[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Zephyr: New OS from Linux Foundation
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3
File: zephyr.png (15 KB, 458x250) Image search: [Google]
zephyr.png
15 KB, 458x250
Real-time OS for embedded systems by the Linux Foundation:

https://www.zephyrproject.org/
>>
>>55172643

They abandoned the GPL/LGPL licenses and chose the Apache License 2.0.

Stallman btfo.
>>
>>55172643
So, what's great with it?
>>
>>55172643
Why is it good?
>>
Fly away on my zephyr.
>>
>>55172855
>>55172755
its a real time system, ie stuff has deadlines and the scheduler ensures it meets these deadlines.

think space exploration software, shit needs to be done and done on time.

its pretty fucking useless for peraonal use.
>>
What if it fails to meet a deadline?
>>
>>55172890
Planes, all military tech.

>>55172902
That means you planned it incorrectly.
>>
File: 1464089214983.jpg (74 KB, 400x387) Image search: [Google]
1464089214983.jpg
74 KB, 400x387
>>55172902
people die
>>
>>55172643
>it maximizes the connectivity of your devices; to other devices and to the cloud!
>icon in purple circle suddenly turns into an all seeing eye
kek
>>
>>55172913
>That means you planned it incorrectly.
If I need to plan it anyway, then why do I need that OS? Why isn't it sufficient to just let specific applications handle the deadlines? Doesn't really make any sense to me.
>>
>>55173002
your OS determines what programs run when and on what cores>>55172999
. You give it a deadline and it appropriately schedules running applications in some priorities to meet deadlines.
>>
If I understand it correctly it doesn't have simultaneous multithreading, only cooperative multithreading. Thus, it's more like those template, single-application OSes. The pro is, probably, better hardware support.
>>
>>55173100
For more info, https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unikernel
But apparently Zephyr is, nevertheless , a true OS that separates kernel mode and user mode. Better security and whatever. A niche product.
>>
>>55172643
It's an embedded OS meaning, it will be used for shit like routers/sensors/ etc.

I don't see anyone on /g/ which is mostly consumer electronics wanking would care about this.
>>
>>55172643
>Zephyr
https://www.youtube.com/4300fa71-3aca-46c1-9f9a-d32982b36b92
>>
>>55173194
>it will be used for shit like routers/sensors/ etc.

Linux IS an embedded OS. It does very well as one, particularly on routers.

Linux is NOT real time, which is what Zephyr is targeting. In other words, not routers and not most consumer electronics, but extremely time-sensitive sensors and hardware which needs shit to be done with a minimum of delay.

In fact, I would argue that putting Zephyr on any consumer embedded device would be absolutely harmful, and that includes routers.

>>55173100

Which is why it doesn't do preemptive multithreading (I'm not sure SMT is the correct termiology here). Preemptive multithreading relies upon the fact that the kernel can assign runtime to any process with an IRQ programmed to cause a CPU interrupt after that time has elapsed. The kernel has the ultimate power in this relationship and it will reschedule to a new process. This means that a program missing a deadline is easy shit which is guaranteed to happen, because its processing time was taken away from it.

Cooperative multithreading means that each application is responsible for its own runtime. This is why it's a terrible idea on consumer devices, because a misbehaving program could fuck it up completely.
>>
>>55172902
It gets fired.

Just kidding, shit goes haywire and people get asploded.
>>
File: okotowari_shimasu.gif (3 KB, 351x247) Image search: [Google]
okotowari_shimasu.gif
3 KB, 351x247
>>55172643
>linux foundation
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.