due to touchscreen interfaces, where its operates like a flicking gesture for speed scrolling or whatever
>>
File: 1181242120115.jpg (21 KB, 220x320) Image search: [Google]
1181242120115.jpg
21 KB, 220x320
>>55198745
>all that nostalgia flooding in
>>
>>55198583
I bought one of these at one point. Bloody expensive, doesn't work well.

The problem is that when you shift your hand's weight to like in OP's picture, it becomes really awkward to move the mouse around. Takes way more effort and less precise. I play RTS competitively so that shit just didn't fly.

Also the actual mouse looked cheapass and the plastic didn't feel nice in the hand.
>>
>>55198583
im starting to get carpel tunnel do vert mouses help?
>>
>>55198745
I wouldn't use touchscreens as an example of good design or ergonomics.
>>
File: 1466117217544.jpg (34 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1466117217544.jpg
34 KB, 500x500
>>55198583
That mouse looks like a fucking tumor. Is it any good?
>>
File: SSK2_p3.jpg (31 KB, 474x342) Image search: [Google]
SSK2_p3.jpg
31 KB, 474x342
If only someone would come up with a keyboard that had a pointing device built-in.
>>
>>55198745
>pretty good for places with not enough room to move a mouse
I just move my optical mouse around with my fingers. My wrist stays in one place.
>>
>>55198867
I just tested and I use it better just sitting on my leg than any trackball.
>>
>>55198807
neither would I. I'm just saying the flicking gesture is really common and trackball mice can do it. the average mouse can try to approximate it with a good scroll wheel but thats honestly just a cheap approximation of what the trackball does,its restricted to one vertical axis. think about how much you use the scroll wheel, think about how much better it would be if it were an entire scroll ball and it can also move the pointer.

after using a trackball for years, using a standard bottom sensor mouse feel so primitive. you have to scoot that shit around the table, sometimes you have to pick it up and start in a new spot because you run out of space. trackball movement is just a finger flick away

it even works out better in basic physics. you cant just bump your regular mouse across the mousepad and expect to land the cursor near your target. you have to manipulate the mouse for the entire duration of its travel, a trackball just takes one flick and the mouse moves across the screen landing damn close to where I aimed it (with lots of practice), I even have enough time to line up a follow up flick to change the direction of ball rotation while its still moving. its just a better system

I do not think it helps at all with carpel tunnel. it hasn't been an issue with me but I dont find it any more or less painful than a regular mouse. both are pain free. i do find the trackball to be the superior performer though
>>
If mouse manufacturers would make mice with less than 12 pounds of trigger pull (not an exaggeration) then there would be no need for vertical mice. The reason that vertical mice are made is to give the fingers better leverage to push mouse buttons that are way too stiff.
>>
>>55198882
there is no way you just tested that
>>
>>55198835
?
>>
File: 1456447572777.jpg (20 KB, 456x456) Image search: [Google]
1456447572777.jpg
20 KB, 456x456
>>55198599
where can I get one?
>>
>>55199008

What is the point of that? Its got the same footprint as a traditional setup and it has cheap chiclet keys.
>>
File: logitech-m570.jpg (162 KB, 450x902) Image search: [Google]
logitech-m570.jpg
162 KB, 450x902
I have pic related. Still using the same AA battery it came with when I bought it 6 months ago. I have this for anything non gaming related. Super comfy.
>>
>>55199037
I assume so you just plug in one of the USB receivers and get a keyboard and trackpad in one kit. I've seen it - or something like it - used several times, and it looks pretty cool. I considered one for my media PC, but I've got a 2-in-1 wireless keyboard and mouse thing that works pretty well.
>>
>>55199037
Home theater PCs. My dad has the cheap version of that. Was only $30 and is about the size of a ten keyless keyboard.
>>
Normal, optical mouse for desktop, this thing for laptop and TV.
>>
>>55199037
for using from a sofa with a big screen tv. no wires
having the keyboard and a pointer in one unit means they can't get seperated and make the thing unusable. also you can use it on your lap
>>
>>55199078
>>55199057
>>55199051

