[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Win7 Repository-->Win10-->Reinstall Win10
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2
File: Capture.png (49 KB, 795x514) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
49 KB, 795x514
So I had Win7 installed via the loader method and at some point, not even sure when or how it went down, but it updated to Win10.

Anyway, now I'm wanting to do a fresh install (I've done this periodically every two years or so, or whenever I get a lot of new hardware at once) and am worried about it because of the way I had acquired Windows.

Can't find guides/threads about this anywhere. Am I safe to just grab a bootable for Windows 10, say install (wiping my C: SSD in the process) or is it not going to work. From what I've gathered, Microsoft registers your hardware with their server with Win10, so I guess since I've been running it for about a year now and it thinks its legit I should be fine.

Is there another method to doing this (getting a fresh install, clean slate everything except one of my other drives where I keep photos, etc)?
>>
>>55183213
just copy your users directory to a backup then fresh install windows and wipe everything
itll only affect the partition that windows is installed on so all your other drives are fine

either that or install gentoo
>>
>>55183284
No I got what I want backed up, what I'm asking about is weather or not Windows on the new install is going to stay activated since it's already activated now (which if I'm understanding correctly means I'm hardware ID'd okay by Microsoft) or am I going to end up with an unregistered install and either need to find a new method for Win10 (which I haven't looked around for yet) or I guess worst case scenario I can downgrade to Win7 and then upgrade again after.
>>
>>55183314
your keys get wiped
pretty much every iso torrent for windows 10 comes with a preinstalled key
>>
>>55183213
If the installation was made within the last 30 days, there's an option in the recovery section of the settings menu and it should revert everything back to the way it was before it forced an upgrade. If not, and don't quote me on this seeing as I downgraded back to 8.1 after the 30 day window not 7, but you should be able to use your old product key without issues.
>>
>>55183213
Just make an official bootable W10 install on a USB with Microsoft's tool. Then you can wipe the drive completely and do a clean install, it will activate itself once it connects to the internet. As long as you install the same region and version (home, pro) of W10 that is.
>>
>wutang clan

i prefer die antwoord
>>
File: Capture.png (33 KB, 1038x731) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
33 KB, 1038x731
>>55183526
Alright so stupid question number 2.

Using this top option and selecting "Delete all"

Will that delete just the partition/drive Windows is installed in i.e. just the C: drive? I have two other 2TB drives plugged in, or should I just unplug them just to be sure. No one really gives any clarification on it anywhere.
>>
>>55183669
It shouldn't touch the other drives but unplug them to be sure.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.