A remote or Kore would be easier unless you search for alot of things. A full sized computer for home entertainment is way overkill now that a little android box can handle everything with 1/10th the power consumption.
>>
>>55198583
The only one i can stand, and use daily is the m570 track ball

Can't shit on Vert mice- never used them
>>
>>55199113
Probably, but I'm too lazy to set up a server or something. I have a teeny weeny mITX box next to my TV with cables stashed away behind out of sight and a 2TB (soon to be 8TB) drive that holds everything I could ever need, entertainment-wise. It takes up bugger all room and was way better than continuously hooking and unhooking my laptop.
>>
>>55199113
They also work for Smart TVs just by plugging into their USB ports like a normal PC.

And personally I don't care about power consumption. Some underpowered android crap box, or an itx build using a 25w quad core that is full x86 and allows full OS capabilities.

Or even an intel NUC is good.And remotes are worthless compared to a full keyboard.
>>
>>55199143

You don't need a server, just buy something to bridge your network to your harddrive. Or get an android box that connects over wifi, plug your harddrive into your router and access it that way.
>>
>>55198745
How much did the trackball association pay you for this?
>>
>>55199185
I guess. I dunno, I'm happy with my current setup and that's all that matters. I even went overboard with some parts, considering it's a stupid media PC, but I still rolled in at around $200AUD, give or take.

If it shits itself (which I hope it doesn't, because I haven't backed up everything that's on there), I'll evaluate other options. Until then, I'll stick with what works.
>>
>>55199113
why would a full sized computer for home entertainment by way overkill?

in my mind the only difference between a HTPC and desktop pc is the size of the screen and type of seating. I would never settle for an android box as a desktop computer. why should I for a home theater computer? how is it supposed to play modern games or use any modern software? i do 4k gaming, 4k movie watching, streaming from netflix and youtube, browse the internet with 40+ tabs open. I can't fathom why you would want your living room pc to be so much less useful than a desktop pc
>>
This is a test meme.

>inb4 your ip range is not allowed to post
>>
>>55199190
its just years of experience talking. optical mice work fine, and software evens out most of the kinks in both mice systems through acceleration and shit like that. but a trackball mouse has some real advantages that i've already pointed out.

I would say its biggest disadvantage is that the majority of people will struggle when they try to use it. its pretty obvious how it works, but they just dont have those motor skills worked out yet. There is a pretty long adjustment period until it becomes second nature.

But for me I could care less how easy my computer is to use for other people. in fact its probably better that they dont like using it
>>
>>55199231

>4k gaming

lol. You almost had me.
>>
>>55198599
Damn fine product that should really still be made these days
>>
>>55199037
memes
>>
>>55198612
I begged for my first trackball because I read somewhere it's an ultimate pointing device for shooters.
>>
>>55199030
Ebay for like $200.

Microsoft stopped making them more than a decade ago, no Chinese company has made knock-offs.
>>
Fuck it, just bought a trackball mouse.
>>
>>55200504
which one?
>>
>>55200669
Logitech M570
>>
>>55198583
Just got the mouse you posted, it's pretty legit. Normal mice fell really uncomfortable now.
>>
File: download.jpg (6 KB, 322x157) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
6 KB, 322x157
anyone consider this thing?
>>
you faggots are the kind of people who bring these broken ass pieces of shit 1990s track balls into my shop to get fixed
we tell you to fuck right off
along with the thinkfags who run linux and don't know how to use it
>>
>>55200801
just buy a lap table and a keyboard and mouse and save yourself a few hundred dollars
>>
>>55200903
kill yourself
>>
>>55200504
You got memed on hard. Trackballs are garbage.
>>
>>55198583
trackballs are for people who want a proper mouse but have a various limitation of sorts or maybe they just wanna be comfy

vertical mice are for pseudo hipsters who don't understand how input devices work while having no tangible benefit over the others

/thread
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.